PDA

View Full Version : Trying to Contribute

wschoenbeck
05-05-2006, 11:25 AM
With regard to lurkers. I lurk therefore I am. I don’t post much and only post if I feel I have something to add to a thread (not very often) or I have a question. I added a “me too” response to the thread about the Clausing 8520 because I have one and like it a lot. The fellow who started that thread will be happy with it if he gets it.

After reading Sir John’s thread encouraging people to post their creations, simple or complex, warts and all I have to say I agree with him. I read almost all the threads here and on several other forums, machining related and others. I have learned a great deal from the folks who post here. So in that regard here is a setup I did a year or so ago on my SB9 to drill to a certain depth. Several points to make. The first being the 4” Bison 4 jaw. I bought this for my Atlas 6” lathe and turned a back plate for it on that lathe. I needed to use it on the SB but didn’t have a back plate to fit so I removed the plate from the 4 jaw that came with the SB (but which had no top jaws it being of the 2 piece variety) and turned a spigot on it for the smaller Bison. Now I can use it for either. One day I’ll make soft jaws for the larger chuck.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b222/bill8410vna/Shop%20Shots/depth_indicator.jpg

Next is the indicator. I wanted to drill the block in the chuck to a specified depth. Set up the indicator and stand but what to register on? I used a hose clamp to hold a U shaped bracket to the drill chuck for the indicator to bear on, set a zero with the large drill at the surface of the part and drilled the hole to the depth I needed. There is a pilot hole in the piece but for some reason it doesn’t show in the pic. The machinist clamp used to hold the longer flat piece to the bracket was made by me as the first project for the Clausing. I still don’t have a knurling tool so the shop made knobs are smooth.

Oh yeah, what the heck am I making? It’s the body for the ruler stand I found in George Thomas’ book “Model Engineers Workshop Manual”. Sir John, Alistair and Norman A will know the title as George was a Brit as well. The book is available from several UK sources. If I made every project in that book it would keep me busy well into my 80’s and beyond (I’m 53) but my wife might have something to say about that. A ruler stand might not be the most useful item as I have a vernier height gage but it looked like a good learning project. I’ve looked on this computer (at work) but don’t have a pic of the project. I’ll post one later from home.

So, for all who lurk, de-lurk and post something. Let’s keep up the great quality of this site by contributing. I’ll try to do like wise as my program manager (She Who Must Be Obeyed) allows.

IOWOLF
05-05-2006, 11:36 AM
Well done , Keep 'em coming.

Frank Ford
05-05-2006, 11:46 AM
Bill -

Right you are. We're all looking for input, and your hose clamp trick is just the kind of thing I like to file away in the back of my mind. Add enough quick tricks together, and you have a career. . .

Evan
05-05-2006, 11:59 AM
That's a good idea. Nice taste in lathes BTW. I must say that the work area that I can see is entirely too clean though. :D

wschoenbeck
05-08-2006, 12:07 AM
All, thanks for the comments. I had hoped to post these pics yesterday but got too busy.

Frank, Thanks, I have visited your site and found it full of inspiration for projects.

Evan, I thought you might like the lathe. Yeah, it happened to be clean at that moment in time. Right now that isn't the case. I also keep it covered with a cloth when not in use as it shares space with the wood working equipment in the shop. Here are two pictures of the rule holder I was making. General arangement is first followed by the parts. I couldn't take out the screw as the knob is locktighted on. I have got to build a knurl tool.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b222/bill8410vna/Shop%20Shots/rule_holder2_web.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b222/bill8410vna/Shop%20Shots/rule_holder_web.jpg

Evan
05-08-2006, 12:20 AM
That is also interesting. Is it also true vertical? Not that it really matter much for a height measurement.

I have got to build a knurl tool.

You got that right. I have an Armstrong three way knurler that I bought quite a few years ago. I don't recall what I paid for it but I saw the same one on sale in the KBC catalog recently for over 400 dollars.

There is more than one way to make a knob. If you use a change gear on the SB to index the spindle as I do you can then just rack the carriage with a tool turned sideways. It doesn't take all that long as a single pass is sufficient. You can do a longer section and cut it up into knobs as needed.

Here is one made that way:

http://vts.bc.ca/pics/knobindex.jpg

gmatov
05-08-2006, 01:45 AM
Is a knurling tool actually that expensive? I have several that I rarely use, too many, actually. Will have to lay them out and photograph them or scan them.

