PDA

View Full Version : Swivel Head for Seig X3 mini mill

John Stevenson
05-11-2006, 01:50 PM
Just a heads up [ pun intended ] on a new product for X 3 owners.

This is a bolt on kit to convert a standard X3 into a swivel head similar to a SX3.
The pre- production unit has been built and fitted to a test machine to prove the design.

What was wanted was a simple but elegant solution that required the minimum of alteration to a standard machine.
It needed to look unobtrusive but be rigid.
We looked at various offering in the UK but they were either lacking on rigidity or looked like Prince Charles, or both.

This is a 4 piece kit that fits in between the head and the dovetail casting and adds 9/16" or 14mm to the overall depth.
It requires three tapped holes to be made into the dovetail casting to secure the swivel.
The head then fits on it's existing 10mm cap screws to this.
If it wasn't for the motor wires it could do a full 360 degrees just by slacking the 4 head cap screws.

Assembly pics are at :-

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stevenson.engineers/lsteve/X3/

At the moment there is no scale on the swivel whilst we are looking at different methods to apply this,
as I say it's a pre-production unit but we are that pleased that it should stay as it is for production.

Comments, flames, brick or praise on the back of a $100 bill to the above address.

John S.

PS
We are currently working on other devices for the very popular X3, stay tuned.

jud
05-11-2006, 02:44 PM
Can you get something to mark the degrees of head tilt?
How much will it cost or the plans for it?

Jud

John Stevenson
05-11-2006, 05:32 PM
Just realised after re-reading my first post that this sounds to much like an advert.
Well it is but not for US readers :D:D

These would be too heavy to ship over.
The post was just a heads up to a project I was working on yesterday whilst waiting for a job to come in..

There will be a scale on the side and I may do plans for US owners or even approach LMS or Lathemaster to see if they are interested in running with it.

IOWOLF
05-11-2006, 06:24 PM
I hope you make a fortune with it,You evidently need the money.;)

John Stevenson
05-11-2006, 08:02 PM
Yes, that's the reason I do this for a living.

Mark McGrath
05-12-2006, 04:37 AM
What you need is a licencing agreement with someone in the States and sit back and wait on the royalties.