PDA

View Full Version : OT: Garage Door Openers Electric?

Arbo
05-11-2006, 09:58 AM
I am pretty much electronically stupid. I would like to add another set of push button switches for my two garage door openers. It would be handy to be able to walk in the back door and have the button right there to open or close the doors. Can I add the second set of switches, but still let the existing switches in place next to the doors? Thanks.

IOWOLF
05-11-2006, 11:26 AM
There are 2 screws on the side of the motor box, Run speaker wire to doorbell buttons where ever you want.

fencepost
05-11-2006, 01:00 PM
With the doorbell buttons make sure you _do not_ get the illuminated ones - ask me how I know.

winchman
05-11-2006, 04:07 PM
"With the doorbell buttons make sure you _do not_ get the illuminated ones..."

My Lift-Master GDO is controlled by a lighted doorbell switch. So, maybe some work OK, and others don't.

Roger

Scatterplot
05-11-2006, 08:43 PM
With the doorbell buttons make sure you _do not_ get the illuminated ones - ask me how I know.

Ok I'll bite...

what happened?

fencepost
05-11-2006, 08:47 PM
The OEM switches I have are illuminated as well. I went to HD, got a couple of door bell buttons, neglected to check for illumination, put 'em in - nadda, nothing, zilch. If I shorted the wires together the door went up and down, hook up the switch nothing. I noticed the light in the OEM switches didn't work either. Fianlly I took one switch apart and found the little bulb, removed it - it worked perfectly. Obviously the bulb was acting as a resistor.

At least that was my experence with Lift Master and Genie.