PDA

View Full Version : Tool Grinding notes for Newbies

miker
05-08-2006, 12:22 AM
I posted this on Don's board and thought that others might find it of some use.

I just scanned and uploaded 15 pages to Photobucket.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v448/mikerr/lathe%20tool%20grinding%20scans/
I had read many books on tool grinding but just could not grasp what I was looking at. 18 months of not even having a go at the grinder.
After coming across this small old college text book all was revealed. Read the pages 4 or 5 times, then walked over to the grinder with the last 3 pages and shaped a tool in a 10 minutes. No way were the angles remotely close to what they were supposed to be but I put that tool in the lathe and it cut like a beauty.
Had another couple of goes and got the angles closer. Now I know it can be done by ANYONE!!
One tip, spend a little time getting a feel for putting the tool back on the wheel in the same place/angle as when you lifted it off to cool it.
Just place it back against the wheel lightly and let it reposition itself then grind some more.
If you think the pages will be useful, print them out and take care to put them in page number sequence. One page on wheel dressing is missing.

Rgds

Scatterplot
05-08-2006, 01:42 AM
Man that is awesome! I'm gonna go grind me some bits

Millman
05-08-2006, 04:51 AM
Miker, that should really answer new guys questions. Can't be more clear than that.

JCHannum
05-08-2006, 07:33 AM
That is a good description, thanks for posting it.

What is the title of the book? It does not look familiar, and if other information is presented as clearly as this, it would appear to be a good reference for newcomers.

BobWarfield
05-08-2006, 04:33 PM
I agree with JC, I want a copy of that book. If everything is as clearly presented there will be much to learn from it.

Best,

BW

Tin Falcon
05-08-2006, 04:52 PM
Great post thanks

miker
05-08-2006, 05:40 PM
Bad news and Good news. I believe I have found the complete book which appears to have been revived and Copyrighted!! I only have some of the pages. I have removed it from Photobucket. Sorry but seems to have a current/new copyright. There is a link to the sellers here.
http://www.atpl.net.au/itemdetail.aspx?piid=5588

No affiliation with this company.

rockrat
05-08-2006, 09:24 PM
Aw crap. Missed it. Would have had to delete it with the information just provided anyway. :D

rock-

miker
05-08-2006, 10:09 PM
Thanks for being understanding. I am really embarresed about doing this. Hero to A$hole in no time flat.