PDA

View Full Version : Which Drill Chucks Should I Buy?

lugnut
05-05-2006, 07:38 PM
I have an 8“ Ridgid floor model DP 15500 drill press with a 15mm JT3 chuck. I really don’ like the chuck. It seems to slip the drill bits a lot. And I also have a couple of chucks (one 5/8 and one ½) that came with my Grizzly G0516 Combo machine. They are not any better. I think I need to upgrade all three chucks. So I’m asking what is your advice on good quality chucks. I have seen several used Jacobs Ball-Bearing Super Chucks on Ebay, but who knows if they are worn out or not? What is the preferred Chuck? One more question, How does the Enco Ball-Bearing Super Duty Chucks compare with the Jacobs?

Thanks for your input
Mel

PaulT
05-05-2006, 08:28 PM
If $ is tight, I'd look at the Rohm chucks, available often on sale from www.use-enco.com . I wouldn't go any cheaper than those chucks or you'll be just going around in a circle.

I've had a Rohm keyless chuck on my mill for many years and its worked well, almost as nice as the Albrecht one I also have.

The Jacobs ball bearing chucks are great if you can afford one. They are so smooth and grip so hard that for smaller drills you can just use them like a keyless chuck.

Chucks can be pretty easily abused, so I'd be nervous about a used one. Be careful , Jacobs also makes some low end chucks that aren't so hot.

Good luck-

Paul T.

charlie coghill
05-05-2006, 08:52 PM
????????? Double post.

charlie coghill
05-05-2006, 08:53 PM
Lugnut, maybe you already do this but if not, tighten the chuck using all three holes in the chuck. Tighten one than go to the next hole and tighten the chuck and than on to the other hole.

This seens to get the chuck thghter and it will hold the drill better.

madman
05-05-2006, 09:03 PM
c hOW MUCH WOOD COULD A WOODCHUCK CHUCK IF HE FELT LIKE GNAWING ON A CHUCK OOOPPPSS. sORRY. mOMENT OF MADNESS. tHE JACOBS ARE NICE THE ALBRECHT AND ROHM OK. tHE THING IS TO GET THE PROPER CHUCK KEY FOR THE JACOBS DO NOT USE THE CHINESE CHUCK KEYS. aLSO TIGHTEN UPWARDS WITH THE CHUCK KEY PERHAPS USE A shortA little pipe to securelt snug the drill into the chuck. Tighten all three jaws evenly and your new expensive tool will last you a long long time. Have fun. Mike

PHiers
05-05-2006, 09:56 PM
Lugnut,

I had the same problems you have with the chucks that come with the machines, they just aren't very good. For my lathe tailstock chuck I had a Jacobs headstock chuck from a atlas 6 in lathe I owed at one time. I bought a blank end morse taper and threaded it the 1x10 that the chuck had. This is a great chuck! (the darn blank end morse taper cost me 45 bucks tho)

For my mill-drill I just bit the bullet and bought a new Jacobs 14n ball bearing chuck from Enco, on sale for a little less than a 100. This was worth every penny of the cost. I would not try the used route if I were you, you can get some real junk.

gizmo2
05-05-2006, 10:16 PM
Like Charlie says, go round and round cinching it up using each hole until you don't get any more movement. Like tightening head bolts, kinda. Helps a bunch.

gundog
05-05-2006, 11:05 PM
A few more things clean the inside of the chuck and get the lube off of them carb cleaner works good same with the drill if you handle them with oily hands they will slip also make sure the bits are sharp and you are not over feeding them and turning at the proper speed for material and size of cut. I bought a used Albrieght for my m/d on ebay for about $45 it came with a enco brand that was brand new the used Albreight is twice the tool.
GD

Scishopguy
05-06-2006, 12:14 AM
Lugnut,

As others have said, the Jacobs super ball bearing chucks are a real quality piece of tooling, I have one that I got used and it has been a real workhorse. The cleaning thing is really important. Chips and goo get up in the tracks the jaws ride in and will make them "jerky" to operate. You can get rebuild kits for them from Jacobs and if you get the chuck for a reasonable price it is worth concidering.

Albrecht chucks are super precision but pretty pricey. A 1/8" to 1/2" model will cost you about $165. The Rohm chucks are a very good and reasonably priced alternative. One thing about the keyless chucks is that they turn loose if you reverse the spindle. If you are tapping a hole with the tap in the chuck (whether in neutral by hand or under power), it will let go when you back up. The keyed chucks are better for this.

Jim (KB4IVH)

lugnut
05-06-2006, 12:24 AM
Thanks to all of you for your help, I think I learned a couple of things about chucks here. After I posted this I found a new Jacobs chuck on Ebay and just got the word that I was the winner on the bid. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSAA:US:11&Item=7614698283
It' a new 3A and I think I got a great deal. I still need two more and will sure take all your advice into consideration while shopping.
Thanks
Mel

CCWKen
05-06-2006, 01:21 AM
That's a great deal! The 3A runs about $93 from Enco. You can pick up a Jacobs K-3 key for less than $5.

lugnut
05-06-2006, 01:32 AM
Thanks Ken. I was wondering what key the A3 chuck took. Is that a key that can be bought at a local "Ace Hardware" will I have to order from some one like Enco? Only two more chucks to go!
Thanks
Mel

CCWKen
05-06-2006, 01:50 AM
A hardware store may have them but the last time I was looking for a key at my local, they were about $12. :eek: