PDA

View Full Version : HSM special edition

IOWOLF
05-07-2006, 05:33 PM
I guess I am not a modern machinist, so far I am not Impressed.
I hope this did not replace anything important.

I am glad V/P put it out,and I am sure some of you will enjoy it.
If you have no Idea what I am talking about,Its called"Digital Machinist".

This is my opinion Yours may vary,and I respect that.:p

jimmstruk
05-07-2006, 08:22 PM
What is this? A new magazine? First I have heard of it . Need more info, then I can like it or not too. JIM

Leigh
05-07-2006, 08:27 PM
http://www.antiquetechservice.com/Images/PancakeBunny.jpg

A.K. Boomer
05-07-2006, 08:52 PM
Actually i think thats a hat and i think its french?

rockrat
05-07-2006, 09:57 PM
I found mine in my mailbox yesterday. The magizine, not the french rabbit. It is the free issue to all HSM subscribers (I think that was how it was supposed to be).

I did like the hexipod photo in one of the articles. I still have to get through it. I flipped around in it and decided to save the reading for Monday night when I get home.

Can't gripe or compliment 'till I get to the back cover. I did like the supprise though. I had forgotten about it.

rock-

Weston Bye
05-07-2006, 10:22 PM
As the author of the Easy Electromechanical Stepper Motor article I will withold comment about the special issue save this:

Many truly interesting and useful posts here would have made far better articles for the special issue as well as the regular issues of HSM or MW than my meager offering. In conversation with Neil and Craig at NAMES and other occasions, they lamented the fact that Village Press can only pay for first North American publishing rights, so when fresh article material shows up here, that same material won't appear in the magazines. The tip books are somewhat different, but don't enjoy wide circulation.

The magazines are what supports this BBS so why not submit some of those excellent ideas as articles. You already have proved that you can communicate an idea as your posts attest, just a little extra effort will turn it into an article. Not only will the magazine profit and be more interesting, but you will profit too.

Weston Bye

Leigh
05-07-2006, 11:43 PM
...In conversation with Neil and Craig at NAMES and other occasions, they lamented the fact that Village Press can only pay for first North American publishing rights, so when fresh article material shows up here, that same material won't appear in the magazines.
That's true, but the definition of "same" is crucial to the discussion.

They would not publish something which appeared here verbatim. But if someone wants to write an article on a subject which was discussed here, their publication rights are not hampered in any way.

Your interpretation would mean that if someone writes a book about operating a mill, nobody else could ever write another book on that subject. That's obviously ridiculous.

Also, what appears on a BBS is a conversation, not a publication. That is also crucial to the discussion (or the conversation, if you will :D )

Weston Bye
05-08-2006, 06:02 AM
They would not publish something which appeared here verbatim. But if someone wants to write an article on a subject which was discussed here, their publication rights are not hampered in any way.

:D )
Indeed, but let's not forget my original point; there is much very good material here that would make good articles in the magazines.

IOWOLF
05-08-2006, 10:39 AM
Wes, this was not an attack on you, or any one just a comment.

Evan
05-08-2006, 11:51 AM
Also, what appears on a BBS is a conversation, not a publication.
Not so. Case law has clearly established that Village press is the publisher of this BBS and all of it's content.

ZERAN v AMERICA ONLINE INC

In this case, AOL is legally considered to be a publisher. "[E]very one who takes part in the publication . . . is charged with publication." Id. Even distributors are considered to be publishers for purposes of defamation law: Those who are in the business of making their facilities available to disseminate the writings composed, the speeches made, and the information gathered by others may also be regarded as participating to such an extent in making the books, newspapers, magazines, and information avail- able to others as to be regarded as publishers. They are intentionally making the contents available to others, some- times without knowing all of the contents --
Id. at 803. AOL falls squarely within this traditional definition of a publisher and, therefore, is clearly protected by§ 230's immunity.

This was a case regarding a defamation action against AOL. The court held that AOL was indeed a publisher of the material on the forum in question.

If material is published here first then any derivation (derivative work) cannot be sold for first publishing rights as it has already been published.

I publish (via VP) much material here, some of which would be suitable for articles. I don't wish to write articles as it is a lot of work and takes a lot of time. I have written magazine articles in the past and the amount of pay is inconsequential for the time it takes. The pay isn't the reason that anybody writes anyway. For me the time is the main issue. I don't have drawings for most of my projects and to document and produce drawings would be a major undertaking.

Weston Bye
05-08-2006, 12:14 PM
From IOWOLF: ..this was not an attack on you, or any one just a comment.

Understood, and no offense taken.

Just used the opportunity to coax other potential authors out there.

