PDA

View Full Version : Spi

Gregg
05-09-2006, 10:29 AM
Anyone have experience with Spi measuring tools from Enco?
I have never heard of them until recently, I think Enco just started advertising their products this year.

Thanks.

bob308
05-09-2006, 11:34 AM
i have used some of their tools and they are good quilty

Scishopguy
05-09-2006, 05:32 PM
Gregg,

SPI has been in business for at least 35 years that I can personally vouch for. They make good quality measuring tools and the best knurling tools you will ever see. The knurling tools are the type that cut the knurl instead of deforming the material. Much less side pressure on the spindle and it's done in one pass. They are obnoxiously expensive, however.

Jim (KB4IVH)

IOWOLF
05-09-2006, 06:11 PM
Spi is good stuff,I have a few things from them, they work thats good enough for me.

Your results may vary. ;)

JCHannum
05-09-2006, 06:28 PM
SPI is Swiss Precision Instruments. They have been around since the 50's and manufacture and distribute precision tools & tooling.

The knurling tools are by Quick, they are manufactured in Austria and are great. I picked up one a few months ago with a handful of knurls for $20.00. List is around $2200.00.

nheng
05-09-2006, 06:42 PM
Not a measuring tool but an SPI trepanning tool. Works well, excellent quality and nicely finished.
Den

Leigh
05-09-2006, 07:51 PM
Not a measuring tool but an SPI trepanning tool.
True statement, but they don't make it. It's made by Valcut. I have one and like it a lot.

SPI is headquartered in Singapore, with plants in Thailand and elsewhere. I don't think they have any plants in china (prc). They make some of the products in their catalog, but the majority are from other manufacturers. I've purchased a number of items over the years, and have always been quite pleased with the quality.

Nick Carter
05-09-2006, 08:12 PM
Not a measuring tool but an SPI trepanning tool. Works well, excellent quality and nicely finished.
Den

Do you know of any pictures or drawings for grinding one of the toolbits - I have one that I bought used (like everything I own...) and I'd like to use it but am typically too cheap to buy some toolbits for it. I know they have some fairly complex geometry.

Leigh
05-10-2006, 12:54 AM
Do you know of any pictures or drawings for grinding one of the toolbits
There are drawings on the Valcut website. I wouldn't want to try it myself :(

andypullen
05-10-2006, 08:46 AM
I have one of the trepanning tools, too. I bought it for a job at work as I didn't want to drill 200 1 3/8" dia holes in some 4" pvc pipe for a cooling tower. It worked great on the job. I have a set of SPI parallels at work as well. They are decent, too.

Nice stuff....

Andy Pullen