PDA

View Full Version : an interesting vise.

J Tiers
05-21-2006, 12:20 PM
Its a bit larger and heavier duty than the last one.

This one is a Reed manufacturing model 404, which I got for cheap, no doubt because the estate sale people thought it was broken. You can't blame them ....

Here is a pic of the vise, in more-or-less the same position of parts as when I saw it.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/jstanley/reed404C.jpg

The stationary jaw is pivoted to adapt to hold non-parallel things. A pin (long gone on this one) holds them in alinement for parallel use.

Here is the vise body where the jaw fits.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/jstanley/reed404A.jpg

Here is the jaw itself
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/jstanley/reed404B.jpg

It looks like the parts were made to fit each other, since the body and the swivel jaw each are marked with the number 198 stamped on them hidden on the "inside surfaces". I assumed that this was due to the pin hole being drilled and reamed individually for each vise, with other operations being performed later, so that the pieces needed to be separated and then re-assembled finally.

The parts are not dovetailed together, that is all the slides have a rectangular crossection. But of course it functions as a dovetail since the two slots are at right angles and the movement to slide out of one is blocked by the other. The only way to disassemble is to rotate the jaw out of the body sideways.

I tried googling for any info, but google had a hard time with it. It seems to be "404" in more ways than one,.I found nothing useful on it, although I found the company. They have no history of models, etc. SO I don't have any info as yet on the original intended purpose of the vise.

Instead I may have to go looking for the patents. There are three patent dates on it, varying from 1900 to 1914.

Not as heavy-duty as a solid jaw Reed, but nice anyway.

PTSideshow
05-21-2006, 12:33 PM
Nice looking one, heavy enough to break a foot or two if it falls off the bench while you are working on it. Sometimes them old iron items at the estate sales are winnersmostly when the last time they were used they were left in an unnatural pose. Must be junk they say, ya think we can find somebody give $5 bucks LOL. Love them deals got a box each of stakes, holders and hammers for art metal,sheet metal work. $15.00 for the lot still cleaning them up and taking the nicks out and polishing them. Saved almost a grand on the cost of new iron so far. Enjoy!:D

Mike Burdick
05-21-2006, 12:37 PM
J. Teirs,

Yes indeed, the vises you have shown are very interesting! I never knew so many varieties were made. Is 'collecting' vises a hobby of yours or is it just working out that way?

BadDog
05-21-2006, 02:51 PM
Nice find! I love odd stuff like that. I just found a nice largeish old Wilton for $20 and was feeling all good with the world, but sounds like you got the better deal. ;)

Scishopguy
05-21-2006, 10:39 PM
quote:

Sometimes them old iron items at the estate sales are winnersmostly when the last time they were used they were left in an unnatural pose. Must be junk they say, ya think we can find somebody give $5 bucks LOL.

Glen,

You can sure say that again!!! A friend of mine had an old South bend overhead belt drive lathe with change gears for threading. At a surplus sale we saw what turned out to be a brand new quick change gearbox for a newer South bend. It had a short shaft that had been modified to fit some other aplication. We turned it so it faced the wall with the greasy looking gears showing. He was the only one to bid on it and got it for $15. We easily adapted it to his lathe and it really made the machine a pleasure to use. Most folks don't like those dirty or rusty looking lumps. That gear box probably would cost a thousand bucks, even 25 years ago.

Jim (KB4IVH)

J Tiers
05-21-2006, 11:09 PM
J. Teirs,

Yes indeed, the vises you have shown are very interesting! I never knew so many varieties were made. Is 'collecting' vises a hobby of yours or is it just working out that way?

Well,I wanted a large Ridge or Reed, possibly old Wilton, but was looking for solid jaws. This, for $20, was not something I could leave there, even though with the probably more fragile jaws, it doesn't quite fit what I wanted.

And, no, vises are not another vice of mine. This at least was in my "window". The previous one was simply because I thought it was interesting, and not too expensive.

BadDog
05-22-2006, 02:26 AM
Heh, what timing, just replied on another thread about a new Wilton in my shop. I got it all cleaned up, stripped, painted, and in my shop today, life is good...

It was painted (the last time) in a blue house paint. Of course, that was over previous paintjobs of black, some light green, and red (which was original it appears? at least it was red underneath); all of which were cracked and peeling nicely. You could only barely make out the name on the side. But it worked smoothly and had no obvious damage, just a few miss-whacks here and there. I paid $20 for it, and the guy probably thought he real patsy. After a strip and repaint, I've got maybe $25 in a very nice 5" Wilton that now has a single layer of Hammerite Light Charcoal on it... Even came with a nice set of Brass soft jaws. So I guess it's not all bad if they cover up a nice machine/tool with all that house paint, then we can buy it for a song and fix it... Now if I can just find a 12" Logan in similar condition and price. <gin>

TECHSHOP
05-22-2006, 09:09 PM
J Tiers:

Just wondering on the price you paid. Because there was a 8 inch or so Reed vise that went for about 125USD (tagged $200, firm) in one of my local used tool haunts. There are some smaller USA made vises, and every so often a "giant" (12 in+) vice shows up. Always tought shipping would be a deal killer, but what do I know, living in the NE USA rust belt.

I have seen your style vice before, but passed, no further info, Erie is at the other end.

lane
05-22-2006, 09:17 PM
YES GOT ONE JUST LIKE It PULL TAPER PIN AND BACK JAW SWIVLES TO HOLD ODD SHAPED PARTS YES MY BOY YOU NOW HAVE A REAL MACHINIST VICE>

Millman
05-22-2006, 09:21 PM
Tiers, you did good. Love the oldies with balls!

J Tiers
05-23-2006, 12:40 AM
YES GOT ONE JUST LIKE It PULL TAPER PIN AND BACK JAW SWIVLES TO HOLD ODD SHAPED PARTS YES MY BOY YOU NOW HAVE A REAL MACHINIST VICE>

Is it a taper pin? I wondered, but haven't got to checking it out..... Trying to find a place to put the 12" lever shear/rod cutter I got there also.

There hasn't been one in this vise for a while, the hole is a bit rusty. Rust is not bad, just "there".

Hah, went and looked at it and it is indeed tapered, which makes total sense for an alinement hole.

As far as it being a "real machinist vise", that would probably be a Ridge, or larger Wilton. This one is a bit dicier due to the movable jaw...... I wouldn't be wanting to tunk on something held in this one the way I might in a solid jaw vise. The dad-in-law's big Ridge will take anything, and has.

Lest you should think that the folks were low-price patsies, a Grizzly 10" rotary table they marked at $250, and a decent but ancient die filer , brand unknown they had $375 on...... The place was apparently the home of a metal sculptor. There were a number of assorted tools, and a doubtful looking Gingery furnace that I quickly decided against.

Second day, when I went back to see about the shear, the shear was still there (half price now) and there were substantial reductions on the filer and rotary table.