PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly lathes - G4003 vs G9249

brunneng
05-17-2006, 07:46 AM
I am looking at getting a 12x36 sized lathe.
Right now the 12x36 gear head (G4003) and the 12x37 belt drive (G9249) lathes at Grizzly are both $2095.

Basically they spec out almost the same. Gain a 1/2" here lose a 1/2" there. The belt is a little heavier and is a 2hp vs 1-1/2hp.
The gear head is a D1-4 camlock spindle
The belt is 2-1/4" x 8 TPI spindle

Do any of you have a reason you would get one over the other?

Thanks,
Kevin

G4003: http://www.grizzly.com/products/G4003
G9249: http://www.grizzly.com/products/G9249

Joel
05-17-2006, 08:00 AM
The D1-4 mount and the quick speed changes with the gear head make the choice clear to me. You get a quick change tool post as well.

John Stevenson
05-17-2006, 08:03 AM
Never been a lover of threaded spindles on mid to large sized lathes but I read the two spec sheets and two things jumped out at me.
One was the gear head is 1-1/2 HP but draws 9A and the belt drive 2HP model only draws 7.5A ???? :confused:

Second was the belt drive model only has a 3" tailstock movement compared to 4" on the GH, 3" is not a lot given you are on MT3

Schutzhund
05-17-2006, 02:47 PM
I like the 4003 for the camlock spindle and the availability of an off the shelf collet closer. http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2006/Main/552

Another thing to consider is that there are many 12x36 lathes on the market therefore future parts availabilty shouldn't be a problem.

The G9249 seems to be more rare. I have only seen that style offered by Grizzly which makes me a little leary. There may be others that carry a similar lathe but I am unaware of any. Just a thought.

JFitz
05-17-2006, 03:23 PM
I recently purchased the G9249 after much thought and consideration. I like the G9249 for its slower spindle speed, 50 RPM, more power for larger diameter work and a plus in threading. I believe it cuts more types of threads that the G4003. I also subscribe to the theory that you can cause less damage, to gears ext.,with a belt driven machine if something should go wrong. I think what clinched my choice was when I visited Grizzly in Pennsylvania. I looked at both machines and it seemed the G9249 was put together better, the cover over the spindle is solid cast iron. I"ve had only one minor electrical problem, a loose wire at a terminal block. I apologize if this is a dupe, I sent it prior but I suspect it did not go thru.

rfrey
05-17-2006, 04:05 PM
One was the gear head is 1-1/2 HP but draws 9A and the belt drive 2HP model only draws 7.5A ???? :confused:

Looks to me like the 1.5HP is 110 V, the 2 HP is 220V.

Rod

pcarpenter
05-17-2006, 07:34 PM
The Manufacturing Engineering department at work (a university) downstairs has a couple of the G4003's. Pretty nice really. I have played with them a bit and almost bought one for home before deciding on a 13x40 from Kent.

I would go with the 4003 over the other in a heartbeat. Gear drive is nice even though belt drive can offer some forgiveness if you crash something.

The toolpost is worth something as are the insert tool holders, the gear drive etc. It will cost a bit more as the stand is not included in the price with the 4003. I have only seen the other model in Grizzly's showroom and while nothing wrong with either, I like the gear head....If nothing else, it is nice to be able to set tooling up there without blocking access to change speeds ;)

Paul

Bguns
05-18-2006, 01:26 AM
I have been running a G4003 for 2 years now as a Gunsmith, Not as smooth as my South Bend but accurate enough for me. The Cam Lock spindle is the ONLY way to go, 5C collets are nice to use although the Grizzly Lever closer Sucks.......I will modify mine to handwheel style. It is still a belt drive to gearbox so if you are worried about breaking something on a heavy job just back off the belt tension a bit or run only one belt. The 70 rpm low speed is just a tad fast but I just cut some 3 1/4 x 8 tpi threads in 4140 and did'nt have a heart attack, might upgrade to a 3 phase motor and a VFD one of these days, there is an annoying speed gap between 360 and 600 rpm. Belts are a pain to replace on a change belt lathe and I can change speed in a couple seconds. The longer tailstock barrel throw is nice when deep hole drilling. Use locktite on Cabinet/Stand screws as they tend to vibrate loose. Smelt like a dead cat when I uncrated it :) seems OK now... Plenty of power even roughing 3 in 4140, runs smooth, I wish American iron was more plentiful, but here in Alaska there is no surplus of machines.....The QC toolpost gets a workout, always need more toolholders tho :) I also can keep my dial indicator and calipers etc on spindle lid, Its cast iron and I never have to lift it to change speeds :)

brunneng
05-18-2006, 02:45 AM
It sounds like the G4003 is pretty well the winner by majority choice. Our local HF finally moved to a building big enough to put one of the 12x36's on the floor. It looked and felt nice, as far as you could feel it out since it was a floor demo unit and therefor was more trashed than normal for HF.

I can get the stand at HF for a few bucks cheaper and save on shipping.

Thanks

brunneng
05-18-2006, 02:51 AM
Another thought...
For those that have the G4003, is there room for mounting a secondary set of pulleys to add a 2:1 reduction before the gearhead to expand the speed choices?
Maybe switch it in and out with a magnetic clutch or a lever acted dog clutch.

Bguns
05-18-2006, 04:55 PM
The motor bolts on the back of the headstock, an additional reduction could be squeezed in but end cover would probably need modification. A 3 phase motor and a VFD fed by single phase would be the best modification. 70 rpm is really slow enough 99% of the time. A VFD could still be switched by apron control handle and speed adjusted by VFD panel. Much easier to run a few wires than
redesign simple/reliable belt drive.