PDA

View Full Version : How NOT to sell a milling machine

John Stevenson
05-15-2006, 11:58 AM
Read the description and the questions.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7617611660

What a dummy, with a little care on the info and descriptions this handy sized machine could have fetched double.

JCHannum
05-15-2006, 02:55 PM
The seller looks a bit fishy.

Take a look at his sales for the last 30 days, he listed a bunch of machines at low opening bid, and pulled them. Then listed this mill and a couple of other things.

He has a feedback of 81, but a lot of that is from buying teddy bears.

Tin Falcon
05-15-2006, 05:37 PM
Sir John: I hate the ones that say I got this Item for sale and I know nothing about it.
Especialy the ones that say it came from a relative . These folks seem like they could not care less just want to make a quick buck or pound an anything they get there hands on.
Tin

webbch
05-15-2006, 06:48 PM
The other thing is that the seller was unwilling to answer questions. For example, several people asked about table travels, giving pretty decent instructions for what measurmenets they were looking for, and his standard reply was that he simply didn't know anything about the machine.

It's clear this seller didn't give a darn about how much this item fetched due to his lack of cooperation.
Oh well, good for whoever bought it I guess.

Chad

level head
05-15-2006, 08:05 PM
i was very surprized when he said what the name of the machine was called

SJorgensen
05-16-2006, 12:08 AM
I must be looking at the wrong ad. The seller that I saw has a rating of 100%. Personally I like some of these ads where the seller doesn't know the technical information. I prefer to do the basic research myself anyway, and then I KNOW what the machine can do. Then all I have to worry about is the condition. This would have been an ad to watch.

aboard_epsilon
05-16-2006, 07:03 AM
Yep them are the ones I love , give it a bad description , and mark will be along to reap the rewards.
like the tool and cutter grinder i had that was described as a model makers lathe.

wish there were more dumb asses on ebay selling stuff..it's Ok by me.

all the best....mark

thistle
05-16-2006, 08:30 AM
THATS CAPITALISM-
smart people sell cheap stuff to dumb people for a lot of money.

dumb people sell expensive things to smart people for a little money.

JCHannum
05-16-2006, 10:10 AM
I must be looking at the wrong ad. The seller that I saw has a rating of 100%. Personally I like some of these ads where the seller doesn't know the technical information. I prefer to do the basic research myself anyway, and then I KNOW what the machine can do. Then all I have to worry about is the condition. This would have been an ad to watch.

He actually has 254 feedbacks, most are from low dollar items, and most are from a single seller. He has no feedbacks from any buyers, meaning he has sold nothing.

Last week, he listed nine machines, a Bridgeport, a lathe, several grinders and more with the same lame descriptions and low prices and pulled them the next day. He then listed three different machines, including the Excello mill that sold for low prices.

He may be legitimate and dumb, but several flags are raised, and a prospective bidder would do well to inspect in person before making payment.

John Stevenson
05-16-2006, 11:39 AM
Jim,
The UK is a lot different from the US.
Because it's so small collecting machines isn't a problem and most time the buyers pay cash on collection.
Flags go up here when they quote shipping charges on heavy machines.

I don't think there was anything queer about this auction other than the fact that he was that dumb he could have got far more for it with a bit of care.