PDA

View Full Version : Auction sites other than Ebay?

wierdscience
07-09-2006, 02:46 PM
Does anyone know of an auction or sale site where a person can sell items not well suited to Ebay i.e. tech,lab or calibration equipment?

We have tons of stuff at work that won't bring much on Ebay,but might if it were presented somewhere with a more refined focus.

As an example we once had a whole pallet load of NIB Emerson absolute vaccum pumps,I couldn't get hardly any lookers let alone bidders on Ebay,luckily we sold the whole lot to a chemical company,if they hadn't bought them they probably would have gone for automotive a/c work at a fraction of the're worth.

CCWKen
07-09-2006, 06:58 PM
"Absolute vaccum pump" ? While probably not possible on Earth, I would have bought one. They make great A/C vacuums. :D

The problem with lab equipment is that it's a special buyer and they're looking for certifications on it's capabilities. Companies with capital investment opportunities seldom purchase items off Ebay. The risk is too high for a "no warranty" purchase. There's a place in Austin, Texas that's been trying to sell chip (IC's) making equipment on Ebay for what seems like years. I guess some of it may have sold but the listing fees on $100,000+ items has got to be painful. :eek:

Milacron of PM
07-10-2006, 12:49 AM
I haven't kept up with it lately, but a few years ago, LabX was THE site for used lab and electronic test equipment sales, www.labx.com

If you had enough to make worth their while, I suspect Hoff Hilk's online auctions could get more for lab equipment than eBay...they sure do manage that trick on machine tools anyway.

wierdscience
07-10-2006, 09:15 PM
I haven't kept up with it lately, but a few years ago, LabX was THE site for used lab and electronic test equipment sales, www.labx.com

If you had enough to make worth their while, I suspect Hoff Hilk's online auctions could get more for lab equipment than eBay...they sure do manage that trick on machine tools anyway.

Looks like a good site Don,we have tons of stuff we didn't throw away years ago that is sometimes actually worth something now:D

Who wodda thought that 8x chart recorder rolls would be worth something other than scratch paper.

wierdscience
07-10-2006, 09:29 PM
"Absolute vaccum pump" ? While probably not possible on Earth, I would have bought one. They make great A/C vacuums. :D

:eek:

Haha...you would have loved those pumps,kind of a "turbo charged" vaccum pump.They had a 1/3hp ring compressor sucking on the exhaust side of a vaccum pump,all built in one neat little package including gauges/filters and electricals.

The Emerson dealer tried to steal them,he offered us $25 a piece:mad:I was born at night,but it wasn't lastnight.He kept calling back every couple weeks to find out "if we still wanted to unload them".I never told him we sold them for $375 a pop,just kept leading him on until he gave up:D