PDA

View Full Version : sharpening end mills

T-Slot
10-18-2001, 10:19 PM
Have been looking at end mill sharpening fixtures in various catalogs and they all say to use on your surface grinder. I don't have a surface grinder and was wondering if you could set something up on a milling machine with maybe a rotary table to index the bit. This is only for sharpening the ends of coarse. What do you think?

------------------

VJRicci
10-18-2001, 11:06 PM
T-Slot
I have been looking into at the Quorn Grinder. I have also posted a request about same on HMS as you did. If your interested I can hook you up with a web in Queensland Aus. Let me know.

Thrud
10-18-2001, 11:25 PM
T-Slot,

Boy, do I have a project for you! Build a Quorn Tool grinder. There is not much it cannnot sharpen, but it is a real pain to build (buy the castings and the hardcover book on building it from England).

Alternately, Darex makes a really nice endmill sharpener with an air bearing spindle that uses 5C collets. This thing can even sharpen the flute edges, ball mills (an attachment is required for the ball ends), taps, and almost anything else that a machinist could dull. They have both CBN "Cubic Boron Nitride" wheels for HSS and Diamond wheels for Carbide.

Or, take them down to a tool regrinding shop that has CNC grinders.

Some tools such as Severance Tool Industries 6 flute "Chatterless Countersinks" are best returned to the factory to be resharpened properly - if resharpened normally, the Variable angle cutting edges that prevent the chatter are destroyed and the tool becomes just another crappy countersink.

Hope this helps.

Dave

The English suppliers are listed in "Model Engineer" (like Live Steam only more "English") by Nexus publications.

[This message has been edited by Thrud (edited 10-18-2001).]

Randy
10-19-2001, 10:52 AM
You're on the right track, T-slot. You can use your milling machine as a base for a sharpening setup. HSM has published at least one article on the idea. A Rudy Kouhoupt project, IIRC. I built a fixture like you've seen with both the 5* clearance and 2* center angles built in so I can use a grinding wheel that's square to the table. I forwent the 30* secondary clearance feature, I just do that offhand since it's not so critical. I suppose you could make a tapered plate to mount your rotary table on to get the desired angles. (You'll have fun figuring out how to make it.) If you have a tool post grinder for your lathe you could mount that on the milling machine head or overarm. (If you don't have a TP grinder that would be an excellent project, too! It's one of the best things I ever made.) One of the projects on my to-do list is Philip Duclos's floating endmill sharpener from HSM back in 1987. (Sheesh, where does the time go?) A Quorn sounds pretty cool, too.

bdarin
10-19-2001, 12:31 PM
Check also at Lautard.com. He sells plans for the "Tinker" T&C grinding fixture that you use with your own bench grinder. I got a set, not too hard to build. Might get to it one day.

panchula
10-19-2001, 02:11 PM
Randy:
Where did you find the plans for the tool post grinder? I've been looking for a good set of plans.

-Mike

John Stevenson
10-19-2001, 04:44 PM
Anybody want to build a tool and cutter grinder for under $50 ?
No castings.
Simple to build and use.
Watch this thread. A bit busy just at present, give me a few days to collect the stuff and get some photo's.

John S.

T-Slot
10-19-2001, 08:17 PM
Thanks all, You're giving me some good ideas to work with. Am pretty ignorant about this project. Have to study up on it a little more. Don't think I want to get into building anything too elaborate at this point. Have some cheap import end mills that dull as soon as you put them in the machine. For now just want to come up with a way to put an edge on them so I can use them for aluminum or brass. I've since gotten smarter and bought USA mills and have had much better success. Saw a post in another forum where a guy used a cup wheel in a milling machine and one of the "store bought" fixtures to index the bit. I'll have to get some parts around and see what I can figure out.

