PDA

View Full Version : toolcart design

dberndt
05-04-2006, 05:16 PM
I'm thinking about building myself some sort of a tool cart so that I stop putting tools all over the benches, mill tables, lathe chip pan, lathe headstock, etc. I'm probably the messiest worker ever and I'd like to reform my ways atleast a little bit by having a dedicated place to put things back down when I'm done.

I was thinking something that had 4 or so interchangable drawers where different tool sets for various projects could be kept and easily switched around. I am just an HSM and I tend to jump around from project to project alot, one night its new toolholders, the next its linear motion tomfoolery, etc etc. So I'm requesting suggestions for an ideal toolcart design, probably to be made out of wood. Pictures, drawings, just comments all welcome.

CCWKen
05-04-2006, 06:29 PM
A couple of these might work. For $39, you can hardly buy material and make them. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=34586

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/photos/34500-34599/34586.gif

dberndt
05-04-2006, 08:20 PM
Looks like a good deal, but in the wrong country. Something in Canada is required. Shipping on something like that would kill the price.

Timewarp
05-05-2006, 12:56 AM
How about these from Lee Valley?

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p=46037&cat=1,43326,43330

CCWKen
05-05-2006, 06:19 PM
Or Busy Bee? Aren't they the equivalent of HF in Canada?

Might help to put a location in your profile next time. ;)

SJorgensen
05-06-2006, 12:52 AM
I've built several now and wood isn't very satisfactory. It flexes too much and the wood joints loosen up. In order to make one work you have to use plywood backs, sides, top and bottom to get the rigidity. Mine have to be moved quite a bit because of the small space I have. Therefore I know now that the casters that you choose will probably be the greatest factor in how well you like your project. On some of my units I put swivel casters on all four corners. I probably won't do that again unless I have to for some reason. My last two have been welded up rectangular steel tubing. It is better by a long shot. I even enjoyed making them more.

One thing that I've been thinking was that it would have been less work to prep and paint the steel tubing before I welded it. I haven't done it this way yet but the idea was to degrease all the tubing and sand them. Then I would paint all the tubing. Then I would scribe my cuts in the paint and cut the pieces. Then I would clean up all the cuts with the 4" grinder and then weld them up. Then I would clean up the welds and paint the joints. Then give it a final coat. I've been brushing on the rustoleam with fairly good results.

TECHSHOP
05-06-2006, 03:02 AM
I usually the weld up a steel platform with the casters. I then build the cabinet of plywood. I have also used the sheet metal of old clothes washer and driers. Avacado green and harvest gold shop cabnets, anyone. With a washer, turn it around, remove the back, add "internal" supports, drawers, and a solid top. There is no advantage to saving money with cheap casters, or using ones with small diameter wheels.

If you are going for the store bought variety, the USA and Canada (imports down here) made ones are usually (always?) better than the China imports.