PDA

View Full Version : A monkey in a diaper

mike thomas
02-10-2003, 12:59 AM
I got the 10EE home last night. I think it is going to be okay. There will have to be a lot of clean up, and a couple of parts made before I can run it, but it looks to be in reasonably good shape. The motor generator setup looks all original.
It came with a Rohm 3 jaw that looks great, a good looking Cushman 4 jaw, and down inside I found a Jacobs keyless chuck and tailstock taper. It has threading, and taper attachment. She gave me a collet nose and cover, but the nose if for M collets. I do not know if they can be found or not. The part that holds the taper stop rod to the bed is missing, but the lady let me measure another, and it will be relatively easy to make one.
This is the entire cast iron version of the 10EE, and boy is it heavy. Well, it no longer is entirely cast iron, as one cover had a corner missing and she swapped it for an Al cover.
The seller was great, she had several EEs and would get a better part off of another if I noticed something wrong/worn. There are two broken knobs, but I needed to get home and did not want to wait while she tore them from another maching. I think I can either get her to mail me them, make new or ebay.
I will have to build a bigger rotary converter, but what the heck.
Oh, I will also have to clean monkey hair out/off of it as one in a diaper was using it for a jungle gym when I got there. Thank god for Pampers. Mike

Dr. Rob
02-10-2003, 08:29 AM
Cool. Glad to hear that the stork arrived safely. Those Morse taper collets aren't a problem- one of the mail-order advertisers in HSM carries them. Cheap too. Making your own from MT blanks shouldn't be so hard either.

I've just been offered a big lathe for free; went and checked it out yesterday. Looked like 1920's, Swedish, with complete set of tools & holders, chucks, gears...all of it.

It was a HSM's who met an early end, now the wife wants it out of the garage. Maybe I'll take it, we'll see.

gizmo2
02-10-2003, 09:41 AM
Mike, where's the rest of this story? I want to know more about the monkey. Was he running this machine? Did he come with the machine? Monkeys in Moscow? I think I need to know more.

[This message has been edited by gizmo2 (edited 02-10-2003).]

crypto
02-10-2003, 01:12 PM
Hey Mike,

I second Gizmos request for more info. You can't just leave us hanging wondering what other strange facts surround your EE purchase.

Sounds like the seller had multiple EEs for sale. Was she training monkeys to operate them?

It's possible. Some machinists I've met couldn't do as well as a trained monkey.

crypto
02-10-2003, 01:55 PM
Mike,

I have never seen a EE that used Morse headstock collets. However the EEs do use a reducing sleeve which permits the use of a no.2 Morse dead center in the spindle for dog plate turning.

The most useful collet attachments are the Sjogren Handwheel type or the Jacobs rubber-flex type which mount directly on the camlock spindle. Monarch did supply a drawbar type of collet attachment (allowed up to 1" collet) but it was not as convenient as the spindle mounted type.

Perhaps you can deal directly with one of the monkeys and make a deal, a bundle of bananas for a collet chuck?

mike thomas
02-10-2003, 09:28 PM
Gents, The woman had just sold another EE. It was without threading. The others are one she is fixing up, and parts machines. She even went so far as to pull a part or two off of her own machine to make mine better.
The monkey was a Washington monkey. I had to go over by Seattle to pick the thing up. Unlike most Washington monkeys, he was apolitical. Must be because he was from the state, not DC.
That collet nose is way too big for a #2 Morse taper. The woman said she found four of them in a box of parts she bought at a government auction. I remember a list in HSM that covered collets a few months back. I think I will look and see if an M is listed. Maybe I will have a go at it with a couple of Morse tapers and see if one fits. The joys of being a junk, I mean treasure collector. Mike

wierdscience
02-10-2003, 09:56 PM
Correct me if I am wrong but I seem to remember that the only thing three phase on a 10EE was the coolant pump,seems like I remember the motor actualy being d/c with a 220vac single phase input to the control which was a tube type regenerative drive.If this is the case max volts on the motor would be 180vdc no need for three phase.

JCHannum
02-10-2003, 10:04 PM
Monarch EE also had a motor generator drive variation.
The M collet may also be a Monarch. LeBlond had an L collet, and C as in 5C refers to Cataract as in Hardinge.
Not too hard to make another collet nose and drawbar for 5C collets. But you have plenty to keep you occupied until you get around to that.
Enjoy yourself.

crypto
02-11-2003, 01:31 AM
Over a period of a few years I ran across 2 no, three different drives for EEs. Our department had an old simple drive that was replaced by a newer one that used electronic tube controls.

The new one was a pain in the neck to operate for the speed control was always giving us problems. As I recall changing speeds caused surges in the speeds in the slow speed ranges. It became so troublesome that no one wanted to use it. This problem lasted until a maintenance electrician who knew how to balance the two rectifier (?) tubes (they were huge tall, tubes) worked on it. I remember he used a couple of electrical instruments to get the thing to work properly.

If you are interested in the factory specs I can send you a copy of the page from my illustrated factory brochure on the EE lathe. Its one of my shop pinups.

mike thomas
02-11-2003, 09:03 PM
Guys, This is the motor generator version. I thought that I might have better luck with this than a tube type. I have a fairly good DC background. I will just have to build a bigger rotary converter. I can use most of what I have put together for the B'port. I'll swap out the motor for a larger one and a few caps.
One of my priorities is to find a manual. But being cheap, it has to be cheap also. I was told they are sold on CD on Tony's uk lathe site. I'll check there later.
I have to wait until Thursday to get the tire shop to unload it. They have a fairly stout forklift and only charge $20, so I work at their convienence.
I am looking forward to this. Thanks for the offers and encouragement. Mike