PDA

View Full Version : OT/China now owns MG

torker
07-19-2006, 03:02 AM
Just doesn't seem right but it'll be good to see the old name back on the road.
http://news.en.autos.sympatico.msn.ca/article.aspx?cp-documentid=669254
Russ

Millman
07-19-2006, 03:42 AM
Yeah, what's the name of the new plant they are opening in Oklahoma? Better get used to it.

Timleech
07-19-2006, 04:44 AM
Going by reports in the UK media, nothing serious has yet been signed as far as the proposed Oklahoma plant is concerned, & they're talking of about 350 UK employees to begin with. We'll see.

Tim

Ian B
07-19-2006, 06:04 AM
Wonder if they'll build a new MG Loadster...

Ian

John Stevenson
07-19-2006, 06:06 AM
'Bout time they brought a three tonner out :D

snowman
07-19-2006, 10:23 AM
I thought they had owned MG for quite a while.

So is Lucas electric now a chinese company too? Is it even humid enough in China for an MG's electrical system to work?

My old MG had wires for the fuel pump run alongside the outside of the car on the passenger side. I was in the drivethru at a restraunt when the wire decided to short out and burn up, so I had to make a quick fix. Yes, I had a big spool of wire in that car...you are crazy not to!

jkilroy
07-19-2006, 11:03 AM
Now that they have some money, its time they start making bad investments like everyone else.

Wareagle
07-19-2006, 07:35 PM
It's going to be interesting to see how all of this unfolds! I kind-of wonder what the public reception is going to be...

Magic9r
07-19-2006, 07:52 PM
It'll be interesting to see what they do!
It would be nice to see some modern sports cars with styling cues from the MG classics, they could sell boatloads if the bean-counters let them play.
Rover nee-Leyland already tried nailing an MG badge to any old pile of dung and clearly proved;
(a) some people will buy anything with an MG badge.
and
(b) you can't polish a turd.

Wareagle
07-19-2006, 07:57 PM
you can't polish a turd.
Actually you can! But a shiny turd is still a turd! :D

wierdscience
07-19-2006, 08:21 PM
Can the Chinese take a crappy car and make it even more craptacular,that is the real question.

As for Lucas,will someone please burn the factory down and save the world from evil once and for all?:D

John Stevenson
07-19-2006, 08:33 PM
Weird,
You are going to have to do this.
Lucas was split off some years ago. The Aerospace division was incorporated into Airbus and the Automotive side was sold of to some poor unsuspecting chump, The USA :D

You now own Lucas.

Evan
07-19-2006, 08:34 PM
Well, I am interested to see what they come up with. I had two Morris Minuses, an MGA and my wife and I had a 67 MGB as a daily driver early in our marriage. My wife (and I ) still wish we still had that car. We had a custom hard top for it. I have a photo somewhere. Maybe I will look it up but that could waste a couple of hours looking through old pictures. Maybe not.

torker
07-19-2006, 08:36 PM
more craptacular

:D
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! LMAO :D
Words like that...you would fit in around my home town a little too well.
They'd prolly make you the mayor :D

wierdscience
07-19-2006, 09:02 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! LMAO :D
Words like that...you would fit in around my home town a little too well.
They'd prolly make you the mayor :D

F---ing Lucas crap,they were/are the scourge of the automotive industry.

Voltage regulators,the only difference between a Lucas voltage reg and a toaster oven are the 15 extra wires on the reg,other than that they make fabulous toast,once.

"Positive earth",not anymore,I just trash canned the voltage reg and swaped cables so kiss my arse prependicular Mr Lucas:D

Possibly the most usless waste of time I ever witnessed was a girl I knew who had a MG rag top and actually bothered to lock the doors.This action was silly for two reasons-
#1 Breaking in requires nothing more than a sharp pen knife.
and #2 Why would anybody want to steel that POS car?If they were desperate and needed a lift to the hospital they wouldn't make it.

