PDA

View Full Version : air compressor.. home built

freddycougar
07-05-2006, 11:50 PM
my bandsaw project is coming to an end.. soooo i need a nuther project.. thinking of building a pump, from scratch, a v twin, 4 inch bore 3 inch stroke. hydraulic tube for cylinder bores, 8 inch tube 1 inch wall for crankcase.. .id make the crank like a harley, three peice .. what u think? mabee use chevy pistons. yes i know i can buy one but whats the fun of that? a bit of feed back would be ok... lol might be kind of fun..
freddy

BobWarfield
07-06-2006, 01:05 AM
Oh golly, so many things to make and so little time. That would certainly be an interesting project, all right. But a compressor seems like an awful lot of trouble relative to what they cost. There must surely be another tool that has a better price/performance ratio?

Best,

BW

freddycougar
07-06-2006, 01:10 AM
well bob i want air soon.. dont need anything else...dont seem that difficult i have more than a file... lol
fredy

Mike Burdick
07-06-2006, 02:12 AM
Freddy,

Hmmm...could be an interesting project...

Since you're determined to make one, what about getting sleeves for the cylinders. A good choice would be to use the piston, sleeve, etc made for a Perkins Diesel.

darryl
07-06-2006, 02:13 AM
I had a strong urge to pick up an automotive air conditioner compressor from the scrapyard the other day. I wonder what it would be like to convert for shop air? Looks to me like they turn at engine speed- could work to go direct drive (through a coupling ) from a 3450 rpm motor. Might need a good 2 or 3 horse motor to run it, I don't know. There could be some issues with the clutch, but it shouldn't be too hard to arrange a positive drive without needing to power the clutch.

Maybe there would be an issue with lubrication, like with some home fridge compressors. Maybe not.

It's a thought anyway.

Forrest Addy
07-06-2006, 02:20 AM
Why not start with a lawn mower engine. Most of the necessary stuff is right there. A new head with reed valves...

Evan
07-06-2006, 02:22 AM
Get an old straight six. Remove the exhaust valve pushrods and cam followers for the back three cylinders. Block off the intakes to those cylinders and port them to fresh air. Install one way valves in place of the spark plugs and plumb to a common manifold and air receiver. It will now fire 1, 3, 2 and pump air on 5, 6 and 4 (order 153624) Hook the unused spark plug cables to the unused spark plugs and ground the plugs as usual someplace so they still spark. This stops the voltage rising too high.

Vrooom. Sandblaster!

Bill Cook
07-06-2006, 02:23 AM
Just to throw out some more ideas:

A compressor can be made out of an engine by replacing the valve train with disk valves and a few other mods.

Could even convert half of the cylinders and power it with the other half - not an uncommon setup.

BC

MarkRover
07-06-2006, 04:20 AM
Air Con Compressors make very good air compressors. You can usually get 12-14 CFM from one. Lubrication is an issue, as they use the refrigerant as a lubricant, but I have seen setups that just use an in line drip oiler (like you would use on an air tool) in the inlet, and then a big coalescing filter on the output. I have also seen setups where the compressor has been packed with grease, but I would be less confident of that!

This is the setup I am plannig to use on my Land Rover for on-board Air, but I see no reason it couldn't be used with a decent electric motor.

Mark

winchman
07-06-2006, 07:40 AM
"Why not start with a lawn mower engine. Most of the necessary stuff is right there. A new head with reed valves..."

You mean like this?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/winchman/000_1269.jpg

Which I made from a discarded almost-brand-new mower with a bent crank from hitting a stump. It's got a new head with an O-ring check valve for the outlet. The original intake valve remains with a very light spring on it for the inlet. The exhaust valve is held down by the new head, and the valve lifters were removed. It's powered by a 1/3HP washing machine motor.
It's good for about 50psi, but the flow's pretty low.

