PDA

View Full Version : well lathe move and ouch

Alistair Hosie
07-16-2006, 03:38 PM
I moved my Britan lathe today had it on a roller forgot that there was a space between both bases and it came down on my toe all 3/4 ton of it broke to pieces blood all over the place ouch it is louping. My son thought I was doing a laurel and hardy sketch and laughed till he saw the blood straight to the emergency room for treatment going back tomorrow so if you move things beware regardsAListair

tattoomike68
07-16-2006, 03:39 PM
Oh no! sorry to hear that. :(

DancingBear
07-16-2006, 03:43 PM
I moved my Britan lathe today had it on a roller forgot that there was a space between both bases and it came down on my toe all 3/4 ton of it broke to pieces blood all over the place ouch it is louping. My son thought I was doing a laurel and hardy sketch and laughed till he saw the blood straight to the emergency room for treatment going back tomorrow so if you move things beware regardsAListair

OUCH! Sorry to hear you hurt yourself, hope it heals up quickly and well.

I've been contemplating steel-toed shoes for awhile, guess this is another vote in favor...:(

Walt

Alistair Hosie
07-16-2006, 03:50 PM
I bought a new pair recently and never wore them guess who's got the brains in my family:DAlitair

rockrat
07-16-2006, 03:57 PM
Hope that you get that foot repaired ok. As for the lathe, sounds like you will have some work when you get back.

As for the lathe, any chance of a fix?

Good luck
rock-

cybor462
07-16-2006, 03:59 PM
You may be lucky you did not have the steel toes on. I hear of some that will do more damage like cut off toes if struck in the right place on the plate. I use to be a heavy equipment mechanic and had a co worker lose two toes when a large hydraulic cylinder fell after the cable snapped and hit the steel toe metal plate in the shoe but it ripped through the leather holding it in place and took off 2 toes.

His whole foot was broken in many places but he may have saved the toes if the plate was not there..

Hope you heal quickly.

Don't take too many goofy pills. You might end up liking them too much.:rolleyes:

Wareagle
07-16-2006, 04:13 PM
Damn, that's hurts just thinking about it! Sorry to hear that you were hurt.

I wear steel toed boots most of the time, and they have saved me from considerable pain numerous times in the past. I have heard of people losing toes and stuff from them being crushed, but I figure that if something has enough force to cut off toes with the 'steel toe', most likely the toes are going to be gone anyway. Most of the things that I deal with aren't that heavy, so there probably is little risk involved with a steel toe plate being crushed.

It sounds like it is time for some designing and planning for a future project(s). Hope that you heal up real soon!

DancingBear
07-16-2006, 04:21 PM
Damn, that's hurts just thinking about it! Sorry to hear that you were hurt.

I wear steel toed boots most of the time, and they have saved me from considerable pain numerous times in the past. I have heard of people losing toes and stuff from them being crushed, but I figure that if something has enough force to cut off toes with the 'steel toe', most likely the toes are going to be gone anyway. Most of the things that I deal with aren't that heavy, so there probably is little risk involved with a steel toe plate being crushed.

It sounds like it is time for some designing and planning for a future project(s). Hope that you heal up real soon!

Mythbusters covered that one a few years ago, their conclusion was that it was possible to have an item glance off the steel and slide towards the ankle, amputating more foot than would have happened without the steel toe, but only with weights far exceeding the ANSI rating anyway. IIRC they dropped 400 pounds 6 feet onto the boot, and they had to add a sharp edge to the weight to get the 'glance off the steel' effect. I'd say you're screwed either way in a case like that.

