PDA

View Full Version : Out on a limb?

gundog
05-18-2006, 10:19 PM
Well I finally purchased a mill I bought this one on ebay sight unseen but I hope it is a good one if not I screwed up oh well won't be the first. This was my thinking I figure from the state of Washington it was probably bought new and not used in production hopefully no bad crashes. If the spindle is not R-8 I will have it reground. I did not have time to go and inspect so I hope all is well when I pick it up. Check it out please go easy on me and don't say I am stupid for not inspecting it first. I will tell you if it was a mistake when I go get it. It is about 2 hours N of where I live. Ebay item # 7618852188
GD

wierdscience
05-18-2006, 10:37 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7618852188&ru=http://search.ebay.com:80/7618852188_W0QQfromZR41QQfviZ1

You done good,don't worry about it.

wierdscience
05-18-2006, 10:41 PM
Heck Gundog,if you have the room you might pickup one of the K&T mills while your at it.

IOWOLF
05-19-2006, 03:42 AM
I saw that mill earlier this week, Now I have Mill envy.
even though its almost Identical to mine.

thistle
05-19-2006, 08:07 AM
Nice

If you send the spindle to WI they would grind it for you or you might be able to swap.

If the spindle is 30 taper you might want to keep it though.

torker
05-19-2006, 08:32 AM
I feel sorry for you. That thing is obviously scrap and should be brought to my place at once for proper disposal. :D
Two main knocks against it...it's going to be too heavy for you to move.
And you can still get parts etc. for it.
Who would want a machine like that? :D
(Good score bud!)

A.K. Boomer
05-19-2006, 08:51 AM
I would be really surprised if that spindle wasnt R8, if things check out like table and ways then i think you got a good deal, my only question to you is why wouldnt you go check first esp. if its only two hours away? God i can relate to the e-bay milling hunt, i spent close to a half year looking almost daily, it was quite the education, there was a couple of mills i would have got but shipping is a killer and i wanted to save by finding one closer like you did, I cant believe the ram travel on that dawg, she should be all the mill yu'll ever need but yes, its going to be heavy metal... Make sure that baby's ram is cinched down very tight before you pick her up, good luck in the move.

gundog
05-19-2006, 11:27 AM
My only reason for wanting R-8 is I already own some tooling from my mill/drill. I am probably going to sell off the mill/drill when it is up and running to cover the cost of a DRO for the X & Y. I could not get there to inspect before the auction closed so I decided to take a chance. I don't have that much R-8 tooling so it may be cheaper to re-tool than do anything with the spindle but I am not sure it may already be R-8.
GD

Alistair Hosie
05-19-2006, 12:25 PM
well done G D hope you have many happy years to enjoy it looks very nice to me kindest regards Alistair

pcarpenter
05-19-2006, 01:33 PM
That one looks pretty clean and still has what appears to be original paint, so that may imply something about how well cared for and how little used it may be. Still, buying off Ebay is tricky.

The pictures there often do not include important things like close-ups of the ways or lead screws, and yet there will sometimes be three pictures of the same thing from a distance. On top of that, when you do get "detail" pictures they are often out of focus, making them nearly useless. In your case, they had a nice picture of wires :-)

All that having been said, I bought a Bridgeport series 1 variable speed off ebay just over a year ago and still have it apart. It was grungy having been used with mist coolant which is basically just swarf adhesisve :D

I have spent the last year cleaning it up thoroughly,repainting, and replacing a few minor items. It had been rebuilt around 98 as I recall and I find lots of new parts with HQT stamped on them (High Quality Tools-- a replacement parts supplier). The only disappointment is that the knee to saddle gib had Turcite applied and it was falling off. Even if I had been able to look at it in advance, I would have declared it a winner as this turcite made this way fit "feel" tight and yet smooth. In running the gib without the turcite (still original flaking underneath) and with a shim to make up the difference, I cannot adjust it to allow full travel as the ways are worn just a bit in the middle.....so ....I am learning how to scrape from a local guy. The Y axis had *huge* runout that could not be explained by a bad nut, so I theorized that all that was wrong was a missing screw holding the nut in its bore. I was right. All the screws and nuts are in good shape! I tell you these things because they are two examples of things that might have made you rule a mill in or out if you actually had been able to see it in advance....one factor each way....and both would have produced incorrect assumptions during an evaluation. You just won't really know what you have until you take it apart and that is not likely prior to any sale....Ebay or not.

The rest of the way surfaces are all decent enough. I paid on the high end of things ($3100) for the mill with a Kurt vise, some collets, a Jacobs super chuck and arbor, a big flycutter, power X axis, and a Newall DRO. The DRO is certainly worth some portion of that price....it's NICE. When I got home, I found that the power feed had a tag on it that said "do not plug in" and found the reason why:mad: . I called the seller reminding them that they did not indicate this in the ad. They sent me a check that covered my costs of buying a new one. So....Ebay is nearly always a risk, but I think I still came out OK. I do always recommend at least some disassembly so you can see what you bought, however, but maybe that is just my personality type. I was the kid who took everything apart when I was young:D

Good luck with your new mill!

Paul

TECHSHOP
05-19-2006, 06:45 PM
Well, you finally went and did it, no more questions and worry about not finding a mill, now you just will be here asking questions like, "How do I..."
and posting pictures of your fine machinery and outstanding work.

Alguy
05-19-2006, 09:46 PM
With any luck at all you will find it came from a prison, and was only used to make shanks when the guard was not looking , looks good to me enjoy

wierdscience
05-20-2006, 12:06 AM
My only reason for wanting R-8 is I already own some tooling from my mill/drill. I am probably going to sell off the mill/drill when it is up and running to cover the cost of a DRO for the X & Y. I could not get there to inspect before the auction closed so I decided to take a chance. I don't have that much R-8 tooling so it may be cheaper to re-tool than do anything with the spindle but I am not sure it may already be R-8.
GD

If it does turnout to be a NT30 spindle,then you can get a NT30-R8 adapter reasonable enough.

The NT30 would be a definite plus.

gundog
05-21-2006, 11:55 AM
Does anyone know how much this mill weighs approximately? I am guessing 2500 Lbs. I need to go get it tomorrow and the trailer I am planning on renting has a 2640 Lbs load rating.
GD

charlie coghill
05-21-2006, 12:18 PM
My guess would be around 3000#, but that is a guess only. The picture appears to be about the same size as mine.

I question the 6' foot wide.

LES A W HARRIS
05-21-2006, 01:26 PM
GD,
Great Machine, DRO on Quill, Power feed, Power Drawbar! May indicate the # 30 Taper version, Weight? 2800 lb? thereabouts. Add a good DRO, Youre all set.
Cheers,

gundog
05-21-2006, 01:43 PM
Charlie,
You can tell by the listing the people making the listings don't know what they are selling. The Mill is from the State of Washington the measurements they give are the footprint of the machine not the actual table size. I would say they are measuring from the ends of the handles it probably has a 49" or 50" table. I am renting a uhaul trailer to go and get it they have a load rating of 2640 Lbs. I guess I could take off the head and haul it in the back of the truck. They will probably have a scale where I pick it up. I am thinking if I am close to the 2640 it will be ok.
Mike

IOWOLF
05-21-2006, 01:46 PM
Some short Guy spread his arms standing in front of the table. lets see 46" table 6 to 8" each side for handwheels and power feed,wa'la :)

thistle
05-21-2006, 01:58 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/mudskipper/847floorplan.jpg