View Full Version : Searching for a "Center Scope" to for Milling Machine use

05-05-2006, 03:31 PM
Thanks to members, I found the tool I needed and it is on order! Many thanks to the knowledgeable members who helped out!!!

05-05-2006, 03:38 PM
I've never seen one of those myself but I'm curious how you'd line it up. On a centerpunch mark or scribed lines I'd assume. How accurate is it anyway?

05-05-2006, 04:02 PM


05-06-2006, 12:40 AM
These are very handy for centering your indexer on the mill. You turn a short shaft so that it has a 60* point on one end and a slight step just below the taper (so you don't drop it down the center hole while chucking it in the indexer). This scope is adjustable from side to side. You put it in the spindle and bring the quill down close to the work. Slowly bring the quill up while looking through the eyepiece until you focus on the point. By swinging the eyepiece 180* you can adjust the line in the picture so that it is in the same orientation on either side. Then you turn the eyepiece 90* and do the same all over again, this time moving the table instead of the adjustment on the scope. It will get you on center in just a few tries.

Jim (KB4IVH)

05-06-2006, 04:05 PM
Somebody around here (Sir John, maybe? I forget, think it was a UK chap) has done this with a webcam for a computer with good success. I kept thinking it would be posted, but I've never been able to see it on the web. Wouldn't help if you don't have a 'puter in the shop, but very cool if you are doing CNC or something and need one anyway.