------------------

toff
10-20-2001, 01:10 AM
Hi,
For articles How to make:
Go to the home page here, upper left corner,there is a search function. try it. I goofed around and finally figured how to search for articles. Typed in toolpos and, A bunch of past articles came to light. Probably work for "sharpen" HSM and MR are available in back issue. Also, Some of the authors are collected in books.
toff

Ozarks Hermit
10-22-2001, 10:43 AM
There is an excellent article in "Metalworking, Book Two"; from the Best of Projects in Metal. It is titled "A small Tool & Cutter Grinder", by Glenn Wilson, pages 178-195. I looked into the Quorn, but decided that I would not live long enough to complete one. Then I bought the book and looked at the excellent plans, drawings, etc. Before I started the project I really "Scored" on a used Cuttermaster Tool & Cutter Grinder (gloat), so the project was scrapped.

Ken

Thrud
10-22-2001, 11:48 PM
Ozarks Hermit;

Some of the girls have ALL the luck! Good score & gloat though...

Dave

Tim Clarke
10-23-2001, 12:06 AM
I have a copy of the article in PIM, dated
Oct, 1991, "A Small Tool and Cutter Grinder"
Evidently, there was text and pictures in a
previous issue. The article says April issue, presumably the same year.

Based on the drawings I have, I don't feel that I could build one without a lot of engineering of my own. Several examples of why would include no drawing of the rear side wheel head support,[looks like a rear might be a mirror image of the front] and no dimensions or mention of the traverse feed rack, gear,
or the adj. of same. Perhaps I'm judging this
project before all the evidence is in. If
I ever lay my hands on the rest of the info on this grinder, I'll know for sure. I'm sure some of these have been built, no doubt by better men than I.

Guy Lautard's grinder looks interesting. I would like to hear from anyone who has built one.

I saw beautiful example of a Quorn grinder at the PRIME show, and it doesn't look like
something I want to attempt until I have way more time than I have now. I wonder how much the casting kit and book cost?

Tim in Oregon

SGW
10-23-2001, 09:02 AM
As one who has a Quorn "95% complete," a state it has been in for quite a while....

If I were making it again, I would not saw the castings for pinch bolts. I'd use split cotters, as described by Guy Lautard in his MBR#1. They are more work, but they hold beautifully.

Would I do the Quorn, at all, or something else? I'm not sure. If I ever get mine finished, I'll probably be a better judge!

Thrud
10-24-2001, 12:05 AM
SGW,

I agree with the Pinch Bolt idea. I really like the bent ball handle with the pinch bolt idea! That Guy sure has some cool stuff in his "Machinists Bedside Readers" if only he would bring out #4. The Stroka' Genius File rack book is good too.

You DO, of course know why The Brits can pound those Quorns out as fast as they do, don't you? Really Ugly British Women. "be right in Bunny-kins - just as soon as I finish what I am working on..." Don't believe me? Check out the gorgeous ball handles they put on the Quorn!

Dave

John Stevenson
10-24-2001, 02:49 AM
Thrud,
I went to the Midlands Model Engineering Exibition at Donington in the UK yesterday.
It runs for 6 days. Sat to Thu. So far every day has been packed. Usual trade stands but also many Model Engineering Society stands and row, upon row of fine models.
This proves it's a very popular hobby, but where are the Brits on the newsgroups?
They are in a minority if they post at all.
Most are just happy making chips. I make chips for a living so I find relaxation time on the odd group but most Brits just get out there and do it.
That's the differance.

Thrud
10-25-2001, 01:07 AM
John Stevenson,

The brits do make some wonderful stuff. I always look forward to reading ME & MEW to see what is being made. Brits look at making something from bar stock with disdain - you MUST use castings, you know!

Cherry Hill has made some of the best examples of what can be done when you set your mind to it. She researches the most obscure equipment ever made and then makes a museum quality scale model down to the last detail. The details are everything...

You are right, time spent yaking on the net is less productive but it is not a waste of time either. As a professional, when you come on line and help out guys that are trying so hard to learn and share your knowledge, experiences, and words of encouragement we all benefit from it. Many of the people on this forum are self taught or had some basic instruction in a shop class once. For many guys that first attempt at a project is a big jump and maybe a little scary, they make mistakes and get discouraged, maybe even give up. None of us should let that happen.

Dave