PDA

View Full Version : Getting a Clausing-Colchester in my basement.

cuemaker
05-09-2006, 09:28 AM
Its a MKII made for the US.

It weights 1550-1600lbs. I want it in my large and hardly used basement as opposed to my cluttered garage. I would love to have all my wood working equipment downstairs but not being able to have my lathe down there is stopping me.

Only way in is through the house and down a flight of stairs. The stairs are fairly wide and low angle with a landing in the middle and then reverses direction to the floor.

I know I can get the attached cabinet off, with the motor leaving just the head stock and rails. What I am worried about is how much is that going to way? 1000lbs? I dont think I can take the rails off.

Is it just not possible with out a walk out basement?

Suggestions?

Forrest Addy
05-09-2006, 10:26 AM
How good a mechanic are you? Good enough to break the machine down to packable pieces? You're need two strong intelligent helpers. No beer until the job is done. Honest: no beer. Loads and stairs and gravity dictates no beer. Beer after.

Make or buy a castered platform. Scrounge the use of an engine lift. Clean them up so SWMBO can accept having them being wheeled through the house. Dismantle the lathe into handlable pieces. Take plenty of pictures as you take things apart. Tag the screws so they go back were you found them. Tag and photo any wires you have to disconnect. Clean the machine as you go.

Do not take SWMBO's perogatives lightly. Trust me, take nothing through the house you cannot lick all over or is not fully covered with old clean sheets or blankets. Do not tip anything you don't want spilled on the carpets. Wash your hands and check your shoes frequently.

Wheel the pieces one by one through the house. This is not the place for small children or interfering lovable but witless pets. Stop and unload the platform at the basement door. Reload onto a piece of 3/4" plywood (add cleats and eyebolts but so the opposite side stays smooth) about 16" wide and long enough to bridge three stair lips plus about 2" (maybe 30").

Let them slide down the stairs restrained with a hold back consisting of a rope around a 2 x 4 x 4 ft long bridging the padded basement door jambs. One man guides the load, one man controls the rope, one man hovers the load for safety.

You may be able to hump the bed with the carriage on it which will save you from having to detach the quick change and the lead screw and power shaft. But I doubt it. Play that one by ear.

The bed will be the heaviest single piece. The headstock will be the most awkward. Save them for last. Move the engine lift and the lathe components to the designated shop area. You'll never get a better time to paint and primp your new lathe so do it now.

Reassemble following the pictures you took and the manual. The only real critical joint is attaching the headstock to the bed. It's a scraped fit. Clean the mating surfaces and remove any lapped paint in the way of assembly. Lightly glide a small stone over the mating surfaces. Dress down any points where the stone tries to catch. Hoist the headstock with the engine lift. Oil the mating surfaces and lower. The headscock should glide freely until the oil squeezes out. It's also a good test for a clean assembly.

Procede with assembly and level. Work clean. Connect to power.

OK. The lathe is in the basement. How are you going to keep from tracking chips around? SWMBO will NOT like chips or oily foot prints in the carpets. Hint shop shoes inside the metal shop threshold; house shoes outside.

Yup, I done this before.

SGW
05-09-2006, 01:01 PM
...what Forrest said.

Mechanically, a lathe is a pretty much a straightforward bolt-together proposition. You should be able -- following Forrest's admonition to tag/label/draw pictures as required -- to disassemble it into manageable-size pieces.

Just allow yourself plenty of time, don't try to hurry things, and you should be fine.

cuemaker
05-09-2006, 02:25 PM
SWMBO is very leary of the proposition. Not so much about the dirt etc, but about me falling on/dropping the lathe on my head.

While I generally accomplish things I set out to do, I do understand it to be a serious undertaking and this give me a lot of pause.

My doubts are about putting it back together (in working order).

I really wouldnt know where to start taking the beast apart.

Here is a link to a pic of the lathe

http://community.webshots.com/myphotos?action=showPhoto&albumID=248153791&photoID=1248954661060463020&security=jpYZBb

greywynd
05-09-2006, 02:29 PM
One of the guys that I work with has a basement shop, he has a neat setup. The stairs are on hinges, pivoting up out of the way. Overhead there is a chain hoist on a trolley. All he does is get the stuff to the top of the stairs, hook onto the item with the chain hoist, pick it up and over the hole, then lower it down. I think he has a couple hit and miss engines that he takes in/out this way on a fairly regular basis.

Sounds extremem, but on the other hand, any of that stuff that goes down sooner or later will likely be coming back up.......also saves on a lot of friendships :)

Mark

cuemaker
05-09-2006, 02:43 PM
Greywynd,

Thats a decent idea. It would take some construction, wife would hate me till I had everything back together, but it would allow to move things more efficiently with maybe less deconstruction on the lathe.

