PDA

View Full Version : Heads up on a quality DRO

A.K. Boomer
05-05-2006, 12:01 PM
I just wanted to let everyone know that if their looking to find a quality little DRO with glass scales and a few frills like bolt hole calculator and such to check out the Jenix units that Tim Barnard sells, I just put one on my JVM-8-36 jet and am very pleased with the quality (its south korea) and performance, the scales register to 2/10ths and the unit is built very well and I dont think you will find a better price anywhere, Tim sells these units off of E-bay and also has his own website that im pretty sure you can get to off of E-bay or at least ask him questions should the unit selling on e-bay not be the right one for your machine due to scale size or other preference, Just go to e-bay and punch in Jenix DRO to check it out, Now that i have it I cant imangine running my machine without it!

Arbo
05-05-2006, 12:11 PM
Who do you think you're dealing with here? The first post, and you plug this thing shamelessly. GO AWAY! BEFOR I SIC THOR ON YA!

IOWOLF
05-05-2006, 12:31 PM
Mine from CDCO is better.and cheaper.

So go peddal your stuff elswhere, or ask V/P for ad prices

A.K. Boomer
05-05-2006, 09:49 PM
Logged on a couple of months ago and someone put in a positive about the Jenix, so i checked it out and ended up buying it,,, so I registered today to do the same because i appreciated someone steering me in the right direction, I checked out CDCO long before i decided on my Jenix but declined because of country of origin and only 5/10ths resolution --- Sorry, ohhh --- who do I think im dealing with??? Do you really want me to answer that?!!!
Good god, no offence fella's but i hope thors got it going on a little more than you two, i barely had enough umph to lift my fingers and type this...

gundog
05-05-2006, 10:02 PM
AK Boomer,
If what you say is true you must understand how it looks to the rest of us. If you are just a happy user stick around they will warm up to you. If you are here just plugging your wares I agree with what was said. This is not a touchy feely site and most guys tell it how they see it I like that. It can be hard to take sometimes when you don't like the answers or comments made but we are just a bunch of metal head type people for the most part some have more feelings than others and some are straight to the point. Just like life isn't it?
GD

PHiers
05-05-2006, 10:04 PM
Hey Boomer,

Don't let them get to you, to head this kind of comment off just put the following at the end of your post:

"Just a happy customer, no finanicial interest, etc."

That way they know you are not advertising a product just reporting on it.

I always like hearing about products that work well.

A.K. Boomer
05-05-2006, 10:16 PM
Thanks Bro's, when i heard about the jenix i came here and punched it into a search engine and the reviews were good, I guess i can understand these guys thinking something else seeing it was my first post, I also used this site along time ago to find out about the shoptask bridgemill and thanks to you people I found out that it wasnt the machine for me, Yes im for real, and im happy with my DRO and i agree if someone is using a post like this to advertise for their own needs that thats a screw...

IOWOLF
05-06-2006, 08:22 AM
PHires, If he had been lurking, he would have known that,But thanx for pointing it out .

A.K., Only 5/10's resolution, Yea, I am real upset about that,I have decimal + 5 Points, what is that?I wish I can figure out how to cut it back to 3 dec points , 0.000 as it is as close as My old mill can get, and I am not building a space shuttle any time soon.
I am sorry if I hurt your feelings.(now there is a first for me).

----------------------------------
The Very Tame Wolf !

A.K. Boomer
05-06-2006, 12:00 PM
iowolf Im sorry you have to work on your dads old mill, god that must be frustrating, as you know some people have better machinery than you and as i hope you know DRO's are also used on EDM machines and lathes, example --- when boring or turning 2/10ths is actually 4/10ths and 4/10ths can be the difference on certain diameter parts between the press fit your looking for or the trash can, now since some people still flop the head of their mill to the side and use it as a lathe do you see how this can make a difference even in a milling DRO?
"I have decimal + 5 Points, what is that?I wish I can figure out how to cut it back to 3 dec points" -------- iowolf ---- only 3/4s of an inch of black electrical tape seperates you from your wildest dreams, Glad i could help, thats what this site is all about...

