PDA

View Full Version : Did I waste my money?

lugnut
05-10-2006, 11:19 PM
I bid on, and bought a Rotary table on Ebay today. It's not like any other I have seen, but then I'm very new to these kind of things. Would you take a look and tell me if ????????
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7616201377&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT
I'm hoping that the hex nut turns the table. It was cheap and so am I, so maybe it and I will get along. Any thoughts or advice?

Mel

charlie coghill
05-10-2006, 11:43 PM
Lugnut I don't THINK that nut is for turning the table. Maybe for locking the table to keep if from turning. I could be wrong and hope I am.

CCWKen
05-10-2006, 11:50 PM
It's not really a Rotary Table--It's a degree turn table. The hex nut is probably part of the locking mechanism. It looks shop made. I almost bid on it too but looked closer at the pictures. The T-slots are mighty small too.

Waste? Maybe not. You can use it to index your vise or something. I wouldn't count on it being too accurate though.

PTSideshow
05-10-2006, 11:52 PM
Looks like a self made one, nut is probably a lock down device. I think you turn the table by hand power. if you don't require a high degree of accuracy you will get along. I have a 4" sherline cnc rotatry table.

neonman
05-10-2006, 11:55 PM
I've found that normally you get what you pay for or less.

CCW, where are you, I'm in leander.

neonman

CCWKen
05-11-2006, 12:00 AM
Lytle, TX. About 25 miles SW of San Antonio. 3.5 miles off IH-35.

"The Sticks" as they call it in the big city. :D

neonman
05-11-2006, 12:08 AM
CCW, you really are DEEP in the heart. If you ever get up to north Austin,
give me s shout, we could tip a cold ome or two.

neonman

Steve Stube
05-11-2006, 02:04 AM
5 degrees per division isn't very fine and I agree with the others that the Hex nut is probably a locking device but still for the money I think it is a steal. The low profile and size makes it a likely canidate for lots of jobs. You did good in my opinion.

lugnut
05-11-2006, 02:40 AM
Thanks for the input guys. Now I have to make something from what ever it is! Will let you know when I receive it. I’ll bet that there is a way to make it do what I need. I don’t know what real close tolerances are, so that shouldn’t be a problem. If I can machine an arc or space some holes in a circle, I’ll be happy.
Thanks again for the input
Mel

Millman
05-11-2006, 08:39 AM
I agree with Steve, hell of a deal and will be useful. Some people think if it's not made in a factory; Chinese or otherwise, it's worthless, not true. It could have been made by a very particular and precise machinist who takes pride in his craftsmanship. I would have bought it for that price.

IOWOLF
05-11-2006, 11:48 AM
If it does not "crank" I wouldn't cut arcs,It could go for a ride.

At least I wouldn't.

I hope the hex has a rack behind it that would be cool for you,I cant Imagine how long it took to make, but the marks took some time.

pcarpenter
05-11-2006, 01:19 PM
I keep seeing one of those "reprints" of an article available on ebay that is about making an indexer (not rotary table) from a mill vise swivel base. I now have a vise base that does not fit my vise that I intend to do the same for. I think that may be the sort of thing you got.

The up side to the vise base is that it has marks every degree as I recall which is a little better. Still, with no accurate way to index the plate or chuck on top (ie indexing plates) it will only be as accurate as the eyeball factor used to line up marks....which is probably good enough in most cases.

Sure wish RT's were cheaper than they are, but one can argue that even the import models are a bargain given the moving parts and machining involved.

Paul

J Tiers
05-11-2006, 02:17 PM
The nut is almost certainly a lock.

But, that does not make the table useless. it still will do anything a full table will do other than cranking it around or setting by cranking the handle.

You can interpolate the degrees, and may not be much farther off than by setting the "eyeball" way.

A really good idea might be to make a new index marker.

On the new one, you cut a vernier scale to set degrees. That would get you degree divisions without having to cut them all around the table. You'd only have to cut 6 marks.

topct
05-11-2006, 07:06 PM
I am curious as to how tight the table is to the base when it is loose enough to turn.

