PDA

View Full Version : Wells Index mill?

gundog
05-17-2006, 08:07 PM
I am sorry if some get tired of me asking about all of these different mills but I am still looking. The lateset I have seen is a Wells Index is this a good brand are they imports or US made? Can parts be had for them if needed?
Thanks for any help and if anyone knows where I can find a good Bridgeport type machine in the Pacific NW let me know. Maybe I am unrealistic about a used machine I would like to spend between $2000-$3000 for used.
I am trying to find a deal on something if I want to spend $5000 I will buy a new import. I am looking for a 9x42 or 9x49.
Thanks Mike

TECHSHOP
05-17-2006, 08:19 PM
I think there are several users on this site, that can tell you for sure, but look here:

http://www.wellsindex.com/

And may I ask, " Why are you not on the way to the ATM?"

Kevin B.
05-17-2006, 08:38 PM
Wells-Index isn't as well known as Bridgeport but they are very very very nice machines. I bought a Model 45 after looking for a Bridgeport for a long time. I never heard of them before I saw this machine, But the seller started it up, let me try it and I bought it on the spot. Most pleasantly suprised to find them still in business, with parts available and the business run by some of the nicest and most helpful people I have ever run into. Mine has #9 Brown Sharpe taper spindle. Tooling is not as easy to find as R-8. True but not impossible either. Wells Index will regrind the spindle if you desire for about $250.00 IIRC. I spent $700.00 for mine, which is a model 45, made in 1957. Go look it over, you won't be dissapointed.

Good Luck, Kevin B.

bob308
05-17-2006, 08:39 PM
wells is the last made in u.s.a. mill the b-ports went out of the country in the 80's i sold a nice wells with power on the x axis for 2500 last year.

i have a enco 9x42 with dro and power feed and vari speed bought it new 6 years ago and have not had a bit of trouble with it.

gundog
05-17-2006, 08:43 PM
I have just made up my mind if I can buy used for under $3000 I will for a good used machine but if I am going to spend $4000-5000 I am going to buy a new import. The machine will not get used much I machine mostly proto type work maybe a couple of times a month. I have a mill/drill now and I want a more rigid and accurate machine with more capacity.
GD

mmambro
05-17-2006, 10:18 PM
I've been using a Wells-Index 847 or several months now after using a BP for several years. The Wells is a very, very nice machine. It is more rigid and heavier than a BP, but also seems to be a much smoother machine. I have an R8 spindle.

You absolutely cannot beat the support: they have parts for machines dating back to the 1940's and Rick Robison is always available to talk you through repairs/problems. The machine seems to have been designed to be easy to use, work on and service.

I don't understand why Wells-Index is not more popularly known or more widely used.

Mike

mmambro
05-17-2006, 10:21 PM
GD, call Wells-Index to see what they have by way of rebuilt machines. I think you can get a factory rebuilt one for what you are willing to pay for a new import.

I have no connection with Wells-Index, other than loving my mill and being a happy customer.

Mike

mmambro
05-17-2006, 10:27 PM
I've been using a Wells-Index 847 or several months now after using a BP for several years. The Wells is a very, very nice machine. It is more rigid and heavier than a BP, but also seems to be a much smoother machine. I have an R8 spindle.

You absolutely cannot beat the support: they have parts for machines dating back to the 1940's and Rick Robison is always available to talk you through repairs/problems. The machine seems to have been designed to be easy to use, work on and service.

I don't understand why Wells-Index is not more popularly known or more widely used.

Mike

garyphansen
05-17-2006, 11:14 PM
They are made in Muskegon, Michigan. Gary P. Hansen

IOWOLF
05-18-2006, 03:42 AM
I have a wells Index 747vs, I love it.As was said a heaver machine,no cute little hidey hole in the side like a bridgey.
Paid $1500 for it and came with a RPC,knee and x power feed,and oiler.I got a good deal i think,I would have paid twice that for one Knowing what I do now.

Oh, check out the nod on a W/I compare it to a B/P ,The W/I is centered.

thistle
05-18-2006, 09:19 AM
As has been mentioned before Wells index is in business and you can call and get the guy in charge Rick, which is nice in todays telephonic mazes and muzak abysses.

they are beefier than a Brigeport
Used from the factory can run $6000 to $8000 plus extras.
They rebuild for about $6000.
If you search Ebay for wells-index you will find out more as they list their products and services there.
I think there is a comparison between them and bridge porton ebay