BobWarfield
05-06-2006, 03:55 PM
Thanks for the report Boomer. I know the guys building Shumatech DRO's all love the Jenix scales. You can read more about them on the Yahoo Group:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ShumaTech/

I had also seen that other brand IOWolf mentions, but hadn't realized it was less resolution. Good to know. I haven't looked close enough to tell the price diff between the two, but I do know the Shumatech crowd likes to buy Jenix scales from this guy based on prices:

http://www.digitalreadoutsystem.com/company_info.htm

Ya, he's my brother-in-law and gives me half the profit every time one sells!

<Just kidding, relax, dial down, geez this site is up tight!>

Best,

BW

IOWOLF
05-06-2006, 09:53 PM
A.K. why dont you read my Post.
http://www.homeshopmachinist.net/bbs/showthread.php?t=18924

It might enlighten you.

Oh and there is another so called machinist web site where you would fit right in, Metalillness.com.

A.K. Boomer
05-07-2006, 12:27 PM
Brother in law discount? that usually ends up costing me more!,,, yeah iowolf is correct on that the cdco is a little cheaper than the jenix but thats a quality issue in my opinion, the jenix has better res. + its s. korea, i really shopped around before i decided and thats what everyone should do, i think for the most part i would try and stay away from the rack and pinon type scales (trax systems?) as i dont think you should have mechanical movement in a linear scale due to wear and chips and such but what good is a DRO if you cant afford one, but thats also why i got the jenix because it was very reasonable, its very close to china's cheapest priced, many choices out there and im reminded how great of a day in age we live in when units like these were over a couple grand not to long ago, I think i worded all of this sales pitch correctly, now maybe the boss will give me a raise (kidding ---- just kidding!)

A.K. Boomer
05-07-2006, 12:36 PM
IOwolf, thanks for the mentalillness site - it is a good one, no hard feelings, just try a little harder to give people the bennie of the doubt --- i really didnt have much to share on this site till i bolted on my new dro...

IOWOLF
05-07-2006, 06:02 PM
The cdco is glass scaled, and I am happy with it. You got the same thing for $100.00 more. I hope you always will be happy with it.

IOWOLF
05-07-2006, 06:04 PM
IOwolf, thanks for the mentalillness site - it is a good one, no hard feelings, just try a little harder to give people the bennie of the doubt --- i really didnt have much to share on this site till i bolted on my new dro...

Benefit of the doubt? Only when deserved.

A.K. Boomer
05-07-2006, 08:02 PM
IOwolf, Iv made my last attempt to give you the benifit of the doubt but now the proof is in the pudding, your thick in the head and not very intelligent, when i stated that some DRO's use the rack and pinon system i imediatly put in () "track system " which i believe is out of canada, and ONE MORE TIME i didnt get the same thing as you, i got 2/10ths resolution and S.korean electronics! YOU got china and 5/10ths You saved a hundred buck but my DRO will drag your DRO sideways --- this is a great site but i can already tell it needs an enema... I hate to think of some of you poor guys that have had to endure some 2,000 plus post from the jackel or ooops i mean iowolf..................... BRING IT, and bring your grandma to --- were gonna have us sum fun boys!!!!!

wmgeorge
01-01-2007, 07:44 PM
The cdco is glass scaled, and I am happy with it. You got the same thing for $100.00 more. I hope you always will be happy with it.

Gee, I found this in a search, just wondering IO is this still working ok for you? I'm going to call the guy (Frank) tomorrow to see if I can get one set up for my Mini-mill. Using the slim line glass scales and the standard display... not sure if he can sell them at a price I can afford!! BG in Ankeny.

lazlo
01-01-2007, 08:03 PM

The CDCO is the Chinese DRO system -- same as Birmingham and Uniq. Great price point, and way more accurate than the caliper- (rack and pinion) based DRO's. The Jenix system is made in South Korea: very high quality glass scales (5 um resolution standard, I have 2 um scales on my lathe crossfeed), with an aluminum case and armored cables. About half the price of a Newall. There's several other happy customers on PM, if you search the archives.

I have two Jenix setups, a three-axis system on my Millrite knee mill, and I'm in the process of installing a 2-axis system on my Clausing lathe.

The Jenix distributor in the 'States is Tim Bernard at Linear Measuring Systems -- he's a really nice guy. Tim is also an authorized Newall, Accurite, Mitutoyo and Birmingham/Uniq dealer, so give hime a call and he can give you a good run down of the various price points.

I'm not affiliated with Tim or Jenix in any way, other than being a very satisfied customer.