IOWOLF
05-08-2006, 01:09 PM
Thank You,Jay

Jim Caudill
05-08-2006, 01:24 PM
I thought it was a great surprise. It clearly stated that this was a "special issue" paid for by advertisers, so it was at no cost to me.

I find the information timely and interesting, seeing as how I have been working on 3 different Hurco CNC milling machines lately. After spending many hours and over $2,000 in repairs/replacement boards for the old BX contollers, I am really interested in what type of retrofits are out there and what their capabilities are. I'm even interested in almost all the advertisements. Great job Village Press, thanks for putting it together!

I'm not sure what to make of those who would criticize a "freebie", if it has no interest to you, then throw it out or better yet - pass it on to someone who might enjoy it.

RPease
05-08-2006, 01:30 PM
I'm not sure what to make of those who would criticize a "freebie", if it has no interest to you, then throw it out or better yet - pass it on to someone who might enjoy it.

Awww.........you know the type. There are those that would complain if you hung them with a new (or used) rope..........It's just hard to please some people..........LOL

IOWOLF
05-08-2006, 01:31 PM
"I'm not sure what to make of those who would criticize a "freebie", if it has no interest to you, then throw it out or better yet - pass it on to someone who might enjoy it."

Jim C.,I have a use for it ,It just didn't Impress me, thats all,I am entitled to My opinion.

IOWOLF
05-08-2006, 05:09 PM
OK, All is well now I got my real HSM magazine today, Nice grinder on the front.

I'm in my happy place now.;)

Nick Carter
05-08-2006, 06:56 PM
I have a use for it ,It just didn't Impress me, thats all,I am entitled to My opinion.

You mean the idea that my shop and indeed my house is covered with tiny aluminum chips like those that grace the cover didn't impress? Or that my wife didn't divorce me when she found tiny aluminum chips on the baby's face that I had tracked into the living room?

Evan
05-08-2006, 07:21 PM
My wife was shaking out the cover for my chair the other day and it produced a shower of tiny sparklies in the sun. I had been grinding some aluminum. She said it looked really neat... :)

Your Old Dog
05-08-2006, 08:15 PM
Boy Evan you sure "married-up" ! She works in a place with all kind of neat grinding stuff and thinks chips in the furniture is neat looking! Does it get any better than that? LOL

Leigh
05-08-2006, 08:48 PM
If material is published here first then any derivation (derivative work) cannot be sold for first publishing rights as it has already been published.
...I have written magazine articles in the past and the amount of pay is inconsequential for the time it takes.
A derivative work is very narrowly defined. If it were otherwise, nobody could publish anything. As to publication rights, see below.

So have I, and that's very true. Probably around $.00003 per hour :D

JCHannum
05-08-2006, 09:23 PM
I have had two articles published, and the pay was not inconsequential. I doubt that I spent more than a total of two 8 hour days on either of the articles.

Considering the fact that I would have made the subject regardless, the major portion of the time involved in fabrication does not enter into the equation. The actual cost in time is taking the pictures, cleaning up your shop notes into presentable sketches (VP will redraw them if needed), and writing the article.

It is rewarding to see your work published, and enjoyable to be able to share it with others.

Evan
05-08-2006, 10:40 PM
cleaning up your shop notes

That's not the hard part, it's cleaning up your shop that is. :D

[added]
As for pay, I believe VP pays $40 per page which is the same as I was paid in the early 80s by a computer magazine. I did get a bonus once for the cover.

Leigh
05-08-2006, 11:42 PM
As for pay, I believe VP pays $40 per page which is the same as I was paid in the early 80s by a computer magazine.
I think that's pretty average. I don't think I ever got that much (when I got anything at all :D ).

The most I recall getting was $100 for a 4 (5?) page article with color cover photo and many B&W photos in the story. I spent about $750 on the photography for it, so I don't think I made any money on the effort :(

John Stevenson
05-09-2006, 04:20 AM
Leigh
The entire content of this post is copyright by, and is the sole property of, the author. No assignment
of title nor right of publication shall ensue from presentation of this material on any computer site.

Is it all right then to read this and quote it :confused: :confused:

Leigh
05-09-2006, 09:31 AM
Is it all right then to read this and quote it :confused: :confused:
Yes. It's just another copy of the same text.

JCHannum
05-09-2006, 09:51 AM
As for pay, I believe VP pays $40 per page which is the same as I was paid in the early 80s by a computer magazine. I did get a bonus once for the cover.
I don't know where you got your information, but you might want to check the facts first before discouraging others from contributing. My copy of the writer's guide was obtained about ten years ago, and even then, the rates were much higher than that.

