PDA

View Full Version : Extended Lathe Bed

Bigbait
05-19-2006, 10:02 AM
I've been giving some thought to the possibility of extending a 30" Lathemaster bed to 40". Could the carriage move onto this extended bed with extra lead screw?

Has there beed a thread that has discussed anything similar or can anyone comment on the possibility/feasability of this?

Thanks
Tom

topct
05-19-2006, 10:40 AM
Can't remember where I saw it, but someone extended the length of one of the mini lathes by using another minilathe bed.

If you were to maybe use a longer lead screw and support the end farther out from the end of the bed, and remove the tail stock, you could gain some extra use of the bed. You would need to make a mount for the tailstock though.

Oh, and then there is the rack.

A lot of work for sure.

eddie6675
05-19-2006, 05:40 PM
Hi, The place you're thinking of is Steve Bedair's mini lathe site. He took alot of pics and also has a 9x20. so he might be able to tell you all you need to know. Just out of curiosity...what promted you to want to extend your lathe master? Oh.. and how does it do..pretty good? I've been thinking about buying one.
Eddie6675

BobWarfield
05-19-2006, 07:13 PM
Here is where the minilathe bed stretchers hang out:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/7x24Mini-LatheCNC/messages

Plenty of good pix and discussion of how they did it.

What the heck are you trying to turn that's so long and skinny (not much swing or spindle hole on a Lathemaster)?

Stretching the bed looks like a lot of work to me and it can't result in a very accurate tool. I would be very tempted to look at a bigger lathe.

Best,

BW

TECHSHOP
05-19-2006, 07:48 PM
I have extended a wood lathe bed out to 12-15 ft for some projects, but there is no lead screw.

In my pop's shop, his lathe can be slid away from the "head" to make a gap, or add a few inches, don't recall how much, ol'merican iron he bought used early 1970's.

Sorry, even less help than usual.

Rich Carlstedt
05-19-2006, 09:14 PM
During the Second World War, My father-in-law worked at a shop where they put two 6 foot lathes in line in order to handle a 14 foot shaft.
They removed the headstock and put a steady rest in it's place.
He said the Millwrights made sure the lathes were lined up perfect and they were anchored to the same slab of concrete ( 12" thick floor)
he said they did a lot of wild stuff " When You have to"

Bigbait
05-19-2006, 10:17 PM
Just out of curiosity...what promted you to want to extend your lathe master? Oh.. and how does it do..pretty good? I've been thinking about buying one.
Eddie6675

I don't have a Lathemaster yet, I ran across a super deal on one. But I need 40 inches to make it a taper lathe. I have plenty of other lathes I was just thinking of how I might use it if I pick it up.

Thanks to all
Tom

HWooldridge
05-19-2006, 11:43 PM
My lathe has a bed extension done at an Air Force machine shop but it only holds the tailstock. Nothing was done to modify the carriage or lead screw but it is nice to be able to push it back out of the way for some operations.