PDA

View Full Version : Abbreviations

StephenK
02-16-2003, 03:39 PM
In many of the posts abbreviations are used instead of spelling out the word (words). Most of these I can figure out but so far IMHO has me stumped. Explaination please.

Techtchr
02-16-2003, 03:59 PM
IMHO in my humble opinion.

Try the teaching profession, we got us an acroynm for words that are shorter than the acroynm.

Matt

Mark the spark
02-16-2003, 04:06 PM
ok then,
Why is "abbreviation" such a long word?

Also did you know, a tennis ball will not kill you even if dropped from an aeroplane.

WD40 stands for "water displacement 40th attempt"

Mark...

3jaw
02-16-2003, 05:07 PM
Try this,

http://www.uscash.net/tips/chat.html

Greg

L Webb
02-16-2003, 07:28 PM
Since we are asking questions......
If nothing sticks to Teflon, How do they apply it to cookware?
Why do we park on driveways, and drive on parkways?
Why use an alcohol swab before administering a lethal injection?
Inquiring minds want to know.
Les

John Stevenson
02-16-2003, 08:44 PM
Why is there only one monopolies commision?

American Mill Spec - MIL-TFD41
Make it like the f*****g drawing for once

John S.

Forrest Addy
02-16-2003, 08:58 PM
If driving under the influence is illegal, why to bars and cocktail lounges have parking lots.

This may be shortened to IDUTIIIWDBCLHPL. Pronounce it just as it sounds.

I used to be a nuc. Talk about an alphabet soup of acrynyms. I used to write deficiency reports. I once wrote one that was deliberately satyrical; practically all acronyms. I got a pat on the back from the powers that be and credit for brevity and to the poit writing. Pearls before swine.

Spin Doctor
02-16-2003, 09:22 PM
Well there's always DILLIGAF. Do I look like I give a ----

My favorite has always been the one for a B-52-BUFF. Big Ugly Fat F-----r

docsteve66
02-16-2003, 10:29 PM
many things are explained by IPOIA or (properly spoken) IP of IA. Innate preversity of inanimate objects. most noticable when there is "no gin in the generator' Light bulbs that only fail to light when its dark, pens that only give ink when in the shirt pocket, cars that start at the garage, but not at home. the list is endless.
Steve

Thrud
02-17-2003, 02:05 AM
Steve
When my university English professor started talking about anthropamorphicly incorrect similies used to make me go ape**** especially when she bent over in her taught leather mini skirt - there was much chest beating and dung flinging in the cage that day, I tell you! http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif
(Shut up and pass the blonde professor - wohoo!)

docsteve66
02-17-2003, 04:06 PM
Dave: do you by any chance mean (on the skirt): "┬╣taut adj [ME tought] (14c) 1 a: having no give or slack: tightly drawn b: high-strung, tense <~ nerves> 2 a: kept in proper order or condition <a ~ ship> b (1): not loose or flabby (2): marked by economy of structure and detail"? rather than "Taught" ?

I went to so many schools- several a year, and I think I fell in love with most female teachers http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif.

Steve

Techtchr
02-17-2003, 04:59 PM
Had to laugh once when I heard George W use the term SNAFU. Did he really know what it meant?

Steve, I'm guessing Thrud was hoping to be taught a little about taut things, and the tension was probably getting stressful. Spell it any way you please.

Dam, I think I've just descovered a new way to keep the boys attention when we discuss properties of materials in POE class. I don't look good in a mini, so I guess I'll have to recruit one of the new female teachers.

Matt

jfsmith
02-17-2003, 05:00 PM
while in the U.S. army, a reserve unit came for their two weeks of summer camp. They had a civilian technician, who had the authority to wear the army uniform and had several job assignments that weren't unit or command related. We ask what his uities were and what was is designation was? He replied that he was a Field Army Reserve Technician.
He bought the drinks at the NCO club.

Jerry