Walt

Peter N
07-16-2006, 04:25 PM
Looking on the bright side, at least you won't have to worry about cold toes sticking out from a cast as it's still summer:D

Get well soon

Peter

John Stevenson
07-16-2006, 04:29 PM
Clumsey bugger.

doctor demo
07-16-2006, 04:36 PM
hi alistair,
hope you get better soon!
i stupidly dropped a fork lift fork on my foot in march, feared taking off my boot to look at possible damage i was afraid i would'nt be able to get it back on to get home . long story short version , had piece of impailed toe nail removed and type of ingrown toenail procedure done 2 weeks ago [ finaly convinced doctor ] i needed something more than foot soaks twice a day!
now just a stiff knuckle but no more pain, wonder how long it would have taken for nail to emerge from botom side of toe if i could have managed to let it grow in that direction [would have passed out from pain] but would have liked to see look on doc's face [doctors hate i told you so's ]but i guess we all hate i told you so's .
all the best and have a speedy recovery!
stwve

billr
07-16-2006, 04:43 PM
good afternoon.

i have spent most of my life working around heavy things. the way of heavy things is that they adhere really seriously to the laws of gravity.

i iwll confess that as i have gotten older, i occasionally will go to my shop with a pair of boat shoes on, if i am going to be around anything that weighs more than a pound or two i will wear my [steel-toed] boots. i have broken a few toes and it hurts and there ain't anything that makes it better. drugs put a dent in the feeling, but they put an equal if not greater dent in your reflexes and thinking.

it is 98* here [heat index 103] here and those boots are hot. it is tempting. but i think i would rather have sweaty feet than broken [or worse] toes.

i hope you feel better.

peace.
billr

John Stevenson
07-16-2006, 05:56 PM
Being involved with heavy vehicles and machinery all my life I have always worn safety boots.
Can't say for sure if they have ever saved me serious injury but I have got that used to them I feel naked without them.

I was moving a few bricks at home recently and had to go and put them on as I felt uncomfortable handling just ordinary bricks in soft shoes.
Nothing happened but I felt uncomfortable.

BadDog
07-16-2006, 06:00 PM
So sorry to hear of the injury. I hope things go well with it, good luck!

Frank Ford
07-16-2006, 06:01 PM
Alistair -

Yowch, sorry to hear of your painful injury!

Take care of that hoof, and do what the medics tell you - we don't heal automatically at our age like we once did, paticularly when the injury is so far from the ol' blood pump. Late last year I caught a spiral fracture of my fibula, and even yet my edema is somewhat swollen and my lividity is still sorta black-and-blue. . .

laddy
07-16-2006, 06:31 PM
Hey,
If you were in the States I would tell you to call a ToW Truck (toe Truck) or buy some Fritos ( free toes). Hope you fell better, that had to hurt! Fred

japcas
07-16-2006, 06:53 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your misfortune Alistair. Hope you get well soon. As for the steel toe boots, I have to wear them every day at work so I have gotten used to them. I guess if under enough weight, the steel toe could cut your toe off, but without them, the toe is just going to get mashed off. For weights within the rating of the boot, probably no foot damage would happen, with out them on though, even 5 pounds would probably hurt.

smagovic
07-16-2006, 07:39 PM
OUCH! Sorry to hear you hurt yourself, hope it heals up quickly and well.

I've been contemplating steel-toed shoes for awhile, guess this is another vote in favor...:(

Walt
Actually, steel toes would not much help you in this case. It would make things much worse. The steel would cave in under such a weight and stay that way. It would be more difficult to remove the shoes. Steel toes are good perhaps for a sheet plywood, but I would not want to find out. The most effective way to avoid injuries is to THINK! vic

Alan in Oz
07-16-2006, 08:09 PM
Alistair,
You need a pair of these, hope you get better soon.

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k139/Alan_045/steelcaps3.jpg

miker
07-16-2006, 08:20 PM
Alistair, Just try to avoid getting "Toe Main Poisoning". I here it is harder to cure than "Knee Monia" in senior people.:)

A speedy recovery!!

