PDA

View Full Version : Digital Machinist Special Edition Topics

Techtchr
05-10-2006, 04:41 PM
My personal opinion is that the Digital Machinist S/E was one of the best HSM editions I've read in a while. I'm well aware that some people will not like what I'm about to suggest, but that's OK. A few possible columns for future special editions. "CAM Critique"... a knowledgable comparison of CAM software. "Circuit Board Milling"...using your CNC to create printed circuit boards(using tools to make more electronic tools) "File Format" converting BTMP, DXF,TIFF...and vectorizing to CNC. "CNC Kinematics" ... building no/low backlash mechanisms using low cost parts. "Feedback Funadmentals"...getting your CNC to know where it is using encoders. "Accessory Madiness"... Wiring speed controllers,relays, and other accessories to your basic CNC machine. I could go on but that's enough for now.

Matt

John Stevenson
05-10-2006, 05:02 PM
Matt,
Not having seen a copy [ UK based ] I gather it's a pilot issue on whether or not to bring out a new title ?
If so I would be really interested both to buy and probably to contribute to.
Can you explain for on it's contents.

There is a CNC conference at Galesburgh next week at Roland Friedstats place.
Art Fenarty of Mach 2/3/4 fame is going as is John Prentice who writes the docs for Mach.
John is a neighbour of mine and I've asked him to look out for a copy for me.

IOWOLF
05-10-2006, 05:33 PM
Matt,Didn't you pretty much say that in the other thread, Lets not be redundant. ;)

J Tiers
05-10-2006, 05:50 PM
Should we have seen that edition? is it recent, or did it come out a while back?

IOWOLF
05-10-2006, 06:12 PM
I got mine saturday,Its new.
I think you only get it with a subscription.

pcarpenter
05-10-2006, 06:42 PM
The arrival of the magazines is ummm...different for different folks. I just got my special edition yesterday, but had the regular one with the surface grinder on the front for a week. I know others had things the other way around, making them wonder if the CNC edition was to replace the regular magazine.

Keep your eye on the mailbox.
Paul

Weston Bye
05-10-2006, 07:02 PM
I got mine last week, after the regular issue. This is a 7th issue, over above the normal six that your subscription pays for.

Alguy
05-10-2006, 08:02 PM
I got mine a couple days ago and enjoyed it, i know nothing about the motion control stuff but want know more. My electronic abilities are zilch once i get past ohms law i am lost.

jdunmyer
05-10-2006, 08:16 PM
I wonder how the mailing works: I received my issue just today, and I'm in SE Michigan, same State as VP. Hmmmm...

jimmstruk
05-10-2006, 09:18 PM
I have not received one yet and I subscribe to 2 VP magazines. JIM

Techtchr
05-11-2006, 12:07 AM
IOWLF,
Redundancy is good in certain systems. Keeps things working in case of failure.

The S/E came to my house two days ago. I typically read HSM and Projects to glean machining tips from them, as I don't have an interest in making or modifying Guns or small engines/motors. The last project I actually built fromHSM plans was the injection molding machine back in the late 80's or early 90's.

As a testimonial to the CNC work shop Roland is running, I can tell you first hand that it was great fun last year. I drove the 1000 miles from my home in Auburn NY to Galesburg, and stayed the whole week at the Holiday Inn express. The real diehards camped out in Roland's backyard to his shop. I think my backside or other unflattering parts of me were in the pictures posted in one of the HSM issues. Unfortunately, Roland bumped the time up by a month to avoid the hot and humid weather, so I can't attend this year. The local hotel accomodations were economical, the locals were very nice and Roland and his staff did a greatjob. Well worth the price of admission.
Matt

RPease
05-11-2006, 02:43 PM
I make a motion that "no-one" can discuss any articles in HSM or MW (on this site) until "everyone" has received their copy of the magazine...........

It's just "not fair" to those of us that seem to be at the bottom of the mailing list or are otherwise hampered in getting our issues............LOL

I know.....I know.......just order another beer and "cry into that one"...........the 1st one is getting too full.........LOL

Man.......I'll be glad when I can figure out what everyone is talking about...........

Neil............Do I have to make my subscriptions for a full 3 years to start getting them at a decent time.........If so, I'll do it...........LOL ;) ;)

IOWOLF
05-11-2006, 03:52 PM
No beer 'till after sweep up ,OK

(See other thread.)

PTSideshow
05-11-2006, 05:35 PM
Just got mine today Weston's article on the steppers caught my eye because I have been stockpiling them from the sources he names for the coming shortages LOL :D
Sir John here is the index page don't know if that will be any help
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d200/ptsideshow/File0001.jpg
Hope this helps any thing else let me know.

John Stevenson
05-11-2006, 05:40 PM
Thanks Glen,
I have a copy coming but it's uphill to the UK from there.
Just have to wait a bit.......................bother................

sch
05-11-2006, 05:51 PM
I don't think the dog magazine subscribers will get Digital Machinist. :)
Steve

John Stevenson
05-11-2006, 05:55 PM
How to wok your dog using Chinese stepper motors......

OK I'll get my coat..........................

jimmstruk
05-11-2006, 08:48 PM
Just received my copy today (5-11-o6) Havent got to read it yet,but the ads,some of them are different. JIM

ulav8r
05-12-2006, 01:33 AM
Got mine Tuesday. Was OK, some of the ads were good. Weston's article gave a little info on the motors, but what was the point of making a cam to operate two switches to single step the motors? Maybe a way to manually dial a move? As a learning project about stepper motor operation I can not see any advantage over hooking up a single switch to step the motor. Nick Carter's article was good, the EMC article was interesting also.