PDA

View Full Version : Metal Supermarkets

level head
05-10-2006, 08:30 PM
today i went to metal supermarkets got 6 feet of 1040 steel $9 per foot and 2 other chunks of 1/2 inch wall tubing $50 ..he gave me a deal of $90 with g.s.t free cutting with that too very nice people

mochinist
05-10-2006, 10:15 PM
I have one down the street from my shop and i use them almost daily during the week, they have great prices, no minimum and they cut the metal for free.

sch
05-11-2006, 12:12 AM
The one here is a bit more mercenary. Initial visits were ok with reasonable prices, but if the quantity exceeds $25 minimum, then ONeal Too is much cheaper, provided you can handle stock lengths and weights. Their cutting charge is a good bit higher than Metal Supermarkets. I haven't been back to MS though since being charged $4 for a 5"x6" piece of 5/16" plate last summer. Still stunned by that development. (It was in a box of cutoffs.)
One price I remember from several yrs ago: TGP bar 1.5" nominal was $80 for 21' length from ONeal Too, 8' length of same from MS was $65. I couldn't handle the weight so got it from MS as all I needed was the 8'.
Steve

quasi
05-11-2006, 12:16 AM
[QUOTE=mochinist]I have one down the street from my shop and i use them almost daily during the week, they have great prices, no minimum and they cut the metal for free.[/QUOT

I hate them they are expensive, and won't bring in anything for me unless I buy the whole stick. They have done this to me for o-1 tool steel even. I needed 2" square 7075 t6, 14". They wanted me to buy 10 or 12 feet of it!

They advertize they will sell any type of steel in any amount, but thats a lie, at least at their CALGARY store.

lenord
05-11-2006, 12:56 AM
I think each store is independantly owned and operated. Might be why there is a variety of prices and service.

My local MS is wonderful ! They will do nearly anything to help a customer in the Fort Worth, Texas store. :)

Lenord

torker
05-11-2006, 01:08 AM
quasi, Thrud had some wonderful things to say about the store in Edmonton also. I forget what he had to pay for a 2"X4"X4ft long piece of 6061 alu but it was outrageous. He wasn't very happy. I think it curdled his chocolate milk :(

gglines
05-11-2006, 11:16 AM
They are a franchise so each store is individually owned. The one here in Tempe, AZ is terrific.

AllanD
05-11-2006, 12:28 PM
They advertize they will sell any type of steel in any amount, but thats a lie, at least at their CALGARY store.

The Calgary MS store is brutal, especially for small hobbyist quantities. They charge like $8/lb for little aluminum scraps that should be in the dumpster.

I've been shopping at Assorted Metals lately. A new company that caters to small guys/hobbyists and even have a free mystery metal bin which most of the time is perfect for small projects.

Friendly helpful service without the MS attitude.

Allan

quasi
05-11-2006, 12:32 PM
Alan can you provide a web site or phone number for assorted metals? Are they in Calgary? thankyou

Evan
05-11-2006, 12:50 PM
Assorted Metals
7008 5 Street SE Bay A,
Calgary, AB T2H 2G3
Tel. : 403-258-1121

quasi
05-11-2006, 12:55 PM
thankyou Evan.

Evan
05-11-2006, 01:39 PM
Hmm. I see another trip to Calgary in my future. I will probably be going next month to visit my son and family. I think it will be time to do some shopping... :D

http://vts.bc.ca/pics/map2ms.jpg

Scishopguy
05-11-2006, 02:04 PM
There was a Metal Supermarket here in Tallahassee Florida that I used quite a bit. They were especially handy when you only needed a few inches of material and didn't want to buy a whole bar. Just like the folks at Small Parts, they focused their business on small shops with small needs. They saved me time and money in that I only needed a foot or less for most projects. If you wanted longer lengths of aluminum, there was a place in town that would sell you what ever you wanted by the 24' length, at wholesale price.

I just found out yesterday that the store here dropped the Metal Supermarket franchise due to lack of business. They were smart, however. They morphed into a fabrication shop and will still sell you whatever you want. I have even been able to get stuff from their scrap pile for free.

Jim (KB4IVH)

Mcostello
05-11-2006, 09:46 PM
FREE- thats my second favorite word besides-HoneycomeherequicklyIwantyoubadlyrightnow! Hear the first one more than the second.

mochinist
05-11-2006, 11:12 PM
They are a franchise so each store is individually owned. The one here in Tempe, AZ is terrific.That is the one I use, my shop is about a 1/4 of a mile away. Doug and Joe are good guys and always come through wwith good prices.

Wayne02
05-11-2006, 11:27 PM
They are a franchise so each store is individually owned.

Franchise? Hmm, wonder what a metal supermarkets franchise cost....?

I can get a "Curves" womens fitness gym franchise for 50K these days.

Hmm, big sweaty women in spandex, or a warehouse full of metal and an old grumpy guy running the cut-off saw.... :)

BillH
05-11-2006, 11:37 PM
The Metal supermarkets in Waterbury, CT have never given me issues on length or quantity. Been awhile, remember they had a big ol chunk of channel Iron I should of bought to bolt my SB 9" to for 40$. Yep, no issues with that store, some kids running it from the front desk. There is a different place in Syracuse NY I've used... Cant remember their name, 65$ for 18 3"x .5 steel disks cut for me. Yes that was hell facing those down on my mini lathe for my steam locomotive. Drove me to buy the SB.

john hobdeclipe
05-12-2006, 07:55 AM

Hmm, big sweaty women in spandex, or a warehouse full of metal and an old grumpy guy running the cut-off saw.... :)

You should be able to combine the two and work it to your advantage.

glenj
05-12-2006, 08:52 AM
I priced out some 2x2 x 1/8" angle and some 2x2 by .10" wall square tubing. MS wanted $4.10/foot (Canadian) for the angle. I found another local steel place that would sell me full 10' lengths for $8.00. This was on an order with 14 10' lengths too. The other place delivered for free.

The local MS is great for picking up odd bits and piece but that price difference is an eye opener to say the least. 500%...!!!

Wirecutter
05-12-2006, 11:48 AM

:D :D

Try as I might, I just can't add anything to that. Thanks, Wayne. :D

Wayne02
05-12-2006, 06:06 PM

Couldn't stand it, had to look it up. Metal supermarket franchise from their web-page:

"These costs should not be construed as the actual cost you will undertake, as some items can vary depending upon local market conditions.

Franchise Fee: $ 39,500.00

Equipment: $ 50,000.00

Initial Inventory: $ 70,000.00

Initial marketing: $ 15,500.00

Operating Capital: $110,000.00

Total: $285,000.00

Metal Supermarkets does not provide financing for prospective franchisees.

In order to undertake a Metal Supermarkets franchise, and to qualify, you will need to invest approximately $125,000.00 of your own capital.

Royalty fee: 6%
# of employees needed: 3
Absentee ownership NOT allowed."

Hmm, big sweaty women in spandex are not looking too bad...

Wayne

Evan
05-12-2006, 06:20 PM
Seeing as that page is copyright last year you can probably double the outlay for inventory.

Your Old Dog
05-12-2006, 06:36 PM
The one in Buffalo isn't bad for small quantities. The problem develops if you want to buy 50 or 100 feet of something and your stuck with the per foot price with no break or volume point. Don't mind paying thru the nose for 4 or 5 feet of something but when you ask for 100 feet or more of it I expect to see some price break.