PDA

View Full Version : Shear pin

Blackwaterforge
05-04-2006, 09:42 AM
Can any of you fellows tell me how to replace the shear pin in the worm gear that drives the clutch on the quill feed on a Bridgeport Mill? I waited on service tec for a week and he never showed up!

Herm Williams
05-04-2006, 12:42 PM
I use a common nail. I got that idea from a delta lathe manual, it calls for a nail for the shear pin.
my two cents worth.

IOWOLF
05-04-2006, 12:47 PM
I use a common nail. I got that idea from a delta lathe manual, it calls for a nail for the shear pin.
my two cents worth.

Herm, would that be on the lead screw? 10" or 14" lathe , I have a 14 and the clipy thing is missing so I just put a pin in it and wrapped elect. tape as it was rotating,been there 3 years now.:rolleyes:

madman
05-04-2006, 01:01 PM
If pin is sheared (no pun intended) use a gear puller just pull that gear off the shaft. Then use a small pin punch and carefully tap out all bits of pin. Then measure pin diameter you van use a drill (numbered type) as a go no go gauge. When you have the hole diameter go buy a expanding roll pin tap it in place and your done. I fixed mine this way many years ago and it still works well.

JCHannum
05-04-2006, 01:07 PM
Up until recommending a roll pin, madman's advice is good.

A shear pin is designed to fail before damage is done to more expensive parts of the machine. Roll pins are hardened and will not shear.

Replace shear pins with mild steel pins of the same diameter. Some may be undercut in the shear area to fail at a lower point. Common nails are good material for shear pins if of the proper diameter.

Blackwaterforge
05-04-2006, 03:18 PM
My qustion was not how to replace the pin in the shaft but how much of the machine has to be dissasembled to get the shafe back in.

madman
05-05-2006, 08:35 AM
That roll pin isnt that tough. I have had to replace them in other applications. If you want it tougher use a rolled pin i think its called a pin actually made from metal rolled up into a pin multi wall thickness thick. A regular thin walled split pin roll pin will break under heavy loading. Something you shouldnt be doing to your machinery if you can help it.