PDA

View Full Version : Replacement parts for HF 9x20

Scatterplot
05-16-2006, 02:31 AM
Anybody know of a good one? Grizzly's got the parts but they have a shipping cost determined by item cost, and I would rather not pay 7.70 to ship a replacement gib for my lathe.

JCHannum
05-16-2006, 12:10 PM
The last person to make a similar request was summarily drummed off the board, never to be heard from again.

If it is only a gib you need, they are dead simple to make, and many materials are suitable, cast iron, mild steel, any of the ground tool steels, brass or hard plastic all will serve to make a replacement. Cut and file to fit.

IOWOLF
05-16-2006, 12:39 PM
Why is $7.70 so bad to pay?But, Ask them to Drop it into a prio-mail envelope for $5.00 see what they say.

SGW
05-16-2006, 01:13 PM
Unless it's a tapered gib, which would get a lot more difficult, proceed as per JCHannum. Just make the thing. There is nothing magic about it.

n.b. if you use cold-rolled steel, anneal it first. Othewise it will warp when you machine the edges and relieve the stresses.

Scatterplot
05-16-2006, 01:24 PM
I dunno, I could pay 7.70, but it just seemed like they could put it in like a normal envelope even and save me some trouble. But I'll look into making it, haven't thought about that one much.

IOWOLF
05-16-2006, 03:02 PM
Go find a K&S stand at a hobby or Hardware store and get a piece of brass the correct size .I did a few years ago and its still working on a tool grinder.

Scatterplot
05-16-2006, 07:45 PM
Feel kinda dumb now. I found the gib :) I had actually thought it was eaten by the shop monster, after spending about an hour last night looking for it, only to see it sitting in the cross-slide's T-slot :)
If it had been a snake it would have bitten me, as they say :)