PDA

View Full Version : Old weedeater salvage

Scatterplot
05-15-2006, 06:57 PM
I got like 9 broken weedeaters at an auction a long time ago, thinking maybe I could work on them a little, but they just sat outside for a long time, and I kinda don't want to work on them anymore. They all have kinda minor things wrong with them, don't really know what, but now they are for sure done. So I was gonna just tear them all up and use them in my new furnace. There are 2 things I need- metal stock and aluminum to melt. So what should I keep to machine later (maybe the pistons?) and what should I melt down? Or are there any parts that could be used on other stuff later (clutches, magnetos, etc?) Just wondering before I melt them all into puddles.

TECHSHOP
05-15-2006, 08:27 PM
I not sure what's all in a weedeater, but I would keep any of the screws and bolts, maybe there are some left-hand threads in the lot.

Are you melting for Al? Fe? or Mg?
Might make a difference in the outcome to know what the imput was.

Fasttrack
05-15-2006, 09:06 PM
Just took apart a weedwhacker brand weedeater and some other off-brand one. Weedwhacker had a nice little two shoe centrifugal clutch in it, the other one had no clutch. The clutches can be handy to have around depending on what you do. The clutch just has a little cap screw holding in on the crank shaft and a normal right hand 3/8 fine thread on the crankshaft to connect clutch and crankshaft. Otherwise maybe keep a magneeto and maybe one or two carbs as well as the spark plugs. Never know when you might want a little two stroke carb or magneeto for something - especially if you ever wanted to make a model engine. I think thats about it. The piston in the weedwhacker actually had quite a bit of brass on it. Havent actually taken it out, just peered in to take a peek and i saw a good bit of brass.

TGTool
05-15-2006, 11:05 PM
Scatterplot,

Ya mean you're not saving even ONE of them to mount on a skateboard? It wouldn't even have to run. Just leaving it parked on your porch should get you a lot of new respect from the neighborhood smartmouth kids.

Jan

torker
05-15-2006, 11:57 PM
There's a guy here who made a mount, a chain drive and a little 3 1/2" rubber roller.
He mounted it behind the seat of his old bicycle.
When he wants engine power he pushes down on the engine assembly, it snaps down and locks while putting pressure on the rubber roller that now rides on the top of the rear tire.
It's pretty neat. He can get about 25 mph on the flat. Not much help on the hills though.
The cops where giving him a hard time about it so he made an old milk crate that surrounds it. Looks funny, you can't see the engine now but you can hear it when you're close.
Russ

Fasttrack
05-16-2006, 05:34 PM
lol - yeah save one to use as a mini-bike or powered skateboard or somethin! Thats why i just took apart two! Planning on using them in conjunction with a mini two speed transmission i want to build to power a mini-bike. I've made some transmissions for go-karts but this will be the first time with a lathe handy to do everything rights and hopefully leak free! Also I've got a freind who put one on a skateboard and had a pretty good time with it. You might be surprised how much fun it is to build and even drive something like that - even when there are perfectly good cars sitting around!

J. Randall
05-16-2006, 09:32 PM
Get one running and drive another for a portable air compressor. James

charlie coghill
05-16-2006, 09:59 PM
Or get one running and mount a propeller on it for a model airplane engine.

halac
05-16-2006, 10:56 PM
I know a guy in the Nashville area that uses those motors to power the weapon on a 12 lb. combat robot. He calls it "Flight Risk". It got that name due to the flights it takes across the arena after he hits another bot.:eek:

http://www.buildersdb.com/search_robots.asp?BotName=flight+risk&x=28&y=13&TeamName=&ClassID=&City=&State=&Weapon=

JRouche
05-16-2006, 11:04 PM
Too bad they dont work, those are neat engines.

I have a old gas trimmer I used to drive an old alternator. Made DC, ooohh, DC :D ..

I wanted to make three phase thinking auto alternators are three phase alternators but I got busy with something else, go figure.

I wasn't expecting to do any real work with such a small system, just playin around years ago. JRouche

Scatterplot
05-17-2006, 12:51 AM
I'll try to save anything that works, but lots of these are long gone. Been sitting in the rain for like forever, and I know nothing about small engine repair. I'll do what I can, but I fear some are toast.