PDA

View Full Version : OT computer hassle

J Tiers
05-11-2006, 09:35 AM
Got another Memorex "travel drive" USB memory stick. This one is a "U3" type that apparently will allow running software...I don't care.

Installed the driver software for it, which UNINSTALLED the old software for the prevoius one......

New software does not run the old one. In fact, it does not run the NEW one either..... locks up, the light on the stick pulses slowly forever, but no directory, mouse is locked, etc. Unplug it, all is well.

Plug in the old one, old software gets installed again by windows. New one still doesn't work, old one does.

Unplug old one..... message says to click the "stop" button on the task bar..... there isn't one.

OK, uninstall the new software......

Old stick is still working, but the legacy of the useless POS new stick is that it always makes me click the "please stop the drive before unplugging to prevent corrupting data" or something like that. And there STILL is no such button anywhere.....

Computer uses Win 98SE, I used the correct driver from Memorex, what else could be wrong?

And how do I get rid of the stupid message?

Evan
05-11-2006, 10:48 AM
Make sure write behind caching is turned off for removable devices.

Right click My computer> properties> performance> file system> removable disk

Ensure write behind caching is unchecked.

This still may not eliminate the message but it should be set this way anyway.

[edit]

If your motherboard BIOS doesn't support booting from USB devices then the new stick may not work.

You can try:

My computer> properties> device manager> Universal Serial Bus Controllers> Host Controller

Then disable USB error detection.

J Tiers
05-11-2006, 01:08 PM
I'll try that this evening.

The thing of it is, I never had the message until the new stick software went in.

Is tehre a difference that makes the U3 type incompatible? Because they SAY it won't allow running programs other than thru XP or 2000, but won't bother anything else. And I installed their driver for 98SE, intended for that specific stick.

The stick, however, comes with some stuff on it, including a mcAfee for memory sticks.

I wonder if it defaults to trying to RUN that, and so locks up everything because 98 won't run anything from the stick?

Is there a way to find out? Because if that is the case, its going back to Best Buy with a stinger about crappy products.....

I don't think they even make ones like the existing 1 GB stick I have, that was months ago, probably 2 or 3 generations of product designs ago..... :rolleyes"

Evan
05-11-2006, 01:23 PM
Doesn't look like it will work.

Because U3 is only compatible with Windows 2000 and XP, any Mac, Linux, or Windows 98/ME users will not be able to authenticate themselves to see the partition.

http://www.everythingusb.com/u3.html

IOWOLF
05-11-2006, 02:46 PM
Hell, I have one the kills my laptop every time I plug it in.
But it used to work fine,any sugestions?

J Tiers
05-11-2006, 04:56 PM
Doesn't look like it will work.

http://www.everythingusb.com/u3.html

Well the schmucks SAY it will work..... 98SE is on the list under requirements.........and they offer the driver software to make it work with 98SE....... and make a point of mentioning that the run program deal will only work on XP/2000 but that the memory will function otherwise.....

If it does not work, it seems that it is because they screwed up and put out bogus software...........

And, if you read the rest of that snippet, the inability to see is *supposed to be" only if security is enabled. You STILL should be able to see the "fake CDrom" part of the drive.

I think Memorex screwed up bigtime.

J Tiers
05-12-2006, 01:11 AM
Yeesh.....

The install uninstalled the old stick's driver...... but when I put it back in, it was re-installed.

I uninstalled the new stick's driver, then re-installed it.

Now, It for-sure is installed, but it absolutely has noplace to go to uninstall it. The entry in teh program list is gone, and the uninstall window also does not show it!

I'd like to get rid of it so it isn't hanging around to cause trouble, but the )(*^*&% thing is still there. (the install program does not seem to have an uninstall either...)

Memorex is no longer my friend............