Rgds

sasquatch
07-16-2006, 09:12 PM
Alistair,,, Ok,, here,s your BIG chance now...(don,t blow it),,Hobble around saying you are in just terrible pain, (you probably are), :rolleyes: Then tell the wife the doc said you have to stay off your feet and get plenty of rest!
That way you can get waited on like royalty,, ..breakfast in bed,, lots of pampering etc. Just think if you go at that ,, you won,t have to do the dishes, vacumning, dusting, washing , ironing, scrubbing out the bathroom,
etc, etc. For maybe two weeks if you,re good at it!!! (she will catch on),,
so lie in bed with a cool brew,, and watch Bennie Hill movies!!
They say laughter is a good healer,, Sorry to hear about your injury, keep the foot up, let us know how you are healing up!
Maybe we could take up a collection, and hire a full time scantily clad cute little blonde nurse,..bet that would distract from the pain for a while!!!:D
Get healed up soon,, Ray in N. Ont.

john hobdeclipe
07-16-2006, 09:32 PM
Alistair,

All the discussions we've had on this bbs concerning close calls, moving machinery, moving lathes, lifting, being careful, etc., etc. and this is what you've learned? Dontchya read this stuff?

Honest, I hate to hear of this...Hope you get healed up soon.

Follow sasquatch's advice, get pampered a bit, get plenty of rest, and you'll be back on what's left of your feet in no time! :D

matador
07-16-2006, 09:59 PM
Hope you didn't damage the lathe,my scots friend:D.
Take care of that foot,Alistair.Keep it clean and rest,we don't want to see you end up in a wheelchair.regards from the cold side of the globe.

abn
07-17-2006, 12:01 AM
Matador beat me to it...

I hope you get well soon with no complications!

speedy
07-17-2006, 07:56 AM
No, you don`t want to end up in a wheelchair Alistair, not permanently anyway. Although they have a lot to commend them, having the use of your lower limbs is the better option.
The other night, sitting in my lounge, I decided to go out to the garage.
Using my crutches I stood up and set off to the shed... but my right leg woudn`t move? I thought "what goes on here?" then looked down to see that I had my r.h crutch , with most of my weight on it, on my foot!:D It can be amusing with no feeling in your limbs but at times the joke wears a bit thin.
I hope that you have a full recovery mate.

fraker
07-17-2006, 08:37 AM
Alistair.
Here's hoping your back on your feet and making chips again A.S.A.P.
All the best.
Bill

lynnl
07-17-2006, 11:48 AM
Sorry to hear this Alistair. Hope the pain subsides quickly and it mends well.

Say, you're not just kidding about this are you?

(Note: you gotta watch Alistair closely. Some will probably remember a few years back when he led us on with a story about burning down a good portion of his lathe bed with a O-A torch. :D I still get a laugh out of that. Probably one of the best stories told here.)

As for the safety toed shoes - my dad lost 2 or 3 toes in safety shoes working at Reynolds Aluminum. Don't remember now whether it was an Alum. ingot or a piece of equipment, but was several K lbs. In his case the shoes were irrelevant.

Evan
07-17-2006, 12:19 PM
Take care Alistair. Perhaps you could give us a bit more information? Which one does it resemble?

http://vts.bc.ca/pics/toes.jpg

Wareagle
07-17-2006, 12:27 PM
Evan, some of us might be trying to eat! :D

lynnl
07-17-2006, 01:22 PM
That's the second most disgusting picture he's ever posted.

...almost as bad as that ugly man with no shirt he once posted.

Wirecutter
07-17-2006, 01:31 PM
Well, back in March I dropped a 7 lb board on my big toe, and now it looks like D-3.

Geez Evan - is that your toe? It looks like the same one in many of the photos, and you're just odd enough to document the progression of such an injury. :D

Alstair - joking aside, I hope you have a speedy recovery with the fewest possible complications. Recent experience has taught me the surprizing amount of discomfort that can result from even the most trivial toe smash injuries. I wouldn't wish it on any friend.

-Mark

(somehow my usual sig line doesn't seem appropriate) :D

Evan
07-17-2006, 01:34 PM
almost as bad as that ugly man with no shirt he once posted.

This guy? :D

http://vts.bc.ca/pics/trog1.jpg

John Stevenson
07-17-2006, 01:44 PM
No the other guy was uglier.

lynnl
07-17-2006, 01:47 PM
Nah.. the one I'm recalling was lots uglier'n that. Older, grayer beard. Not quite as intelligent looking... :D

Wareagle
07-17-2006, 01:55 PM
sounds like my boss :D

Evan
07-17-2006, 02:17 PM
Ah. You mean this guy. Here's a peek into the future... :D
http://vts.bc.ca/pics/om1.jpg

Alistair Hosie
07-17-2006, 06:05 PM
Evan isn't that a recent photo of Sir John of nottinghamastan:D and also
Maybe we could take up a collection, and hire a full time scantily clad cute little blonde nurse,..bet that would distract from the pain for a while!!!

