PDA

View Full Version : Tommy Gate

dhammer
07-13-2006, 12:47 AM
I had a rare occurance today.

I just bought a used "Tommy Gate" from a nearby machine shop owner and installed it in my GMC one ton. I was assured by the seller that the lift worked perfectly.. after a bit of welding, bolting etc. I hooked the lift to a battery and pressed the button.. nothing... nada. I removed the cover on the lift to expose the guts and discovered mice had chewed the wires to the solenoid. To access the solenoid I needed to lower the endgate but couldn't lower the endgate without the solenoid working. what to do?

I called Tommy Gate's toll free number and a REAL LIVE receptionist answered . She put me through to a REAL LIVE service tech who answered my questions. I am still in shock at the excellent service I received.. unfortunately a rare thing these days

Evan
07-13-2006, 12:55 AM
Something similar happened to me a while ago when I needed to have my Nikon camera repaired. I called the Canadian service number in Vancouver and on the second ring an actual person answered the phone. I asked for the service department and was told that this is it. I asked to speak to the service manager because I thought the problem should be covered under warranty even though the camera was just off warranty and he told me " I am the service manager, may I help you?"

I explained the problem and he agreed that even though the warranty had expired a month ago they wouldn't charge me the $150 for the zoom drive. I sent the camera in and had it back fixed within a week.

IOWOLF
07-13-2006, 02:14 PM
Dhammer, Eagle lift gates are well built also.Something you didn't know the 2 are built less than 100 miles from each other

Wayne02
07-13-2006, 06:02 PM
Something similar happened to me a while ago when I needed to have my Nikon camera repaired.
I think we may have the same Nikon camera - coolpix 5400? How long did yours last before the zoom gave out?

Evan
07-13-2006, 07:23 PM
I have the Coolpix 4300. It lasted about 13 months. After that we have been very careful about removing the lens cap before turning it on. It only finds out you have left the cap on by trying to extend the lens until it is stopped by the cap. Poor design and likely was what fried the zoom controller. Other than that it is an excellent camera and about the best I have seen for macro shots.

dhammer
07-14-2006, 12:07 AM
Dhammer, Eagle lift gates are well built also.Something you didn't know the 2 are built less than 100 miles from each other

Wolf,

I didn't know that and I don't doubt that Eagle lift gates are well made. I haven't used this Tommy Gate enough to testify as to it's quality design or construction but I am impressed with the fact that the company has real live people who answer the telephone, not to mention the fact that they are in the USA.. Iowa.

IOWOLF
07-14-2006, 07:07 AM
Eagle lift is a sub company of Omaha Standard of Council Bluffs, Iowa