I do not have the current rates, but they pay by the word and additional for each photograph and drawing. The two small articles I have had published so far have paid considerably more than the amount mentioned, and have been well worth the time involved.

Anyone interested in contributing should contact Village Press for a copy of the writer's guide. It includes the very simple requirements for submissions as well as the current rates.

Evan
05-09-2006, 11:00 AM
I don't know where you got your information, but you might want to check the facts first before discouraging others from contributing. My copy of the writer's guide was obtained about ten years ago, and even then, the rates were much higher than that.

The Home Shop Machinist
Author's Guide

AUTHOR'S PAY

Minimum per full published page $40.00

Published photos with feature articles (each) 10.00

Cover photo* 40.00

Published pages with finished drawings** 60.00
(not requiring redrawing by our draftsman)

Short columns or articles less than full page 30.00

Filler items (less than half page) 15.00

Book or video reviews (query us first)
(We do not accept unsolicited reviews.) 40.00

Items submitted to "Chips & Sparks" are considered gratis.

From 2 years ago. It may have changed but probably not much.

JCHannum
05-09-2006, 11:13 AM
These are minimum amounts. I received several hundred dollars for each of my articles. Neither was excessively long, but each did include several photos and drawings as well as one cover photo.

Submitting articles may not bring you wealth and fame beyond your wildest dreams, but it is a very enjoyable way of adding to your shop fund with very little additional effort.

I encourage anyone interested to submit their work to VP. They do need and welcome any contributions.

Evan
05-09-2006, 11:26 AM
Leigh,

Your copyright notice is unnecessary. Copyright subsists with the author unless otherwise intentionally assigned, sold or disclaimed. Copyright under current law is automatic on creation of a work including your posts here. That doesn't stop VP from being considered the publisher of the work.

Evan
05-09-2006, 11:33 AM
These are minimum amounts.

And that is what a first time contributor with no established portfolio will probably be paid. As I said, it isn't about the money and for me at least, it isn't just a matter of "very little additional effort".

Mac1
05-09-2006, 02:57 PM
Neil, Jeff, Nick, Weston, Fred, Orest, Peter,Mathew, and Ray.
Thanks guys. Nice issue, do it again.

Milacron of PM
05-09-2006, 04:03 PM
Wow....I wasn't aware the magazine pay scale was that low per page. I wrote a 5 page article for a sailing magazine about 6 years ago and was paid $500...which sounds better I guess but the 5 pages were based on my own research that took almost a year !

Of course in the professional magazines (with advertising) the outside authors are often not paid anything, but just happen to be representing a company whose products just happen to align perfectly with the article....i.e. they get paid with free advertising mascurading as an article...although sometimes quite informative and balanced, nontheless, as long as read with eyes wide open.

StephenK
05-09-2006, 04:38 PM
I received my issue today and had a chance to browse through it. I do like the issue and thank the VP staff for putting it out. Although the articles may not appeal to all there are things to be learned.

I'm a late bloomer in the world of CNC, only dealing with Sherline/Microkinetics set ups but hopefully someday to get to the larger equipment. 73 and learning something new everyday.

Leigh
05-09-2006, 06:55 PM
Your copyright notice is unnecessary. Copyright subsists with the author unless otherwise intentionally assigned, sold or disclaimed. Copyright under current law is automatic on creation of a work including your posts here.
Hi Evan,

I know that, but I expect most readers of the board don't. I'm pretty well versed in copyright law. Thanks.

Techtchr
05-10-2006, 02:58 PM
The Digital issue is more what I am looking for in a magazine. I have recently ended my subscription to SERVO because the articles have gotten too much into hobby and toy robots and little info on CNC and industrial robots. I'm not saying they haven't had any just not enough for me to warrant subscribing to four magazines...HMS, Projects, N&V, Servo. I would like to see a magazine that focuses on the electronics for motion control and programming as it relates specifically to CNC and Industrial robots. I enjoyed most of the articles in the Special edition. I did enjoy the little AL Bot, however I would have rather seen the author use a production board and controller (AKA Basic Stamp/BasicX...) that could be salvaged to do other project when Al got boring to play with. Also, as far as I could see the author didn't offer a place to buy his board, although he said it was available from him. I can't say that I would like the expense of subscribing to another magazine, but I did enjoy the content in the S/E more than most of the issues of HSM andProjects in the last few years. If a Digital Machinist stand alone is in the future, I would likely drop HSM with a slight tear in my eye because I've been a loyal subscriber since about 1982. I still love the manual machining stuff, but I've built two CNC machines, and I'm ready to make some chips with them now!

