PDA

View Full Version : New newbie here

Coddfather
05-18-2006, 02:08 PM
Thought I would jump in and say hi all. I inherated my uncles 12x36 Atlas/ Craftsman back geared metal lathe. He was a brilliant fabricator that built most of the machines in the early years of the Bassett Furniture Company. He had been using it for wood working so you can guess what condition it was in. It had a couple of broken pieces and some worn pieces but I am getting it back in working order. I would like to get some additional attachments for it but I am finding it will be more fun to make them than buy them. Thanks in advance for answering any questions I may have. Jim.......BTW, I'm in the Tampa Fl. area so if anybody close by is out there give a shout.

Evan
05-18-2006, 02:22 PM
Hi. Nothing wrong with a little sawdust in the works. Used car salesmen have been using it for decades to make differentials run nice and quiet.

Alistair Hosie
05-18-2006, 02:33 PM
Welcome new member I hope we can make you feel at home and be helpful in the furure don't hesitate to ask what you like even if it sounds trivial at the time :DAlistair

CCWKen
05-18-2006, 02:37 PM
Welcome to the forum!

That's a dandy lathe and can provide years more of enjoyment and craftsmanship. I just finished restoring one myself--A 1939-42 model 101-07403.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/CCWKen/Tools/Craftsman%20Lathe/CraftsmanLathe05.jpg

IOWOLF
05-18-2006, 04:41 PM
She sure is purdy Ken,Wanna do another?A 10" with Q/C and a lot of extras, We could trade,I think you know for what. ;)

CCWKen
05-18-2006, 05:19 PM
LOL...I'm holding out for one of those big loaded BP mills you Northerners claim to be in such abundance up there. ;)

IOWOLF
05-18-2006, 05:34 PM
Ken,What specs. are you looking for?

eddie6675
05-18-2006, 05:36 PM
I'd love to have a machine like that... rite now, I own an Atlas 618...Great little machine- I can only imagine how nice the big one cuts! I hope you have a blast with your machining, It's almost magic when you think of somthing you want, and then make it. It almost too good to be true isn't it?

Coddfather
05-19-2006, 08:08 AM
Thanks for the welcome guys. Ken, that's my baby, I just don't have the follow or steady. BTW, Ken, what kind of cars do you play with? Jim

Wirecutter
05-19-2006, 09:15 AM
Welcome to the forum!

That's a dandy lathe and can provide years more of enjoyment and craftsmanship. I just finished restoring one myself--A 1939-42 model 101-07403.

Showoff! Seriously though, that was a nice restoration. Seems a shame to use it and get it dirty, doesn't it?

Scishopguy
05-19-2006, 12:54 PM
Hi Jim,

You are in a prime location to get lots of good machine tool accessories inexpensively. There are a lot of job shops down there and all kinds of supplies show up at the local flea markets. There is a guy that shows up every weekend at the one on the west side of the Wagonwheel, in Largo, who has end mills, reamers, tool bits, and precision tools. His prices are pretty reasonable. On other tables I have found some great deals on tooling. You might look up G and G machinery. Jerry Malachosky is a good guy to deal with and you can get some bargains from him. I visit the Tampa/ Clearwater area a couple times a year and always make the rounds looking for more goodies.

Good luck with the Atlas. You can still get parts from Blue Ridge Machinery but they are "proud" of their stuff as the price reflects. You will enjoy it for many years to come.

Jim (KB4IVH)

Just another Jim on the list 8^>)

CCWKen
05-19-2006, 01:51 PM
BTW, Ken, what kind of cars do you play with? Jim

Hey Jim. I "play" with most any car built before today but my most enjoyable times have been spent on the 1909-42 versions and a few pre-70. I do restorations and custom paint. Lately, it seems I've been doing a lot of replacement panel work for those that want to try their own "rebuilding".

(Commercial turned off) :D

Forgot to mention: There's lots of "Atlas/Craftsman" parts on ebay. They can sometimes get pricey too but there's still a few bargins out there.

Coddfather
05-22-2006, 12:55 PM
Hey Ken. I used to build Mazda rotary engines for fun and profit. Sponsored my own race team and had a ball doing it. I'm going to put a 300hp turbo rotary in the back of a Porsche 914. Have some fabrication to do but should be a fun ride. I have seen a boat load of Atlas parts on ebay in the past month, been picking up what i can. Hey Scishopguy. I have been to G&G, lots of good stuff, need to go back again. Forgot about the Wagonwheel, thanks for reminding me. A few years ago I actually bought some gears and bushings from Sears but like you say they were real proud of them. Thanks again guys..........