It's been running since 1968 with no problems, and it still has the original oil in the crankcase. I did clean the air filter a few times though. :)

Roger

JCHannum
07-06-2006, 08:23 AM
There are many compressors made from IC engines. There was at least one that was self powered. It resembled a tractor and had a large air tank mounted on the front. It may have been a Schramm, I don't recall for sure. They did make a combo compressor.

One of my next projects is to build a hit & miss engine out of an air compressor. It works both ways. All you need is to make a suitable head and add or remove the valve train depending on which way you are going.

lsloth
07-06-2006, 08:31 AM
I had a strong urge to pick up an automotive air conditioner compressor from the scrapyard the other day. I wonder what it would be like to convert for shop air? Looks to me like they turn at engine speed- could work to go direct drive (through a coupling ) from a 3450 rpm motor. Might need a good 2 or 3 horse motor to run it, I don't know. There could be some issues with the clutch, but it shouldn't be too hard to arrange a positive drive without needing to power the clutch.

Maybe there would be an issue with lubrication, like with some home fridge compressors. Maybe not.

It's a thought anyway.

Mine works okay. Takes a little while to fill the 60gallon tank. Just a york AC compressor. Pretty common on volvo's and older fords.

http://www.r65.org/tacoma/compressor1/york.jpg

A.K. Boomer
07-06-2006, 09:08 AM
Thats the kind my older brother built for filling up tires and stuff, we used it for at least a decade and had no lube issues, it didnt have a tank, it just had a motor, compressor, hose and adj. pressure relief.

A.K. Boomer
07-06-2006, 09:21 AM
I cant remember for the life of me but somebody makes a pretty strange automotive compressor or at least did, it had like 6? tiny little cylinders all in a circle, (not radial but circular), the crank was some kind of an offset lazy susan thing, very strange, but i bet it was smooth,,, you could over bore three and connect them to the remaining standard three and have a pretty extravagant high rpm two stage...

Bill Cook
07-06-2006, 10:00 AM
The York automotive compressors hold their oil in the crankcase. On some instalations they had shutoffs on the inlet and outlet so the oil level could be checked.

The round compressors - radial and axial - rely on oil circulating with the refrigerant.

BC

Wareagle
07-06-2006, 06:17 PM
If I were to build an air compresser from an A/C compressor, I'd use an old York. Those things are bullet proof.

Isloth, what did you do to engage the clutch?

IOWOLF
07-06-2006, 06:39 PM
There are many compressors made from IC engines. There was at least one that was self powered. It resembled a tractor and had a large air tank mounted on the front. It may have been a Schramm, I don't recall for sure. They did make a combo compressor.

One of my next projects is to build a hit & miss engine out of an air compressor. It works both ways. All you need is to make a suitable head and add or remove the valve train depending on which way you are going.

There was one of those tractor/compressors at a auction a couple of years back,$350.00 and it was driven away.

winchman
07-06-2006, 06:55 PM
"...what did you do to engage the clutch?"

A little welding would do nicely. Is that why paint on the pulley is discolored?
Roger

Evan
07-06-2006, 06:57 PM
There are many compressors made from IC engines.

Yep. Including the ones at West Coast Transmission natural gas pumping station 5 just up the road about a 100 klicks. IIRC, 12 cylinder with cylinders the size of garbage cans. Six cylinders burn gas for power and the other six compress the gas into the next leg of the pipeline. There are four of these in a line. The gas comes out of the compressor in a one foot diameter manifold pipe that is glowing red hot. :eek: It goes to a giant radiator system outside to cool it before it goes back into the pipe. What always bothered me was the ever present faint smell of gas...

wierdscience
07-06-2006, 10:48 PM
If I were going to that much trouble I would go all the way and either build cylinders with a cooling jacket making a water cooled compressor.

Or,rebuild an existing commercial air compressor pump from the scrapyard.Most are thown out for crank or oil pump damage,but an HSMer shouldn't have too much trouble fixing things like that.

freddycougar
07-07-2006, 11:17 AM
hey guys thanks for the input... i like the look of a v twin... think i will shrink some aluminum over the sleve and use the part off and make fins,,, this might be a fun one, pressure lube crank, oil spray under the piston.. brass cylinder head
freddy...

