PDA

View Full Version : 2nd fasted car for 0-60 in the world! And its electric!

cuemaker
05-05-2006, 02:18 PM
Check out

http://money.cnn.com/2006/05/04/technology/business2_wrightspeed/index.htm

and

http://www.wrightspeed.com/x1.html

Absolutely amazing.

edit: on the wrightspeed website, there is a video of it racing a Ferrari spider and a Porsche GT.

torker
05-05-2006, 03:34 PM
cuemaker...This reminds me of my old sceince techer from the 60's.
He told us that "someday" electric race cars would rule the track(we thought he was nuts of course). He went on to tell of the monster torque and power these would make if they ever got the power requirements figured out.
Happened a bit later than he figured it would but it's still pretty incredible.
Russ

Evan
05-05-2006, 04:01 PM
Did you watch the race with the first turbine car at Indianapolis? Parnelli Jones wiped the field. They didn't have a chance on the straights, he pulled away like they were stopped. If a $2 bearing hadn't failed he would have won. If you are looking for total power output including power source (fuel) a turbine cannot be beat by any other prime mover. They were forced to restrict the intake size to make turbines non-competitive or piston engines would have been history, right then and there.

abn
05-05-2006, 04:15 PM
I'd like to see more with just the electric car so I can hear how it sounds without the IC engines or tire squeal drowning it out...

As they were going through the specs...I couldn't help but think "GSXR 1000, 400 pounds, ten thousand dollars, and you'd probably do just as good in a crash"...

Schutzhund
05-05-2006, 05:29 PM
[quote=abn]I'd like to see more with just the electric car so I can hear how it sounds without the IC engines or tire squeal drowning it out...

http://revver.com/video/8660/62/?__session_just_started__=1

Schutzhund
05-05-2006, 09:47 PM
That thing is just...intense.

I always knew there was potential for that kind of performance from an electric vehicle. From the days of my childhood, playing with R/C cars. I always wondered why it couldnt be scaled up. I'm glad to see that technology has caught up to make it a reality.

lenord
05-05-2006, 09:54 PM
Cuemaker,

Thanks for posting that :cool:
I hope that guy and others like him suceed.

Lenord

speedsport
05-05-2006, 10:33 PM
I Want One!!

Rich Carlstedt
05-05-2006, 11:30 PM
I have known a few builders of electric cars, and they all are fast.
The two VERY unique things about this version is the batteries, which are lightweight compared to Lead Acid and the 3 phase AC drive.
Most cars are DC, but this baby is VFD !

Back in the late 70's , our military investigated using the same thing, except, the motor was in the wheel (s) and it looked like a disc brake !
No drive line, and a big reduction in sprung weight. They were hampered at that time by a lack of solid state controls...."chips" for you home gamers

Down side of electric cars.
Lack of Power steering,Heating and A/C (very expensive)

Upside
True 4 wheel proportional drive,
Braking beyond belief

Rich

abn
05-07-2006, 11:12 PM
I'd like to see more with just the electric car so I can hear how it sounds without the people laughing and the wind noise drowning it out...:):):):)

[quote=abn]I'd like to see more with just the electric car so I can hear how it sounds without the IC engines or tire squeal drowning it out...

http://revver.com/video/8660/62/?__session_just_started__=1

jkilroy
05-08-2006, 01:15 AM
$100K? Sounds like a bargain compared to my $500 a month fuel habbit, and a lot more fun than anything I drive thats for sure.

wierdscience
05-08-2006, 09:33 AM
$100K? Sounds like a bargain compared to my $500 a month fuel habbit, and a lot more fun than anything I drive thats for sure.

Yabut you would be trading it for a $500/month electricity habit:eek:

Al Messer
05-08-2006, 09:42 AM
I listened to that race on the radio and was really impressed of hoe quiet the turbo car sounded as it went around. And you are exactly right about the intake restriction--the good old boys club struck rapidly and visously at this "newbie". BTW: the principle must have been kept alive in somebody's mind as this was brought back to life in the M1 Abrams tank which has a published top speed that is absolutely awesome. Actual top speed is still classified I believe.

Wirecutter
05-08-2006, 12:01 PM
That car is just cooool. Of course I want one, too.

I spent some time on the Wrightspeed and Ariel websites checking out the "Atom" car platform. Very neat stuff. I'm a bit confused, though. The Atom can be purchased for as little as around $40000, if you get the cheapest engine package and few options. In the case of the Wrightspeed car, you don't need any of Ariel's engine packages, so it should be even cheaper. Suppose it's now $38000 for an engine-less Atom.

That means it's another $62000 worth of electric motor, batteries, and "dealer markup"? Sure, it's a great vehicle, but is it that great?

Mcgyver
05-08-2006, 02:18 PM
If a $2 bearing hadn't failed he would have won..

so that's how they could afford the turbine, ebay skate bearings on the rest of the car :D