Hmm, on second thought, it makes it easier for her to put her foot down now that I am "destroying" her new house.

japcas
05-09-2006, 02:56 PM
How about moving the living room downstairs and leaving the lathe upstairs.:D I bet you would use the lathe more if it was upstairs too. Seriously though, are there any professional machinery movers in your area. It would be worth a couple hundred just to keep from having to take it apart and really 1500 pounds would be peanuts compared to some of the stuff a professional mover would move.

claw
05-09-2006, 02:57 PM
cue, moved my grizzly in the basement so I have a little experience. Although it was only about 500 lbs (11x26). Anyway- I think I live close to you (marysville) If you need some extra hands.

cuemaker
05-09-2006, 03:06 PM
Claw,

Not only would I love extra hands, but it would be nice to just to meet you.

I used to be in MV, but move 20 mins outside.

I am not a machinest, I just play one on the computer. So any help would be great.

Where are you located?

RdHawg
05-09-2006, 03:36 PM
While a bit of a different job, my father once got a large hot tub into his basement by removing the complete stair case and lowering the tub in.
I think I would start by figuring out how to reinforce the ceiling so I could hang massive amounts of weight from it - as it was said - what goes down must come up. so you might as well make it easier on yourself later by doing it right the first time.

John Stevenson
05-09-2006, 04:35 PM
Move it into the bedroom and then you can turn in your sleep.

OK I'll get my coat............................

nheng
05-09-2006, 05:46 PM
Cue, No matter how you decide to do it ... don't EVER get between it and a solid object ... from ANY direction. Consider dangerous landing zones also ... hot water heaters, furnaces, natural gas or propane lines, etc. etc.

That said, it's been done a million times with a million satisfied customers :D

charlie coghill
05-09-2006, 09:02 PM
Cue, how ever you do it be very carfull. The pic is of a friends lathe that He was just rolling into place. one of the rollers slipped and as he was adjusting the roller the lathe tipped over on him pinning him to the floor. It borke a couple of vertibra and buggered up his arm.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/kcprecision/2005_1024DonWittslathe0002.jpg

EDMTech
05-09-2006, 10:41 PM
Cue, how ever you do it be very carfull. The pic is of a friends lathe that He was just rolling into place. one of the rollers slipped and as he was adjusting the roller the lathe tipped over on him pinning him to the floor. It borke a couple of vertibra and buggered up his arm.

Ouch that really sounds like it hurt! How is he now, any serious perminant injury? Amazing what can happen in less than a second to change your life...

cuemaker
05-10-2006, 09:37 AM
Well, if I move it, it will need to be disassembled a fair bit.

The most awkward and heavy parts to be moved will be the lathe bed and the head stock or whatever it called where all the gears are located. They appear to be hefty.

A.K. Boomer
05-10-2006, 10:47 AM
Cue, I just got done moving my JVM 8-36 mill into the basement wich is the same weight as your machine (1550lbs) but had one hell of an advantage due to having outside cement steps, I tore the machine all the way down and still had to use a hand winch to get the base down which im guessing weighed close to 750to 800 lbs, I hooked on directly to the machine base but used a beefy funiture dolly under it for it to roll down, I have inside steps into the house as well and dont think there is any safe way i would have attempted this due to many reasons,,,,,,,,,,, Something for you to concider and be aware of --- if you use a wheeled dolly on steps you can far exceed the weight of your machine or machine base by double the amount of what it weighs in the form of vector forces that are aplied from the angle of your cable and winch mount to when the dolly wheels drop down on the vertical part of the steps, this is where allot of people misjudge what kind of force gets aplied to all holding and attatchment mechanisms, you can get over this effect by laying extremly thick good grade plywood all the way down but this method also has its risks, I would not even trust my starecase (my wooden one) with that kind of weight unless i reinforced the crap out of it, and i would never under any circumstances have anybody below the machine, It took just me and my niehbor to get my base down and no ---- not one beer was drank, but holy god did we get blitzed afterward................:p

garyphansen
05-10-2006, 10:54 AM
Install a Bilco door to your bastment. To see what I am talking about, just type Bilco into Geoogle. Gary P. Hansen

panchula
05-10-2006, 04:08 PM
I have an older round head Colchcester Dominion. The newer Mark II machines may be different, but pay very careful attention to the wiring connected to the headstock. On mine it was wired point to point without any provisions for disconnecting. Wires for the start/stop, reverse and drawer interlock all were on the back of the headstock. Make sure they're well labeled if you have to cut them.

One other thing that bit me was a previous owner had replaced the aluminum shear pin on the output shaft with a hardened dowel. It removed 9 teeth from a 35 tooth gear and 4 off the mating 120 tooth.

-Mike