DeereGuy
01-01-2007, 08:17 PM
A guestion for you guys with the Jenix Dro systems. I got one of the manuals for these from Tim and didn't see a way to use tool offsets on the mill. I have A DRO350 that I built 4 years ago and would miss that feature.

lazlo
01-01-2007, 08:20 PM
I got one of the manuals for these from Tim and didn't see a way to use tool offsets on the mill. I have A DRO350 that I built 4 years ago and would miss that feature.

That's a good question -- the 350 heads do support tool offsets, but it's not the in HTML version of the manual that Tim has on his web page.

I have the offset manual page on my computer -- I'll PM it to you...

DeereGuy
01-01-2007, 08:24 PM
Lazlo, thanks, Tim didn't really seem to understand what I really wanted. If I would have known they had these I would have ordered one last year.

speedsport
01-01-2007, 08:39 PM
I think all you guys should go to metalillness, A-drain is really a great guy and can show you how to do ANYTHING!, he is gods gift to anyone who plays with metal, he is a ex-pert at everything!

lazlo
01-01-2007, 10:05 PM
Bob,

I found the two Jenix tool offset pages (Tim sent them to me as BMP's from a fax, which I converted to .Gif), but you have your email disabled on your profile. Send me a PM with an email address, and I'll mail the gif's.

Basically, to set 1 of 9 tool offsets, you go into ABS mode, and hit 'F' (function) -> (Tool Number) -> 'X' -> 'PRESET' -> (Offset Amount) -> 'ENT'

Cheers,

Robert

Rich Carlstedt
01-01-2007, 10:59 PM
Bob
That yahoo website is for members only..
You have to join to find out what anyone is saying..sort of weird ?
Rich

Rich Carlstedt
01-01-2007, 11:24 PM
Lazlo
A correction please to your statement (that glass scales are )
" way more accurate than the caliper- (rack and pinion) based DRO's"

This is an incorrect statement. I have a 1981 Spaulding Digital readout that came off a Jig Borer. Spaulding made rack units back then that were accurate to less than 2/10's.
How good were they? well mine still works after 25 years !

You may want to visit the site below that points out 50 Millionth's accuracy available in precision rack construction.
I am not testifying about any particular DRO, but pointing out that accuracy is only a function of the care in constrution.
I have no way of knowing whether the Glass scales being mentioned were made with precison, or laid out by hand !!!!. Does the buyer know ?
Newall makes the finest DRO available today, IMHO, but if some importer comes out and throws any size ball in the tube, does that make it comparible to Newal?...see what I mean

When ever evaluating measuring instruments, concern should be held for the
precision of manufacturing, in addition ,to the "Style" of gage.
A diamond ring from eBay is not the same from Tiffany's..I assure you
Do not disregard any technology without knowing its limits, or assume that it cannot fullfill the purpose needed for the job

Check this out:
http://www.schlenkent.com/3_preciseoperation.htm

I don't mean to be harsh guys, but I also don't want you to be carried away by the mere statement about glass scales...

Rich

jones
01-02-2007, 07:31 AM
If nobody has found it yet. YADRO DRO is a computer based digital readout that take the output from those digital calipers and converts it into data that the computer can read.

http://yadro.de/

The beauty of this system is it's cheaper than any other DRO (if you have an old computer), and it allows much greater flexibility than others. You can program your own macro's that can do almost any calculation. There is a macro that the creator has made that calculates the steps needed to make a harmonic cam for a four stroke engine. AMAZING!

I think I am going to get one soon (well.... soon-ish) so I will let you know how it pans out.

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with yadro.de or the owner.

IOWOLF
01-02-2007, 12:24 PM
Yes I do still have the CDCO DRO and I am very happy with it.

More so than "My Dads old mill" Just Joking, The Wells Index is a wonderful mill.

wmgeorge
01-02-2007, 08:34 PM
Yes I do still have the CDCO DRO and I am very happy with it.

More so than "My Dads old mill" Just Joking, The Wells Index is a wonderful mill.

Got one coming, the display only 2 axis for milling, this is for the glass scales = $189 and two of the slim line glass scales, grand total price with shipping around $390. This is for my HF mini mill. I could not see spending money for the other type of scales when these are more or less sealed and the cables are permanently connected to the reader or pickup module. I'll need to make my own mounts for the scales, but it is something I can handle. BG