PDA

View Full Version : Vertical Milling Machine questions?

gundog
05-07-2006, 02:15 PM
I have a lead on some used machines coming up for sale and I have a few questions.

1) Can the year of a BP be determined by the serial number?

2) Is 1 HP enough power for a BP for general pupose home shop milling?

3) Is Alliant American made and is it quality and can parts be found for them if needed?

4) Is Supermax American made and is it quality and can parts be found for them if needed?

I have read everything on hear I could find about checking the mills for wear I hope I can do a good job.

Charles Ping
05-07-2006, 02:46 PM
1) Can the year of a BP be determined by the serial number?

Have a look here:

http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/bridgeport/bridgeport.html

2) Is 1 HP enough power for a BP for general pupose home shop milling?

IMHO yes, 1 HP is probably enough to put through an R8 taper.

Don't know the answer to the last two questions.

Charles

wierdscience
05-07-2006, 03:18 PM
Yes 1 hp is plenty for HSM use,even small jobshop use.

I don't think either Alliant or Supermax are American made,Taiwan/Korea I believe.

If you run across a Wells Index however they are still American made so far as I know.

Leigh
05-07-2006, 08:25 PM
I've been a Bridgeport miller for almost 40 years, so I'm prejudiced. 1 hp is fine. You'll never need anywhere close to that amount of power, unless you're running on the highest speed range with a large cutter.

A.K. Boomer
05-07-2006, 09:05 PM
Gotta agree with the alliant, i think they got their start in the US but went taiwan quite awhile back.

gundog
05-07-2006, 09:26 PM
If a static phase converter is used doesn't that cut the HP and would it still be OK or would I have to buy the more expensive rotary converter?
GD

beckley23
05-07-2006, 10:41 PM
The story I heard is that when BP stopped using distributors, some of the distributors got together and had the Alliant made in Taiwan. Almost a direct a copy.
I've had a BP and I now have an Alliant. They both are about the same, and I really can't tell the difference.
I don't know about parts availability, yet; haven't needed any.
1 HP is more than enough, IMO, for the home shop.
Harry