PDA

View Full Version : Hoping I got lucky, we'll see.



BadDog
07-14-2006, 04:03 AM
I was at a used tooling dealer today who gets lots of old stuff from big companies cleaning out. I found a box FULL of quick change tooling with Albrecht chucks, some very neet boring heads, and a pile of collet holders with collets. Must have come out of some 40 odd tool CNC machine. But someone had put them all in a plastic tray, then (apparently) let water collect in the pan. Lost of rust, some really bad, some superficial. 80 lbs all together and I got it for scrap price at $6.80. I figure if I can save any of it I’m in good shape.

Chucks are soaking in penetrating oil, but I’m thinking of setting up a 6 gallon bucket for electrolytic rust removal. I doubt they will turn out all sexy like they should be, but I expect they’ll be very usable in my new turret and other places. Looks like one 1/8”, one 1/4”, three 3/8”, and maybe a 1/2” Albrecht along with a single 3/8 Superchuck should be able to work again along with all the holders/collets and maybe the boring bars and some stuff I don’t recognize. Some that were at the bottom are in terrible shape, but I think it’s all just on the surface with minimal pitting that should not affect use after electrolytic cleaning. We’ll see, but for $6.80 it’s worth it just for all the tool steel stock I can get out of the quick change arbors if nothing else.

Also got 2 boxes of US made commercial grade mandrels and arbors totaling well over 100 lbs. Quite a selection of brass and steel spiral split mandrels with a whole range of expanding arbors as well as at least 20 lbs of ground and polished solid arbors from small to about 3/4” or more (still have to sort and go through) by 1/64ths. I’m sure some are missing, but I’ve got at least 40 or so and may be able to find more next time I go up there. Oh, and these are prefect with no rust. There are also several other styles of expanding mandrels such as 10 or so with dedicated arbors and straight slits etc.

BadDog
07-14-2006, 04:37 AM
BTW, I finally found something I recalled being discussed but couldn't remember the name (makes searching more difficult). It was Evaporust. I'm wondering how well it will work on these chucks and such with all the inner workings. In any case, the results reported in this (http://www.homeshopmachinist.net/bbs/showthread.php?t=11212&highlight=Evaporust) thread are impressive. Too bad no local distributors show up, maybe worth a mail order?

mbatarga
07-14-2006, 09:46 AM
Hey, that link refers to my post on the Evapo-Rust product! YES - it does work, and worth what little trouble it might be to order some and pay for shipping.

LarryinLV
07-14-2006, 10:01 AM
Soak your rusty pieces in Automatic Transmission Fluid (the red stuff) overnight, or for a couple of days. It is highly detergent and usually does a pretty good job. Use a high speed wire brush to polish the machined surfaces so you don't lose to much metal.

Great deal; I'm envious

Larry

Rex
07-14-2006, 01:57 PM
Spend some of the money you saved on 5 gallons of evaporust.
For that matter, you'd be amazed what you can cover with a gallon.
I use a 36" long plastic "trough" from the outdoor section of Home depot
I can get nearly an entire Atlas 618 in there, tooling and all, covered with one gallon.

Clean all that oil off the parts you already have soaking. Evaporust will work through a little oil, but the chemical doesn't last as long.
You don't need to disassemble anything unless it's packed with grease.
Drop all you can into the Evaporust for a couple of days.
Behold the amazing results.

BadDog
07-14-2006, 02:03 PM
Yeah, already having it in oil was worrying me a bit about that course of action. I guess I should probably soak it in lacquer thinner or something to remove the oil before going in the Evaporust, assuming I don't decide to go the electrolysis route instead. Or maybe some brake cleaner? Hmm...

pcarpenter
07-14-2006, 02:15 PM
In looking at the web site, Evaporust indicates it is water based.

That being the case, I can highly recommend the Castrol purple degreaser which is a water-based mildly caustic solution. You end up with water rinsed parts that are degreased. Spray on, soak a bit, hose off. No oily film left by some degreasers, so apply your own when it makes sense, or in this case, into the deruster. This is far cheaper and less noxious than lacquer thinner etc. and does a better job of cleaning.

I did find with several big pieces of machinery, that the Castrol degreaser would loosen or remove some over-applied paint. I found that it exposed the several coats of paint underneath while only removing the last one....probably something specific to that paint.

In cleaning my Bridgeport mill, it helped remove the "repaint" while leaving the original stuff intact, getting me to a good base for the new paint.

good luck
paul