Certainly don't need all of them. Will see what I can post as excess. Price would be as people's desire. I don't want to make big bucks, but DO want to reduce the clutter in my garage cum shop.

Cheers,

George

Millman
05-08-2006, 04:48 AM
cum shop. Hey George, Just what / or who , are you doing in that garage/shop? Your secret's safe with us!

Alguy
05-08-2006, 07:33 AM
I agree with evan nice lathe and too clean,, lol . I do remember some of the pics Rudy did , oh so clean ! and nice tip on the hose clamp , like frets i like to try to file those away and hopefully remember someday when i need it.

wschoenbeck
05-08-2006, 09:10 AM
Evan, Hmmm, I don't know if it's truly vertical or not. I'm sorry to admit I never put a square up to it to see. Looks pretty close by eye ;)

Regarding knurling, the knobs on the clamps were subsequently fluted once I got my dividing head. Talk about swatting a fly with an elephant gun. I used a small ball end mill I had and put five flutes in them. Much better feel to them now. I like your example. I haven't tried that technique yet although I have read of it from you and elsewhere. One example I saw used a sharp 60° tool for the axial grooves and again to put circumferential grooves ending up with a pyramid shape to the knurl like that in camera equipment. Looked great too. I plan on building Rudy's knurl tool or the one from Guy L's Bedside Reader or a hybrid that would fit the Aloris tool post I have now. Sir John's posts on knurling are also interesting. So many potential projects :D

BobWarfield
05-08-2006, 04:48 PM
Nice work, wschoenbeck!

I love project in progress pictures, especially when they show jigs or clever ways to set up and use the tools. Note: what looks clever to me is often obvious to you, so don't fail to post if you don't think it's clever!

I also like to see finished results. One thing I wish were talked about more is how to get a fine finish for the part. Evan's knurled knob is a good example. Obviously there is a lot taken for granted in getting to that final result. Would love to see some blow by blows on what happens to parts after they're taken off the machine with pix.

I was playing with my el-cheapo bead blaster this weekend, for example. Running some BT-8 beads I was getting a gorgeous satin finish on an aluminum panel for my CNC lathe project. Hadn't expected it to be so easy. Will post some pix when the panel is more nearly along. I just stopped to experiment with it in the midst of cutting and drilling.

Any posts on anodizing, blueing, vibratory polishing, favorite methods to deburr, and the like are welcome. One last comment on this area. I also got to play with a set of Keo zero flute deburring cutters. I think they're on sale at Enco right now. Man, these guys are really slick, at least for the aluminum panel I tried 'em on. Puts a nice little chamfer top of the hole, no muss, no fuss. I just stuck the thing in the drill press and went to town on the the holes I was drilling.

Enjoy,

BW

PS I love the "all things of a type" posts. Someone did one for fixtures and jigs on one site that was really cool. How about one for knobs and knurling? Or one to do with machining for bearings and bushings. Show both the result and a shot or two of the setup. Everyone is doing that stuff, so shouldn't be hard to find players.

As long as there are a lot of pix and ideas!

spkrman15
05-08-2006, 09:19 PM
Nice work. Keep the pictures comming.

Rob :)

gmatov
05-08-2006, 11:52 PM
Millman,

I guess what I am doing is F***ing things up.

Cum as in also known as. I think it is a broad "U", as in "coot", or whatever they call that "U" sound.

Actually, I am not doing much. More categorizing and storing, get stuff put away. Can't hardly walk in it. Need some ROOM! Need another building.

24 X 28 garage, wood and metal work in the same cramped area. Too many machines, too little space, too much storage, too much to fit IN that storage space. Why I think I should reduce what I have. Trouble is, I don't really want to.

How many of any one thing does any one man need, unless they're 100 buck bills, which are compact.

Cheers,

George

I'm not in business. Anybody got a need for anything in particular? If I got it, and a deal could be made, I have GOTTA get rid of some stuff. I am not an e-bay kind of guy. I buy pistols, BP mostly, at auction, but am not into selling stuff that way.

Millman
05-09-2006, 07:32 AM
George, I know what you mean by cramped; but, how could a guy have TOO many machines? Last 2 wks. my wife and I have moved an assembly cabinet4by6 footer on casters; thank God probably 30 times back and forth to make room for insulating and painting the shop. Always a neighbor who needs welding when I'm busy, woodworking and metalworking all at the same time gets to be a PITA when you're trying to remodel...so I can relate to that. But come on, man...Too many machines? Wish I had that problem!