A.K. Boomer
07-07-2006, 02:39 PM
Iv got a v-twin puma, cast iron - USA,,, iv had it for 15 years now and its been great, just a single stage but i got it tweeked to get a 150 psi out of it, i live at over 5,280 ft so i removed the head gaskets when i first got it and she pumps up quicker...

LastOldDog
07-07-2006, 03:11 PM
There are many compressors made from IC engines.

I think it is a natural for portables. Years ago, maybe 50 or so, I saw 'Contractor compressors' with the Wisconson lable on them. V4 air cooled engines. 2 cyl gas, 2 cyl compressor, usually trailer mounted. Lloyd

btr-cj
07-07-2006, 04:54 PM
Back in the late 70's or early 80's seems like i remember a contractor compressor on a trailer by maybe SulAir that was a small block ford V8. 1 cly bank was run as gas engine and the other bank was a compresser. Cool idea.

c.j.

wierdscience
07-07-2006, 09:07 PM
Ya,I got a P.K.Lindsey that's built like that,360 Crysler motor,4 running 4 pumping.It blows a hurricane when it's running,175cfm@120psi.Only bad thing is the unloader rubbers don't last long,I got a sceme to fix it though.

J. R. Williams
07-07-2006, 11:18 PM
I built one about 25 years ago using an old Ford /York compressor. The clutch was cycled using a 12 volt DC power supply to pull in after the motor started. Occasionally oil would have to be added to the compressor as it does move with the air. I added a good oil/water knock out unit. I drove it with a 3/4 hp repulsion start- induction run motor to hold 125 psig in my system. I gave it to a friend a few years ago when I acquired a good Quincy two cylinder unit.

JRW

freddycougar
07-08-2006, 12:37 PM
gives me time to think... i think i gonna get the crankshaft, use the piston/rod and use that ..for the internals
ill cut the crank behind the second main face it off , bore a hole for the oil pump coupler. this may be easier than i thought.. works out ot 87 cubic inch displacement.. or 30 cfm
might take a 5 hp moter... 600rpm
freddy

sasquatch
07-08-2006, 08:14 PM
Freddy, great sounding project! Another company who sold a kit to build your own years ago, was a company called Gordon Smith, from i think Bowling Green Kentucky? This unit would use the famous Ford model A 4 cyl. engine,
which i,m sure had a 4inch bore, but not sure of the stroke. And J.C. Hannem
Yes the Schramm Co. did build mobile compressor units, (self propelled) on tracks like a small dozer without the blade. I just picked up a small flat belt driven compressor in excellant shape, (looks like it may have been a garage unit,) It,s a Curtis, with the pat. dates on the tag of 1915 & 1921. A neat collectible!!----Ahhh, the Night Shift,,, many projects were not only planned, but machined, welded etc., on the Night Shift!!;)
Ray in N. Ont.

Dawai
07-09-2006, 12:42 AM
www.eatoncompressor.com has pumps ready to go..

http://www.eatoncompressor.com/i//Copy_of_7.5_HP_close_up_1.jpg
My new one.. a 7.5.. V4 pump weighs as much as I do.

Less working on tools, more on the hobby.. Unless the tool is the hobby.

Evan
07-09-2006, 01:33 AM
Hello David. Nice compressor.

freddycougar
07-09-2006, 11:09 AM
yes evan..... Many
lmao
Freddy

dicks42000
07-09-2006, 11:54 AM
Evan;
Is the West Coast Transmission unit an Ingersoll-Rand gas compressor ?
I used to build flexible couplings for some types of I-R gas compressor drives.
(LO-REZ torsionally flexible cplgs.) Some big recip. compressors & engines used for gas transmission, also huge gas turbines & turbo-compressors.
Rick