PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone bought anything from this ebay store?

Mike Burdick
02-10-2003, 01:10 PM
I was thinking of buying a dividing head from this ebay store. Has anyone had any dealing with them? Also, if someone did buy a dividing head like this one from them was it any good? Your opinions would be very much appreciated.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2507499023&category=11805

Thanks...Mike

gvasale
02-10-2003, 01:38 PM
Mike: There are plenty of machine shops closing, maybe in your area. I'd check the auctions in your locale first. That price is an average price. I'd buy new from a regular supplier like MSC or other first. A used head should be available for a fraction of that price.

wierdscience
02-10-2003, 10:30 PM
I got to go along with the previous shop around some first,also I have found that a dividing head can sit around for long periods without seeing much use .I had a large Cinncinatti that sat in the corner and collected dust until I sold it and bought a rotary table and dividing plates.I get a lot more use out of it.

charlie coghill
02-10-2003, 11:39 PM
If you find something on E-bay that you are interested in bidding on, check some tool cataloges first and remember to add shipping. Sometimes the bid price is close to a new price.
Charlie.

Thrud
02-10-2003, 11:52 PM
Mike
That looks like a Vertex BS-0 or -1 dividing head. That is new retail price - so shop around. You can also buy them in the 1 1/2"x8 (MT#3) and metric threads M30xP3 (BS-7 taper) or M40xP3 (BS-9 taper). It is common to get them in a nose thread the same as your lathe or grinding machine accessories to enhance its versatility.

medicmike
02-11-2003, 12:08 PM
I have dealt with lathemaster on a couple items and had no complaints.

Ragarsed Raglan
02-11-2003, 01:24 PM
Mike,

Think about the size of it as well. I see it's a 5" centre height and comes in at 72Lbs. A lot depends on what machine your going to use it on, of course, as well as the type of work your going to do on it. Remember when its swung through 90* the overall height is going to be close to 11" to the nose (thats before you've mounted a 4 jaw to it!). I have a 3" centre height (plain type) and a 4" centre height (universal). I rarely use the 4" ~ other than to make division plates for the 3"!!! For one thing the 3" is so much lighter and easier to man handle onto the machine. My advice is to just think about what you want it to do, then go and get one to suit your type of machining and your machines physical requirements.

RR

Dean Head
02-11-2003, 08:45 PM
Mike,
I bought one of these from him about a month ago. Shipped it to me right away. Arrived in perfect shape. His cost is less than my local WT on sale including shipping. I do echo the size of the unit also. In the vertical orientaion it is a bit tall on my M/D.
Dean

Mike Burdick
02-11-2003, 09:30 PM
I decided to get the smaller dividing head from Enco - it is $245.00. They will take it back if I don't like it.

Thank you all for taking the time to respond to my question....it sure was a real help!

Mike

[This message has been edited by Mike Burdick (edited 02-11-2003).]