DBW
05-12-2006, 09:28 AM
It would have been nice if the editors would provide a web site to down load
pubished programs so that those of us that still type with one finger can utilize them. Either that or print them with better contrast!

John Stevenson
05-12-2006, 10:14 AM
If it's called Digital Machinist and aims at bringing the HSM's who are interested in this technology screaming and kicking into the 21st Century then why isn't it a Digital Download.

I think someone is missing the point here especially as the first is a freebie and so anyone could d/load it and get hooked, subscriptions and passwords could follow later if the pilot is a success.

This way only the subscription users of HSM get a copy and as we have seen here not all are in favor. Open it up to the whole of the net and you will trawl in far more

IOWOLF
05-12-2006, 11:52 AM
Sorry if I am missing the point,But Then they couldn't get 50 % adverts,Perhaps I am wrong but 35(mostly partial pages)of actual articles out of 66 pages.

John Stevenson
05-12-2006, 02:14 PM
Yes they could, you download the exact electronic version of the paper copy, adverts and all. That way it bypasses any copyright laws in force today but as it's a new publication the contract can be written to cover electronic publication.

It's already happening with other mags, Evan has listed sources. It will happen one day with these mags given publishing costs etc, etc so why not start now with a new mag thats slanted to users of this technology

RobotMaker
05-12-2006, 03:42 PM
The lilAl robot was designed just for the article. It would have been much easier to use a Basic Stamp, but the Basic Stamp is just a CPU. A robot needs at a minimum a CPU, sensors, motor drivers and encoders. I was able to integrate all these on one small board. The idea I had was the machinist would not have to touch a soldering iron; they could buy the electric assembly and screw it on their robot. If someone is really interesting in experimenting with robotics, I would suggest one of the Parallax or other robots that can be assembled with just a few simple tools.
It was hard writing the article knowing that most of the audience would not have any knowledge of electronics or programming. And the worst part is I haven’t got my edition of the magazine yet! Wait, wait…

Buy the board: WWW.WiresAndThreads.com
Isn't this address in the article? I am hoping to sell enough boards to break even on all the supplies and materials I had to buy to design and make LilAl.

The Digital issue is more what I am looking for in a magazine. I have recently ended my subscription to SERVO because the articles have gotten too much into hobby and toy robots and little info on CNC and industrial robots. I'm not saying they haven't had any just not enough for me to warrant subscribing to four magazines...HMS, Projects, N&V, Servo. I would like to see a magazine that focuses on the electronics for motion control and programming as it relates specifically to CNC and Industrial robots. I enjoyed most of the articles in the Special edition. I did enjoy the little AL Bot, however I would have rather seen the author use a production board and controller (AKA Basic Stamp/BasicX...) that could be salvaged to do other project when Al got boring to play with. Also, as far as I could see the author didn't offer a place to buy his board, although he said it was available from him. I can't say that I would like the expense of subscribing to another magazine, but I did enjoy the content in the S/E more than most of the issues of HSM andProjects in the last few years. If a Digital Machinist stand alone is in the future, I would likely drop HSM with a slight tear in my eye because I've been a loyal subscriber since about 1982. I still love the manual machining stuff, but I've built two CNC machines, and I'm ready to make some chips with them now!

J Tiers
05-12-2006, 05:07 PM
Hmmm got my copy of the regular mag, but no digital edition or whatever.....

As far as copyright.......

It rests with the author, OR WHOEVER CAN "PROVE" THEY ARE THE AUTHOR.

In other words it is possible to steal the work and confuse the issue so much as to render any attempt at copyright defense not worth the effort. A good one is to sue the (actual) author for copyright infringement.

On the other hand, if you CAN prove it, you may be OK. BTW, mailing it to yourself as proof is an urban legend. But notarized copies are usually good as gold.

Don't forget that in europe (and soon to come here too), if you can get ahold of the idea, and run to the patent office, you get to hold a patent in defiance of the actual inventor, who gets absolutely nothing for his efforts.

At present, here you get to spend lots of money to try to prove you were the inventor. And maybe lose if you don't have dated, witnessed, documents, or if the other folks' document forger is better.

Writing pays somewhat less than picking strawberries as an illegal alien, on a per hour basis. Other magazines pay once, lump sum, and ask you to sign away all rights of any sort forever in any medium. If you don't like it, you are free to "starve".

The HSM deal is pretty good. Let's hope they don't wise up.

Leigh
05-12-2006, 05:48 PM
...At present, here you get to spend lots of money to try to prove you were the inventor. And maybe lose if you don't have dated, witnessed, documents, or if the other folks' document forger is better.
This is just a huge wellfare system for the scumbag attorneys, like every other governmental program in this country.