PDA

View Full Version : Clausing Mill

Don Haworth
05-04-2006, 05:54 PM
I have a leed on a "like new" Clausing 8520 mill...have not seen it yet but it is reported to be in great shape--lots of tooling with it,ect. all for 2 grand....
--I have never run a real mill in my life other than a 'mill-drill'....so my question is-is this a good deal? Second question: Anyone have one of these and what do you think of it? Hobby use only. BTW, I can't begin to tell you all how much I have learned from this BBS---Thanks for any info!
Don in Nashville

JCHannum
05-04-2006, 06:12 PM
The Clausing is a good machine. It is copied by Grizzly and others as a small knee mill. New, the clones sell in the $2000+ range, so a Clausing in good condition is a good buy, especially if it is well tooled.

More information here;

http://www.lathes.co.uk/clausing%20vertical/index.html

SGW
05-04-2006, 07:43 PM
In good shape, with tooling, 2 grand is probably a fair price. Not a "great deal," but a fair price...and that's fine.

The 8520 is a really nice small milling machine. The only really significant possible drawback to it is its size, but if you can live within its limits, it's fine. Very accurate and well made. Some object to the Morse 2 spindle taper, but there is nothing inherently wrong with Morse 2 and if the machine is "well tooled" you'll get everything you need. Sure, R8 has more capacity, but a small mill like the Clausing doesn't have the rigidity to properly take advantage of R8 capacity, anyway. My mill has R8, and I find I use the 3/8" collet vastly more often than I use 3/4". Most of the time I'd be just as well off with Morse 2.

bob308
05-04-2006, 08:10 PM
in my area a well used one with out tooling goes for around 1,500 or more. with tooling and not abused 2,000 would not be out of line. that is i would want for mine if i decided to sell it. they are way ahead of a mill drill.

Al Messer
05-04-2006, 10:20 PM
A fellow on Nolensville Road sold one a couple of years ago for around $1100.00. I don't know how much tooling was with it, but he told me that it was in good shape. I would have pursued it but the County Property Taxes were due and I could not handle both! BTW, he sold it to some fellow who was going to make his own custom motorcycle parts with it. Good luck as in my humble opinion they are very good mills. Not as heavy and sturdy as a Bridgeport, perhaps, but a Bridgeport won't fit under my Basement ceiling.

MikeHenry
05-05-2006, 12:29 AM
FWIW, I paid a bit more than that for Clausing 8520 that was in exceptional condition, with basic spindle tooling and a Kurt 3" vise.

It was one of my better purchases, if one is concerned more with satisfaction in using the tool than in being able to gloat on the price paid.

Mike

Shuswap Pat
05-05-2006, 01:19 AM
They are a great 'Little Machine' I have had one for 10 years. It has it's limitations, but they are sweet. Parts are readily available from Clausing too. I need to put a DRO on it.

Pat

andypullen
05-05-2006, 08:00 AM
I just recently bought a Clausing 8520. It came with a set of collets, a 3 phase spare motor, a machine lamp and an Albrecht drill chuck. I thought I paid too much ($1600) for it at the time, but have been VERY happy with it and would not trade it. It's the first machine that I bought that hasn't needed any work or parts to get running. (The previous owner took very good care of it.)

It does need a digital readout, but the dials are right on the money. Hopefully, I can sell my 14.5" South Bend lathe at Cabin Fever in January and get one of the Shooting Star readouts.

When you go to look at it; take cash with you. Sometimes a little less cash will get it for you.

You'll be happy with it if you remember that it's not a Bridgeport. Like a previous poster said; he uses a 3/8" cutter most of the time. I've found that to be true with me alot of the time, too. So far, I've been able to make everything I've tried to put in it.

Andy Pullen

wschoenbeck
05-05-2006, 09:18 AM
I'll also add my 2 cents about the Clausing. I paid about $1500 for mine a couple years ago here in San Diego. A very capable machine for a home shop hacker like myself. Mine is in good condition and came with a set of MT2 collets, some basic clamping pieces, a made in India vise that works pretty well and an awfull 3/8 drill chuck on a threaded arbor made from a bolt. I replaced that with a Rohm Keyless mounted to a Jacobs to MT2 adapter that I modified to fit my drawbar. Single phase motor 120V. I agree with the comments with regard to rigidity and work envelope. It has done well for me and i'm happy with the purchase. $2k in good shape and well tooled isn't a bad deal depending of course on your location and the used equipment market there. I would have gone that high for mine if I had to.

Don Haworth
05-05-2006, 10:06 AM
Thanks for all the good info.......I can always count on you guys for the answer to just about anything! I shoud have the mill in the next week or so--will try to get pics and post...
Thanks again--BTW anyone know where the term 'swarf' comes from?
Don in Nashville

JCHannum
05-05-2006, 10:19 AM
Good luck with the mill. I doubt that you will regret the purchase.

I believe swarf is a British term that has been adopted by the HSM types due to their influence in the hobby.

In thirty some years in dealing with US machinists and shops, I had never heard it used. It was only when I began to get involved with HSM magazine and the Lautard books that I saw it in use.

I include it with boot, wing, circlip and gudgeon pin when I claim proficiency in another language.

Don Haworth
05-05-2006, 11:45 AM
----and don't forget 'Grub screw' for set screw....
Don in Nashville

IOWOLF
05-05-2006, 12:00 PM
Swarf, yep,been useing that term for years in reference to chips and stuff on the floor, among other places. ;)