PDA

View Full Version : Tool grinder, any good?

J Harp
05-04-2006, 10:43 PM
Today I was in a flea mkt., and saw what appears to be a tool grinder. It looks like it is fitted up to grind some sort of flat blade with double angle point. Looks to me like it could be adapted to grind lathe bits and such. It has dovetail slides parallel to and at right angles to the shaft, the one parallel to the shaft has a lead screw, not sure about the cross slide, all slides and rotating parts of the tool holding fixture have lock screws. the tool holder is mounted on a hefty arc which looks like it would allow about 90 deg.of movement. the whole works has a heavy brushed on coat of white paint which obscures most of the spec. plates, I could make out the words Oliver and Adrian on a circular name plate. A note in black marker says he has a drill bit holder.

Can anyone recognize the grinder from my description, is it worth the $150 asking price? thanks for your input.

Millman
05-04-2006, 10:49 PM
Without a pic, that could be a good buy or junk. Almost sounds like a knife grinder, maybe not. Can't help.

JCHannum
05-04-2006, 11:17 PM
If it is Oliver of Adrian, it is a good whatever it is. They make excellent drill pointing and tool grinding equipment. They also made die filers and other tooling.

It may be a special purpose tool, or an older grinder of some sort. The drill bit holder may indicate it is a drill pointer. It is probably well worth the $150.00 to someone who needs it.

They are still in business down the road in Adrian Michigan;
http://www.oliverinstrument.com/

Scishopguy
05-05-2006, 12:06 AM
If it has a cupped wheel with a swing arm that adjusts the angle is is like one I had at the university shop. They are all cast iron and the wheel is belt driven. The drills are clamped in a fixture that is held on the swing arm in a dove tail clamp. These are great little sharpeners!!! They will not turn loose or throw drills at you like some of the other machines do. The company is still in business and you can get parts. I think they retail for about $1500 new. If it is in good shape and is complete, it is a steal at $150. They won't do split points but you can adjust the slope back on a drill so the drills don't autofeed in plastics.

Jim (KB4IVH)

J Harp
05-05-2006, 10:26 AM
Thanks for the replies fellows. Now that I have had time to think about it I think if it had a drill holding fixture in place of what's there now, it would make a dandy drill pointer. I'll see if I can contact the seller and try to give it a new home.

IOWOLF
05-05-2006, 12:42 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/iowolf/oliver.jpg
Does it look like this?

BTW $40.00 @ auction

J Harp
05-05-2006, 09:11 PM
Yes Iowolf, that's pretty much what it looks like. I think there may be some slight differences but not much, the jaws on the tool holder shown in your picture are not there, and it has a streight wheel, and I believe the cross slide is a bit longer than on yours, relying on memory now as I didn't have a camera with me. Thank you for the picture. Do you find it useful?

Scishopguy
05-06-2006, 12:25 AM
Wolf,

That is just like the one I had at the university shop. They are great little machines. That was a real steal for $40. I need to follow you guys around at the auctions and flea markets.

Jim (KB4IVH)

IOWOLF
05-06-2006, 08:39 AM
J Harp, the drill holder is there,1/4 to 1/2" if he has both tool holders( the 1/4" down also) well 1 holder is $300.00 from them, O/Inst. Co. I only have the one.

Yes it was a steal at $40 but so is most of the stuff I get, 'couse I can't afford much.
Lets just say It Has paid for itself.

Scishopguy
05-06-2006, 07:41 PM
quote: Yes it was a steal at $40 but so is most of the stuff I get, 'couse I can't afford much.
Lets just say It Has paid for itself.

Hey wolf, I resemble that remark 8^>
Since I retired I am into flea markets, garage sales, and the occasional trash pile by the road. Being able to fix stuff is GOOD!!!

Jim (KB4IVH)

J Harp
05-06-2006, 08:16 PM
Thanks to all for the good info. the machine has a hand lettered note saying he has the drill bit holder. If my wallet would stand it I'd go after it tomorrow, but as usual my wants outrun my finances, got a trip planned and have to get that out of the way first.

When the gardening gets caught up a bit I'll take the challenge and post pic's of what I've made so far, not much but it's a start.