PDA

View Full Version : Enco & MSC

JPR
05-06-2006, 11:47 PM
Are Enco and MSC related?

The reason for the question is that for the second weekend in a row, both sites are down for maintenance.

Schutzhund
05-06-2006, 11:54 PM
Yes.

Both sites go down for maintenance routinely at the same time.

They even mail out their fliers at the same time. I always get both fliers in the mail on the same day.

sch
05-06-2006, 11:57 PM
MSC is the operating company, a wholly owned subsidiary of SID TOOl Co.
which also owns ENCO and recently bought J&L from Kennametal. A google on Sid Tool will give you a company history. Sid Tool was family owned, apparently til recently, but the web site is a bit obscure as too how wide spread the ownership is currently. MSC was Manhattan Supply Company.
Steve

CCWKen
05-07-2006, 01:11 AM
MSC is the operating company, a wholly owned subsidiary of SID TOOl Co. which also owns ENCO and recently bought J&L from Kennametal.

That's great! Maybe J&L will get a new online catalog system. I can't find crap there.

GRH
05-07-2006, 11:09 AM
One thing to watch is a lot of their stuff is cross referenced buy from Enco
$23.99 same item at MSC $25.99 same bin in wharehouse in Elkhart Indiana. A sales person at Enco told me this.

Enco sells a higher volume at a lower mark up and does not special order for you plus their variety is smaller, compare their main printed catalog to MSC's.

Graeme

Scishopguy
05-07-2006, 02:35 PM
MSC got control of Enco when they were in financial trouble, 8 or 9 years ago. MSC also has a really huge warehouse complex right across from the Fulton County Airport, on the west side of Atlanta, Georgia. That is why they guarantee next day shipment on most items in the southeast.

Jim (KB4IVH)

MikeG
05-10-2006, 05:35 PM
And they own SPI also.

MikeG

cruzinonline
05-10-2006, 11:14 PM
We live and die by MSC. Last year I needed a 2 17/64 (yup that odd) 4 fluted core drill. Friday evening. Found it in the Atlanta warehouse. They had the warehouse foreman stay (about 10 pm) over until I could arrange a pickup by courier and have it flown (chartered plane) to Pennsylvania. That sure was an expensive drill bit. Not the first time they have helped us out, including allowing us to pick stuff up on weekends.