With a bar on it to turn it, you could mill circles or arcs. But if it lifted when you tried to make a round slot, that would not be good.

We of course, need to see it's guts. :)

PaulT
05-11-2006, 07:16 PM
That item was listed as a "Rotary Table", and if there is no crank that controls the rotation I would say it was misrepresented. If you really wanted a rotary table and it really isn't one I'd contact the seller and tell them that the item was misrepresented and you cannot complete the transaction, and that when he relists it he should more correctly describe it.

Unless you really want the thing as is.

Good luck-

Paul T.

IOWOLF
05-11-2006, 07:19 PM
Perhaps at a cheaper price!

A.K. Boomer
05-11-2006, 07:36 PM
You sure didnt get hosed, the price was right and the shipping dirt cheap, The nut being centrally located means its not a worm gear and iv never heard of a bevel in a rotary table so i agree with everyone that its got to be a lockdown, to me this limits the tables use but you can always toy with it and if you feel you outgrow it enco has 8" horizontals for 209.00 and that includes shipping,,,, the horiz. verts are only another 25 or 30 bucks but because of their extra weight shipping is no longer free and this puts the price into the low 3's, I just got the 8" horz. not to long ago, great unit but typical chineese stuff, 90% there and then they drop the ball with the follow through, be prepared to entirely disasemble and clean and readjust everything.

A.K. Boomer
05-11-2006, 07:40 PM
Forgot to ad --- phase II brands (at enco)

A.K. Boomer
05-11-2006, 07:59 PM
I know this is off topic but did anybody see that little 8" hoffmann rotary table that was on e-bay about three months ago, west germany, six slots for an 8", beautiful, massive dial,,, i drooled over that thing and bid on it and was the next highest bidder and it really broke my heart for while, if you seen her you would understand, she was the one that got away boy.

lugnut
05-11-2006, 11:42 PM
I am curious as to how tight the table is to the base when it is loose enough to turn.

With a bar on it to turn it, you could mill circles or arcs. But if it lifted when you tried to make a round slot, that would not be good.

We of course, need to see it's guts. :)
I'm not sure of this,but will try (the Quote thing)
Guys, I have to really thank all of you for your replies. As soon as I receive it, I will post some photos of the “guts” and then start to make it something I can use.
Thanks again
Mel

J Tiers
05-12-2006, 01:02 AM
I might mention, I have one very like that. Mine was in a "lot" of stuff I bought at a sale, so I figure it was "free". The other stuff I bought was worth far mor than I paid.

It must be a Gingery item, as it appears to be cast aluminum. The bearing is bronze.

No lock, but I have kept it around, since it has all the degree marks and I figure I will have a use for it someday.

Orrin
05-12-2006, 12:51 PM
You did just fine on that buy.

I have a new factory-built rotary table that I rarely use. On the other hand, I have my my simple home-built "spin" table that I use all the time.

I put calibrated my home-built table with one-degree markings, but rarely use them. Five degrees is plenty good for radiusing the ends of rods, etc.

I equipped mine with tommy bars. I'd suggest you do the same with yours. Just drill six or eight evenly spaced holes around the outside edge and make a couple of 6-inch long bars to fit.

I'm also building up a considerable supply of center plugs for mine that have different diameter pins sticking out the top. When I want to radius the end of a rod, I select a pin size to suit the hole in the rod, drop it in place, plop the hole in the rod-end over the pin, and in no time I'm done with the job.

You'll eventually find all sorts of uses for your new toy. I'd be lost without mine.

Best regards,

Orrin

lugnut
05-13-2006, 01:33 AM
Orrin, I like your idea with the tommy bars, will look at that when I get the "thing"
Thanks
Mel

sch
05-13-2006, 09:27 AM
-I suspect you could read up on vernier theory and manufacture a vernier that would let you interpolate down to a degree.
Steve