And finally,someone tried to sell me an MG once,I asked them where was the one for the other foot:D

matador
07-20-2006, 05:23 AM
Lucas weren't known as "the prince of darkness" for nothing:D.
As for "craptacular" chinese cars,give 'em 10 years,and they will be flooding the world.By 2030,china is forecast to be the world's 3rd biggest car market.
Luckily,i will probably be pushing up daisies by then:D.

Evan
07-20-2006, 10:05 AM
Why do Jaguars have two seats?

One for the driver and one for the mechanic.

BillH
07-20-2006, 03:39 PM
Why do Jaguars have two seats?

One for the driver and one for the mechanic.
When I worked at a gas station in High School, the mechanics worst nightmare there was to work on a Jaguar engine. They would have to nearly dissasemble the entire front end of the car just to get to the engine to work on. I would think it would be much quicker to just slice the front third off the car to work on the engine and just weld it back together when your finished.

DanR
07-21-2006, 07:36 PM
Seems to me that they will have to make major modifications.

The MG's I was familiar with in high school usually pulled into the then non-self service gas stations and the drivers would say, "Fill her up with oil and check the gas!". Seems with the high cost of oil, they would need to change something.

Magic9r
07-24-2006, 02:34 PM
DanR, MG's have changed somewhat, the last one they did allowed you to check the oil & top it up but the dealer had to drop the engine out for a major service - it's progress you know, you'll not be allowed under the hood at all sometime soon,
N ick

Timleech
07-24-2006, 02:43 PM
DanR, MG's have changed somewhat, the last one they did allowed you to check the oil & top it up but the dealer had to drop the engine out for a major service - it's progress you know, you'll not be allowed under the hood at all sometime soon,
N ick

I was chatting 25 years ago to a bloke who worked for Ford UK, he had been involved in a project to investigate a 'no maintenance' car engine. They wanted it to last the lifetime of the rest of the vehicle without being touched.
Anyone like to guess what the biggest single stumbling block was?? (as related to me)

Tim

Evan
07-24-2006, 02:57 PM
Anyone like to guess what the biggest single stumbling block was??

I would guess that nobody had a freekin clue how to achieve it. It's easy to say things that can't be done in real life.

The worst thing about designing such an engine is that it would then of necessity take advantage of the zero maintenance objective to make maintenance impossible. Any failure, and they would happen, would then require a full engine replacement.

Timleech
07-24-2006, 04:04 PM
I would guess that nobody had a freekin clue how to achieve it. It's easy to say things that can't be done in real life.

The worst thing about designing such an engine is that it would then of necessity take advantage of the zero maintenance objective to make maintenance impossible. Any failure, and they would happen, would then require a full engine replacement.

OK, you don't want to guess then??

Tim

aboard_epsilon
07-24-2006, 04:08 PM
biggest stumbling block ..is them loosing cash on spares

it's just cost me £500 in parts just to overhaul an mg-rover box and engine ..most of the cost was gaskets ..
typical prices
rear crankshaft oil seal £33
sump gasket £30

the manufacturers would go out of business ...they make more on the after market spares than the original spares

all the best.mark

dicks42000
07-24-2006, 11:26 PM
Evan, magic9er & all;
What strange quirk of a salesmans imagination would ever cause anyone to say a machine is 0 maintenance....? Kill them off Before they reproduce....please. (OK so I'm extreme.)
Modern cars are so difficult to work on & expensive to repair, they make V-12 Jags look OK....Computerized, plastic, one piece assemblies, no bumpers....on & on I could rant.
If manufacturers want to sell maintenance people like me a new vehicle, why can't/ won't they make one that is easyish to work on. (Aka a Grumman van or ugly Checker Marathon....)
Evan will appreciate this...Why can some aircraft home-builders engineer a quick engine change system that will allow changing out a 6 cylinder Continental or Lycoming in an 8 hr. day or less. Try that with your Chevy Celebrity or Dodge mini-van....(Biggest N. American POS made....!!!)
Thanks;
Rick

Wareagle
07-25-2006, 12:19 AM
What strange quirk of a salesmans imagination would ever cause anyone to say a machine is 0 maintenance....?