I will be first to put up a contribution I have One and elevenpence halfpenny in my post office account all in gold I will let you have it all for an hour with her.

Millman
07-17-2006, 06:20 PM
That resembles Osama's sister, Eileen.

Evan
07-17-2006, 07:05 PM
Alistair,

One and elevenpence halfpenny will get you an hour with his wife:

http://vts.bc.ca/pics/rw1.jpg

Millman
07-17-2006, 07:09 PM
Damn, she's a cutie! .......Have the glasses on now....not as cute as I thought.

John Stevenson
07-17-2006, 07:23 PM
Alistair,

One and elevenpence halfpenny will get you an hour with his wife:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stevenson.engineers/lsteve/files/rw1.jpg

Actually my great aunt by marriage, twice removed.
Once from the Rose and Crown for fighting and once from the Young Liberals for farting out loud, [ I mean LOUD ]

Kindly soul but most importantly great Uncle Herman owns the TOS lathe works in Czechoslovakia.

miker
07-17-2006, 07:31 PM
Evan, I know you are good with computers but how did you hack into my Family History file?

Old Aunt would force her way out of the cellar for less than a Shilling!:)

Superhawk996
07-17-2006, 09:13 PM
Sorry to hear about the accident. Hope you're felling better soon!

Mcgyver
07-17-2006, 11:04 PM
Alistair, sorry passed by this thread earlier, OUCH. speedy recovery. Evan as my 7 year would say, 'that's sick & wrong!'

Gert
07-18-2006, 02:12 PM
Evan,
What have I done to you to deserve this ?

I have just spent the last half hour reading some of your posts to get a feeling as I don't read this board.

I know John spends a lot of time on here, too much in fact, but most of his posts come over as helpful although don't tell him that.

Yours come over as smug.

Whilst it's OK for the guys to take pot shots at each other, lets face it you should be grown up, innocent bystanders should be left out of this and you don't need to go this far to prove you are a total arsehole.

Gert.

John Stevenson
07-18-2006, 05:43 PM
Ooops,
No dinner tonight.................................

Evan
07-18-2006, 06:02 PM
Heh heh. My meaning was that is the wife of the old fellow that I posted. Now, if that picture really does resemble John (according to Alistair) then perhaps a snap of Gert would be illuminating?

Leigh
07-19-2006, 03:26 AM
Hi Alistair,

Very sorry to hear about your accident. Hope you mend soon :)

If I may suggest...

I always wear steel toe boots made by Red Wing. They're rated to support 2,500 pounds, so they provide a good margin of safety even with larger equipment.

john hobdeclipe
07-19-2006, 08:44 AM
Alistair,

Make good use of your time! While you're incapacitated, have someone come in and clean up that messy shop of yours. :D

Alistair Hosie
07-19-2006, 12:50 PM
The only thing messy in my workshop is my big toe and gert please dont think badly of Evan I am sure you misunderstood him no offense meant Alistair p s still say that old feller is a striking resemblence to his ludshup:D

John Stevenson
07-19-2006, 01:44 PM
Bollocks.
OK message too short Double bollocks.

Alistair Hosie
07-19-2006, 05:46 PM
I thought he was rather handsome quite majestic even regal. still bollocks it is.:D Alistair

Evan
07-19-2006, 06:22 PM
The word "vacant" comes to my mind. :D

To make it clear, the pic I posted of the old woman was not intended to somehow reflect on Gert. That didn't even occur to me. It was intended only in jest as the "wife" of the old man with the grey beard.

ulav8r
07-20-2006, 10:14 AM
Yep, don't go to dissing Gert. The only thing most of us know about her for sure is that she has bad taste in men!!!;) :eek:

Alistair Hosie
07-20-2006, 12:32 PM
or a kind kind heart to take his ludshup in and feed and wash for him :DAlistair