PDA

View Full Version : Industrial Hobbies Square Column Mill

Seastar
05-03-2006, 03:01 PM
Does anyone have experience with the large square column mill sold by Industrial Hobbies? I need to replace my mini mill.
Would I be better off with a Rong Fu RF-45 or one of it's clones??
Any help appreciated.
Bill

PHiers
05-04-2006, 08:48 PM
Bill, I assume you are talking about this type of mill-driil?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v503/PHiers/Mill5.jpg

That is the wholesale tools version I bought about 3 years ago. It has worked fine for me, I too, was replacing a mini mill. One thing that mini mill taught me was I would only buy a dovetail column mill. I did not use the mill hard, I make model engines, but it has served me well. Your mileage may vary.

japcas
05-04-2006, 09:02 PM
I have a RF-45 clone also. It is the Top Tech brand from Penn tool. I like it a lot and it is very accurate. I use it mostly for model engines also. I would think the Industrial Hobbies version would be a very good machine and if I remember correctly I believe it has a little bigger table and more travel. I think it is also a little heavier of course. I would say that if you have the money and the need for the bigger machine then go with the Industrial Hobbies version. I think the dovetail column mills are more ridgid than the standard drill mills and most people who own them seem to like them very well. I like mine a lot also and it has done everything I have asked it to do. I have added a Shooting Star DRO and a power feed unit on the x axis and think they are both very useful additions. If you are already using a mini mill then you will really like the extra ridgity and extra capacity that these mills offer. Also, I find the speed range to be very well suited for this type of machine.

Fasttrack
05-04-2006, 09:42 PM
"How I need a drink, alcoholic of course, after the hard chapters involving Quantum Mechanics. (Solve the puzzle)"

I break - i need a hint...
i'm just not seeing it - is it about tunnelling/probability?

are you interested in quantum mechanics or have a profession relating to quantum mechanics?

Seastar
05-05-2006, 07:42 AM
You're trying too hard ----
Count the letters ----

(I am a retired electronic engineer but that dosen't have much to do with it.)

Thanks for the mill info.
Bill

BobWarfield
05-05-2006, 01:00 PM
Okay, I'll spoil the fun and solve the puzzle. The number of letters in each word makes this phrase a convenient way to remember the digits of pi (not all of them of course!).

How did I guess that? Just brilliant? Nope. Just put the phrase into Google and the very first thing that comes up tells you what's up.

There isn't much new in the world. Or, as I am fond of telling people, "It doesn't matter how smart you are, if the other guy already knows the answer, you lose. Always do your research!"

Cheers,

BW

Bruce Griffing
05-05-2006, 04:09 PM
I don't know much about Industrial Hobbies, but I looked on their website and noticed that they recommend lapping the ways. This is not a generally accepted practice - so if it were me - I would not buy from them. I do have a similar Grizzly dovetail column mill and like it. It is pretty rough though.