PDA

View Full Version : new milling guard

Alistair Hosie
05-08-2006, 07:38 PM
I bought a seto of milling guards on ebay brand new for £42 inc del anyway at first I thought they might be too big for my mill but they fit fine.I know alot of people dont like guards but I need them with my parkinsons problem getting worse anyway here it is with guards in situ and you will also get an idea of mi middle size mill as to the post I put the other day regarding the rotary table size suitable for me thanks Alistair
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/tybachdai/100_1141.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/tybachdai/100_1140.jpg

Forrest Addy
05-08-2006, 07:54 PM
The milling guards look great, Allistair. Very sensible and practical too.

I always regarded hot chips down my neck and show laces melted together as the way of it but as I get older I wonder why I don't do something sensible like use chip guarding of some kind. At least something to contain the scatter.

Your shop is far too clean and orderly. If these pictures get out I fear they might give the public a good impression of us nasty machinists.

One thing. Aren't machine tools traditionally painted green in the UK?

John Stevenson
05-08-2006, 07:55 PM
T

One thing. Aren't machine tools traditionally painted green in the UK?

INCOMMING......................................... ...

CCWKen
05-08-2006, 08:17 PM
LOL....... I was expecting to see more green too.

Nice! Are they easy to flip or move out of the way?

Alistair Hosie
05-08-2006, 09:47 PM
Evan has a thing about my shop having green machines but I only have a few green machines ,where he got the idea I am obsessed with green I don't know :DAlistair

C - ROSS
05-08-2006, 11:36 PM
Alistair
I like the guards they are practical.

No mater what color the machines are the shop is much to clean, obviously nothing gets done there. Also I think that I saw some floor space. If you aren't going to use it how about sending it this way. I'm sure that someone over here could use it.

Ross

torker
05-09-2006, 01:36 AM
Now we know where Sir Johns floor went.
Alistair...give him a bit of it back please :D
I like them guards...I hate the burning chips that fly off my 2" endmill.
Russ

A.K. Boomer
05-09-2006, 01:57 AM
Very nice shop, and nice little mill --- what brand is it?
what is the purpose of the guards? they look like they would contain all the chips better?

Alistair Hosie
05-09-2006, 06:27 AM
The mill is a German Fritz Werner totally rebuilt including all new bearings just prior to me buying it .Glad you like it regards Alistair

pcarpenter
05-09-2006, 12:23 PM
Alistair-- tell us more about the guards if you can. I would love a closer look, so if you have the ebay item number that might get a different picture. I am thinking of either purchasing something or making them, so it is always nice to get ideas.

These look more thorough than many of the typical pieces of acrylic on a magnetic base. It looks like these have a hinged section so you can form a real "fence" of sorts around the work.

thanks for sharing. I am not very original, but love to take existing ideas...or to improve on them ;)

Paul

Alguy
05-09-2006, 06:56 PM
Another way too clean shop, i think if these clean shop phots continue i may get a complex!

Alistair Hosie
05-10-2006, 10:18 AM
yeh get an industrial complex and build a bigger shop:DAlistair

IOWOLF
05-10-2006, 11:53 AM
I have 1 of simular design, it blocks half the chips.

Alistair Hosie
05-10-2006, 12:57 PM
Wolfie let us see it and your shopI think your right this is the best design to keep the chips as in one place as yer gonna :DAlistair

IOWOLF
05-10-2006, 02:11 PM
I just threw it on for the pic. It is a enco#411.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/iowolf/SANY0204.jpg

Evan
05-10-2006, 02:48 PM
where he got the idea I am obsessed with green I don't know

I don't either, although this may be a clue.

http://vts.bc.ca/pics/am1.jpg

Nice mill and I like the colour too. :D

Good idea with the guards, I am considering similar.

Alistair Hosie
05-10-2006, 05:52 PM
Hey Evan brother all those machines were bought already green even though I painted some, they were already green by the manufacturers choice and to show green plastic boxes I am not responsible :D most of my machines are still not green I just have alot of machoines excuse typing :DAlistair

IOWOLF
05-10-2006, 07:01 PM
Damn Scottie, no comment on mine? I am hurt, I took that pic just for you 'couse you didn't think I had one, did you?

jdunmyer
05-10-2006, 08:35 PM
When I got my inserted-tooth milling cutter, I realized that I needed a shield or guard to keep the flying chips somewhat close to the BridgePort. My floor space is like most that have been described here, pretty crowded and hard to sweep. <<sigh>>

I just cut off a 20" long piece of aluminum flashing from a roll and trimmed it to 10" wide. It's still curled from being on the roll, so I simply set it on the table around the vise or part that I'm working on. Works great!

CCWKen
05-10-2006, 09:13 PM
That's all I do JD. As tough as Wolf is, I thought he would just put his hand near the vise and deflect the chips. :D

IOWOLF
05-11-2006, 04:44 AM
Nawwwww, I'm not Tough enough for that.

Alistair Hosie
05-11-2006, 06:41 AM
sorry Wolfie beautiful as all your stuff iss seriously it looks identical to mine well done son :DAlistair