PDA

View Full Version : 6" 4-jaw chuck recommendations

dberndt
06-15-2006, 08:53 AM
I've been looking around some for a new 6" 4-jaw chuck. Something with 2 part jaws so I can make my own soft jaws. It should be plain backed as well so I can make my own adapter plates.

Anyone have any recommendations? I haven't found an 6" that have 2 part jaws yet. It seems most chuck manufacturers that I know of don't have any web presence. Couldn't find a Bison website, a buck website, etc.

JCHannum
06-15-2006, 09:58 AM
Bison is distributed by Toolmex. Catalogs are available online here:

http://www.toolmex.com/Tools/TCatalogs.asp

You may be hard pressed to find two piece jaws in a 6" four jaw though.

thistle
06-15-2006, 10:21 AM
http://www.victornet.com

Norman Atkinson
06-15-2006, 10:43 AM
Hi Alex!

Last Model Engineers Workshop has someone making a two jaw 5" from a new Hemingway Kit.

Given getting a back plate, the rest of it should be fairly straightforward for it to be from local materials.

Yes?

My kind regards

Norm

thistle
06-15-2006, 12:30 PM
my apologies , my brain is dissolving in the heat, the link i put up doesnt have a 4 jaw with 2 piece jaws,for some reason i was thinking 3 jaws . slap.

thistle
06-15-2006, 12:36 PM
http://www.hemingwaykits.com/acatalog/2_Jaw_Independent_Chuck____5_.html

looks like a fun attachment Norm

Norman Atkinson
06-15-2006, 07:07 PM
For those, like me who are having 'problems' a bit of news that has just appeared in Star News, the Journal of RAF 31 Assocation.

ET Found Discarded in Cottage Attic
A foot tall alien, believed to be the property of US Military, has been found in a sweet jar in a North Norfolk( England) cottage. A TV company has begun an investigation after spotting a US serial number on its left foot and is pressing for answers.
Alien expert Prof Adam Roberts from the University of London says " it has the look of a grey, a type of alien common in popular culture"
So far, the Pentagon is refusing to comment. ( Ex Eastern Daily Press of 6th Feb)

Some of us find other things in bottles
Hic!

Norm

japcas
06-15-2006, 07:25 PM
I've been looking around some for a new 6" 4-jaw chuck. Something with 2 part jaws so I can make my own soft jaws. It should be plain backed as well so I can make my own adapter plates.

Anyone have any recommendations? I haven't found an 6" that have 2 part jaws yet. It seems most chuck manufacturers that I know of don't have any web presence. Couldn't find a Bison website, a buck website, etc.

While I'm sure someone has at one time or still does make a 4-jaw chuck with two piece jaws, they are probably few and far between. The reason you probably can't find them is that a four jaw works well with one piece jaws and can be reversed using the same jaw. Also, a one piece jaw is stronger than a two piece jaw. Unlike a 3 jaw chuck that either has to have two sets of jaws or a 2 piece jaw to be able to be reversed because of the scroll. If you are going to be making your own jaws then I assume you will be boring them to hold your work. I'd say a 3 jaw would be perfectly fine for that purpose. I'm not trying to talk you into a 3 jaw, I'm just saying a 4 jaw with two piece jaws might be hard to find. Good luck.

CCWKen
06-16-2006, 01:41 AM
... Also, a one piece jaw is stronger than a two piece jaw.

I'm curious--How so? My two piece jaws interlock in a cross pattern. The cap screws simply hold it down. They don't come apart unless you pull them straight up.

japcas
06-16-2006, 11:12 AM
I'm curious--How so? My two piece jaws interlock in a cross pattern. The cap screws simply hold it down. They don't come apart unless you pull them straight up.

Maybe not stonger Ken, but at least you don't have to worry about accidentally forgetting to tighten the screws that hold them down to the bottom of the jaw and them coming apart on you while machining.:rolleyes: All of the ones I've seen interlock like you said also. Guess I should be more clear next time.

miker
06-16-2006, 08:26 PM
How/Why are the jaws in two pieces?

Rgds

Michael

japcas
06-16-2006, 09:07 PM
The reason for having 2 piece jaws on a 3 jaw chuck is so the jaws can be reversed for more chucking options like on a 4 jaw. The problem is that a set of jaws for a 3 jaw chuck with a scroll in it will only go in one direction in the chuck. Usually there will be an extra set of jaws that will allow for turning the jaws the opposite direction of the regular jaws. By using a 2 piece jaw, the bottom half of the jaw is not reversed, but the top half is bolted onto the bottom and it can be reversed. I have seen a 3 jaw scroll chuck that did have reversible 1 piece jaws but I don't think they are very common.