Well, the new cars are ALMOST '0' maintainence. You don't fix'em, you throw them away! Or, let them go south of the border :D

wierdscience
07-25-2006, 01:17 AM
Wasn't there a new Benz product that featured among other things,no oil fill hole,no dipstick and no drain plug?Seems all the oily stuff needed a dealer to do.
I fully expect to see a plastic engine like Weedeater went to,prolly be a POS too.

Evan
07-25-2006, 02:32 AM
Why can some aircraft home-builders engineer a quick engine change system that will allow changing out a 6 cylinder Continental or Lycoming in an 8 hr. day or less.
Back in the seventies I put a new clutch in my Volkwagen 1500S squareback. It meant pulling the engine to get at it. That isn't as bad as it sounds, it took me all of about three hours start to finish.

Oh yeah, on my Land Rover the transmission can be pulled from the top. I did it once to fix a rear main seal. Take off the roof with ten bolts, pull out the seats and seat box, remove the floor panels with dzus fasteners and there it is. Pull it out with an engine hoist.

Timleech
07-25-2006, 04:25 AM
No-one seems to want to hazard a guess.
It was the fan belt.
Other than that, they reckoned it was do-able.
I don't know what mileage they were working on, but bear in mind that 25 years ago, in UK driving conditions, a car which lasted 100,000 miles was reckoned to have done well. Now, with improved engineering & changed driving habits, 200,000 is quite normal.

Tim

aboard_epsilon
07-25-2006, 09:10 AM
Back in the seventies I put a new clutch in my Volkwagen 1500S squareback. It meant pulling the engine to get at it. That isn't as bad as it sounds, it took me all of about three hours start to finish.

Oh yeah, on my Land Rover the transmission can be pulled from the top. I did it once to fix a rear main seal. Take off the roof with ten bolts, pull out the seats and seat box, remove the floor panels with dzus fasteners and there it is. Pull it out with an engine hoist.

I've owned a land rover
worst car I ever had for working on .

The parts are expensive and heftily built....but yet only last as long as a normal car...and that's when not used off road.

Everything is bolted up on top of everything else and in the way.and has a vast amount of nuts and bolts that you need two persons to undo.

You talk about removing the seats like it was easy ..NOT
and not after a few years of all that electrolytic corrosion between the aluminium and steel.

The car I have now is more or less the same...things bolted on top of other stuff ..the British seam to like doing that

As well as ..instead of redesigning engines from scratch ...they modify existing ones ...a three main bearing push rod engine (b-series) ...becomes a five main bearing twin cam engine 35 years later (t-series)

and the five main bearings mean there is less meat on the big ends ...
like mine so after 68,000 miles by previous old man...you get this

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v190/aboard_epsilon/rover%20420/paintedrod.jpg

the best car i had for user maintenance was a ford sierra.

Evan
07-25-2006, 10:43 AM
I've been using my Series II 88 Rover for for 30 years and it was 17 years old when I bought it. The engine has never been rebuilt or other significant maintenance performed other than the usual, plugs, adjust tappets once per decade etc. A little nevr seize on the bolts goes a long way in preventing any corrosion.

aboard_epsilon
07-25-2006, 12:11 PM
Hi Evan,
in your capable hands your land rover is capable of surviving amnother 30 years.

all the best..mark

Evan
07-25-2006, 12:54 PM
I forgot to mention that there was nothing wrong with the rear main seal. The *&$#@ oil line to the gauge runs just over the bell housing and had developed a leak. It drenched the clutch. Since I had the seal I put it in anyway. Funny thing I discovered when I got the clutch out, a 9" chevy six clutch is a perfect replacement.