PDA

View Full Version : how not to treat your Kurt vice

JPR
05-13-2006, 04:30 AM
while out looking for parts for the mill, I ran across this Kurt vise (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7617698073&indexURL=9#ebayphotohosting). Just plain scary how someone could hit the jaws that many times.

Millman
05-13-2006, 04:49 AM
That looks like the vise was used for round production jobs. I have bored out the jaws to a certain dia. to run production just got to keep them in marked pairs. Doesn't take long to make new jaws. If thats abuse, don't it just make you want to punch whoever??

torker
05-13-2006, 05:01 AM
"Hit the jaws"? Holy crap....they took a big run at those and kept on going.
I've used my vise for three years now and the jaws don't have a mark in them.
Funny what some outfits will do when trying to make top dollar sometimes though.

Alistair Hosie
05-13-2006, 05:54 AM
Hi that looks deliberate to me for holding special round items the jaws are easily replacable no real harm done to the vise.Alistair p.s I wouldn't be a happy bunny if someone did that to my vice by accident:D

Virgil Johnson
05-13-2006, 06:26 AM
I didn't see a smiley face on your post (the joke may be on me) Those jaws are what I refer to as "soft jaws" which are cut to fit the part being machined. One example of the use is for round parts as shown. Another(CNC setup) is that it allows the operator to use a saw cut a blank, position it in the vice, square both ends and do an operation to the top side, drill etc. all without moving the part. Soft jaws can also be cut to irregular shapes to hold castings or to a mirror image of an irregular part.

IOWOLF
05-13-2006, 06:48 AM
This is a Joke, Have you never been in a production shop? That is done on purpose for holding parts.:rolleyes:

Some peoples Kids.:eek:

JCHannum
05-13-2006, 07:47 AM
Yes, those are soft jaws. Vise jaws should be considered as consumable tooling.

A worse situation is the way they have the two vises at either end of the table. If the mill has been set up this way for any length of time, the table will move like a rocking chair.

sch
05-13-2006, 08:10 AM
Apart from the custom jaws, that is a really nice looking mill. Be interesting to see what the final is, but anything under $3k would look good to me.
Laguns are sparse in my area.
Steve

torker
05-13-2006, 08:11 AM
Ah...ok..all is forgiven then :D Never thought of them being soft jaws. I'm always thinking of what my son did to my drill press table that never USED to have a mark in it. It now has an extra few holes.

J Tiers
05-13-2006, 10:39 AM
Naw, its vise abuse alright............ they ought to have got some oil on that thing once or twice in the last century or so, but it looks like they just forgot.....

Millman
05-13-2006, 10:57 AM
Did anyone try their calculator? It would only cost me $60.43 to have it delivered to IN. Think someone made a mistake.

Wayne02
05-13-2006, 08:21 PM
Did anyone try their calculator? It would only cost me $60.43 to have it delivered to IN. Think someone made a mistake.
51.59 to have it shipped to Seattle via usps media mail... :)

rsr911
05-14-2006, 01:53 AM
I've got several sets of soft jaws for my CNC, heck the CNC makes the jaws for me. :D I have them marked in pairs for both the left and right vise. Two of the sets have a rabbit cut on top so I can hold work up above the vise and do all sorts of things like square the ends then drill holes, profile the top etc. all in one setup. I also have a program that cuts soft jaws for the three jaw on my big lathe including a starting radius on one end. These are marked in sets of three along with a letter to denote which stock size they where cut for. IMHO soft jaws are a real time saver.