PDA

View Full Version : Visual Cadd?

torker
07-14-2006, 01:20 AM
Is anyone here using it?
I just got a free copy from my brother in law.
Looks like a pretty darn handy tool!
Russ

John Stevenson
07-14-2006, 02:50 AM
It was a follow on from the old Generic CAD.
Generic CAD was an old DOS program, very good, very fast and in it's day even though it was a bit obscure it was the best.

It's main claim to fame was the use of two letter shortcuts on the command line. Once you had learnt these you could switch the menu's off and just have a full screen for drawing which was a plus in the days of 14" monitors.

Autodesk bought them out and promised to develop this along side Ought to CAD.
First thing they did was to bring an upgrade out that was full of bugs.
Second thing they did was to offer the users an upgrade path to Ought to CAD.
Third thing they did was to close it down.

Visual CADD to get back on topic is the old Generic CADD that was bought from Autodesk and ported over to windows.

It still works in the same way, two letter short cuts but has spawned off floating toolbars etc that clutter the screen.

It never really caught on after being ported to windows as it was just another windows CAD program and there are literally hundreds out there.

Possibly because of the licensing / sale arrangement some of the better parts of Generic CADD never made it over like the superior hatching that the DOS program had which again made it a follower and not a leader.

A pity really as it could have been a better program but unfortunately programs need users to fund development and it's more about marketing that the actual program.

This is why Autodesk is where it is today, not because it's a godd CAD program but because they got the marketing right.

torker
07-14-2006, 07:10 AM
Sir John, Thanks for your time!
I've never used any kind of CADD program (still in the paper/crayon era) and I was hoping there'd be someone around here who could steer me in the right direction if I get stuck in the future.
Going to have to read the dikkins out of the manual here in the next while.
Geez...digital calipers, a DRO, now Visual Cadd....that's gotta be putting me into what....the early seventies maybe? Momma would have been so proud :D
Russ

LES A W HARRIS
07-14-2006, 09:49 AM
Torker,
Yes, I did Generic thru version 6.0, the print drivers were fantastic. With windows and Visual Cadd the print drivers went, should be able to print "B" size on my Panasonic DMP, but it will not only legal. Used to print 100 inch long helicopter shafts on dot matrix, acurate within 0.010", width, (dia's) within 0.003". Visual cadd drivers dont seem to do as well, but up to legal on ink jet does great.

The speed of drawing is in the Mnenomic two letter codes,(which you have to learn) type with left hand, mouse with right, otherwise use menus which is no where near as fast, but is usefull for the less used commands.You can print off a list of commands by letter codes or by function.

Eg,[A SINGLE LINE] L1,(PROMPS FOR STARTING POINT "X Y" ) 3.617,2.0 ENTER (PROMPTS FOR END POINT "X Y") 5.617, 2.0 ENTER. draws a line 2.00" long.
Dimension commands, arrow types, line widths, displays, layers, copy, moves and on and on. It imports/exports to DWG & DXF.

I did a load of gear forms, calculate X Y points in Quattro Pro or that 'orrible alternative, enter points, circular arcs for pretty damm close, or spline it on one side, mirrow (MI command) about C/L add root arc, (FI fillet) (FR fillet radius set command) between flank and root, (RC radial copy) (prompts for number of instances, walla!
A very good 2D Cadd IMHO.

SCREENSHOT:
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e97/CURVIC9/GEARS06/92T20PAGEAR01.jpg

How may I be of assistance?

Then came solid works............

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e97/CURVIC9/GEARS06/105d3473f01.jpg

torker
07-31-2006, 07:38 PM
Les....arrrggghhh....I'd forgotten all about this post.
Finally got the program installed.
Been fooling around trying to draw a gear form for three days now and couldn't get it.
For some reason the gear form didn't show on here before....only the Solid works pic.
You give the info I was looking for!
Thanks!
I'll have to give it another go.
Russ

BillH
07-31-2006, 08:39 PM
Les, that is a beutiful gear. After doing the tutorials, I tried doing some of my own projects in solidworks, I am finding out that I should redo the tutorials, lol.
Well right now Im about to design a chip pan for my lathe, I'll let solidworks do the miter cut calculations for me!

lane
07-31-2006, 09:13 PM
This is all great if you understand it .But is their a cheep drawind program $100.00 or less for a complete Idiot like me. A computer Dummy. I have a Turbo cad version 11 and cant do the engeering I wont to do with it .Can some one help

Mortimerex
08-06-2006, 01:09 AM
I havent tried Visual Cad tho I have used just about every other 2d cad out there. Alot of jobs I worked just using 2d AutoCAD because its standard in a lot of ways and can just crank out the drawings in seconds (once set up).

Couple of years ago I bought Autodesk Inventor r5 (for more money than I'm willing to admit) but kept going back to AutoCAD or Mechanical Desktop because Inventor just seemed to take so long and wasn't 3d compatible with anything else ( it wouldnt accept .sat, iges, or any other format of 3d models for some odd reason). Finally got it set up so I can crank out 3d as fast as Autocad 2d now -so for new designs I always use Inventor. Still a pain about compatibility. Maybe now that Inventor is at R10 some of its supposed import features actually work. But I really don't feel like spending several thousand dollars to find out they still don't. :mad:

Heres something for all CAD users. I was at a computer show this spring and bought Autodesk mechanical library material spec and partspec, has hundreds of thousands of standard devices gears, etc from many manufacturers. It was listed for $4 but I bought it for $2 cause the guy wanted to get rid of it. It was still in the original wrapper, the guy never even opened the box. You might be able to pick up something alot better than Visual Cad for a few bucks at a local computer show if you are lucky.

littlelocos
08-06-2006, 02:33 PM
Russ,
As an AutoDesk - Generic CADD orphan, I "upgraded" to Visual CADD after it was resurected by a third party. The program changed hands several times before being purchased by IMSI (the TurboCAD folks). I was fortunate enough to upgrade to TurboCAD Pro before IMSI abandonned Visual CADD, pawning it off to another third party.

This said, it is a good program for 2D CADD and I retain a copy on my PC for translating old Generic CADD files to TurboCAD. I did a lot of work with it, designing model locomotives and miniature IC engines.

BTW, If you are interested, TurboCAD has a free (no strings attached, no commercials scrolling, etc.) version downloadable from their website. This is TurboCAD LE or learning edition. Their hope is that you will some day upgrade to the full-blown packages; however, even if you don't, you can still use the LE program for free.

Hopefully this is of some use to you,
Todd