PDA

View Full Version : Back From "candy Land"

Alistair Hosie
05-31-2006, 03:56 PM
Jim is that the big wheel cartwheel or something market I have been there,although if I remember right that is in Orlando . Man that is big also when in Florida try the pawnshops for tools you can usually haggle a good deal with them for stuff I love Florida.when I sit here and it's raining I think of the days spent there with an open topped car and all the palm trees down by the water beautiful.Alistair envious:Djust kidding

Scishopguy
05-31-2006, 06:58 PM
Hi Alistair,

The Wagon Wheel is a landmark down in Largo. They have been their for at least thirty years that I know of. There are so many old guys selling stuff from their garages that you never know what you will find. I always look for machinist tools, good quality hand tools, and clamps. You can never have too many clamps. I do check the pawn shops for power tools. Lately, all the contractors who work on big construction jobs have taken to buying all new power tools for the laborers to use as part of the cost of doing the job. When the job is over they just sell them all at the hock shop and buy new for the next job. I have relatives with a scrap metal business down there so I am always alowed to pick the pile a little. This time I came up with a bunch of hex and round stock that was drop from some shop's screw machines and automatic chuckers. That stuff is gold for a guy like me!

Quote:
I sit here and it's raining I think of the days spent there with an open topped car and all the palm trees down by the water beautiful.Alistair enviousjust kidding
In the winter it is a real tropical paradise but it was 96* on Saturday and we almost died of heat stroke, and that was at 9:00am in the morning. I usually go there in the winter as it is more tolerable and the pickings are much better. The northerners all come down in the winter and bring treasure to sell for extra cash.

Jim (KB4IVH)

Scishopguy
06-01-2006, 10:28 PM
I spent the holiday weekend in Clearwater Florida, the home of my favorite flea markets. I was fortunate enough to find some great deals on end mills, reamers, and broaches. A guy at the 49th street Flea Market had a box of assorted cutters and was asking $0.50 each for them. I got a dozen from him and that included a one inch ball, a 3/4" ball four flute, and a corner round over with an eighth inch radius. A guy at the Gunn Highway Flea Market had a great selection of cutters but was significantly higher in price. I managed to get 6 slotting saws of various thicknesses and tooth configurations for $20 from him. Since I just got an R-8 arbor for these I will be all set for some project work in the near future. I got some keyway broaches amongst some trays of stuff that came from tool box leftovers. There was a square hole broach that someone had made to take the corners out of a round hole. All in all it was a great weekend of "scrounging." It is a lot of fun to find gems that you can use for a fraction of the new cost. I hope everyone had a safe and pleasant Memorial day weekend.

Jim (KB4IVH)

Let us never forget those who sacraficed so much