PDA

View Full Version : cheap drill sharpenner

Alistair Hosie
05-06-2006, 06:24 PM
what do you think of this regards Alistair

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ELECTRIC-DRILL-SHARPENER_W0QQitemZ7614503002QQcategoryZ633QQtcZph otoQQcmdZViewItem

TECHSHOP
05-06-2006, 06:45 PM
Alistair Hosie:

Black and Decker used to make something like that over here, I see them in the used tool places, and they do sell quickly. If the one you want is in good condition and cheap(<10USD with shipping, my quess) it may be ok for woodworking drills, but could be a disappointment on the machining side of the shop. I don't think the little machine has any adjustments, and they are mostly plastic. Of course they could be a whole different animal on your side of the pond.

Alistair Hosie
05-06-2006, 06:58 PM
Tech I have a full cabinet jones and shipman drillpoint professional machine which I got here in Uk so I don't need one but I see a lot of my brothers in U.S.A buying the Drill doctor and there quite expensive for what they are so I just wondered if an of my friends on the site might find this useful but as you say(and at the price I suppose it stands to reason) that for that money the would not be offering a really decent sharpen still it might suit someone here.Alistair

TECHSHOP
05-06-2006, 07:40 PM
Sorry, I was not trying to imply that there was "nothing" better on the market, new or used, in the UK. I have often found that things that "look alike" on the web and in print may not be the same in reality. When you start crossing international borders, things can get really strange. When I sold tools, a few times something that was legal in the USA wasn't in Canada. Also have seen a few German/Swiss/Japanese tools "marketed" in the US, that wouldn't pass UL (electrical standards), and then never imported. I just do not know if that "type" of drill sharpener was made to "a higher standard" in the UK, than what is found on the used market (and I think Horrible Freight) in the US.

Alistair Hosie
05-06-2006, 08:09 PM
tech anytime I have been in the U S I have been very impressed with the native American standards as well as the courteous American people who have been very friendly always too my family when we go over . On my 14 or so visits I got to know you too have much better stuff than this, and I was just thinking for the odd job here and there or for somone who does not do too much in the way of machining it might be a useful accesory to have after all the drill doctor is quite a good little device but not as cheap as this one keep well my friend Alistair

gundog
05-06-2006, 10:29 PM
Allister,
I have this one and it works good for me but they are not that cheap about $150 US.
GD

http://www.genext.drilldoctor.com/content/view/13/28/

Scatterplot
05-07-2006, 05:37 PM
I have one like the Ebay one you listed, got it from Enco for about 25 on sale one time. Since I have no other sharpener and have not yet learned how to sharpen really any other way, it works OK. About worth what I paid for it, I'd say. The thing is you don't just stick it in the hole and wait, you have to hold it in there just right and tilt it to the side, then remove the bit, rotate 180, reinsert, and grind the other side. It can take a while sometimes cause it's kinda boring to do, not a very loud or powerful machine lol. Anyways though, you have to just eyeball each side to make sure you don't make one longer than the other. Other than that, it's pretty good for cheap stuff you can do quick. I'd like a better one but I'm on a college student budget here so that's the best I got for now!

cybor462
05-07-2006, 05:51 PM
I have what appears to be the exact same one. I got it at HF. It works ok but the big drawback is the stone. If you really use it you will wear out the stone. HF does not have them in their stores but they have the tool, Go figure so you have to mail order it wait a year and pay shipping so your better off getting a new machine when the stone wears out.

Scatterplot
05-08-2006, 02:43 AM
I have what appears to be the exact same one. I got it at HF. It works ok but the big drawback is the stone. If you really use it you will wear out the stone. HF does not have them in their stores but they have the tool, Go figure so you have to mail order it wait a year and pay shipping so your better off getting a new machine when the stone wears out.

I got mine from Enco, and I think they had the stones too.

Edit: Here ya go.
Enco model 162-4101, $4 apiece. They originally had the sharpener for 43, got mine on sale at 20, then they discontinued it.