PDA

View Full Version : Another project in the offing?

BobWarfield
07-13-2006, 01:37 AM
Having just finished writing up the vise stop note, I ambled over to check on my eBay sniper to see what the nets had gathered for me today. Looks like we caught a big one, or as they said on Jaws, "We're going to need a bigger boat!"

I am now the proud owner of eBay item #190005519867. It is an Enerpac 50ton hydraulic cylinder with 6" stroke. I've had in the back of my mind for some time that I would like to build a hydraulic press. I'm a big step closer having nabbed a cylinder. A 10,000 psi pump will be the next target. This will all have to wait in a corner of the shop a bit until I'm ready to tackle it, but I'm quite interested in the concept. I have always remembered David Coffer's idea expressed on this board that one should set up the pump with quick disconnects enabling a variety of hydraulic machines to be powered from it. A tubing bender comes to mind as a more advanced project assuming the press comes off well.

This is probably a next year event, as I have a number of other goodies ahead of it in the queue.

Best,

BW

Buckshot
07-16-2006, 07:40 AM
.............I have been toying around with the idea of building an aluminum can crusher. Make nice tidy 'very' compact aluminum bricks maybe 1'x8"x8" or so? I have a 16 hp vertical shaft B&S as a start :-)

Rick

BobWarfield
07-16-2006, 12:53 PM
These fellas are looking to build their own chip compactor:

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21433&highlight=chip+compactor

It's an interesting project. I may play around with one someday, but need a press first. I've got a good article on building on in the back of an HSM, and have my eyes peeled on the web as well. Doesn't look too hard. I just have the usual 10 or 20 other things to get done first. Probably make a grinder pedestal for my new Harbor Fright tool grinder beforehand, for example.

Best,

BW