PDA

View Full Version : George Hodge

George Hodge
07-19-2006, 10:45 PM
I had a tube of silicone caulk in an old caulking gun for several years,needed it several days ago,it was solid.Tossed it on the bench and later peeled the cardboard cover off.A nice 1-1/2inch slug of silicone,about 7inches long.My belt grinder was full of aluminum dust and I held the silicon slug against it for a few seconds and hey,its clean.Worked fine on the wood belt sander too.

Evan
07-19-2006, 10:48 PM
And I thought this was going to be all about you. :D

Wareagle
07-19-2006, 10:57 PM
Neat trick! I would've tossed the hard silicone out.

john hobdeclipe
07-19-2006, 11:06 PM
I'd be very leery of using any kind of silicone on or around your woodworking equipment, or around anything that eventually will have a finish applied to it.

Don't ask me how I know this. Suffice it to say that the day the plant manager called the entire rough mill and machine room (furniture mfg.) together to raise hell :mad: about the person using silicone spray on the machine tables, thereby cantaminating the surface of the wood, causing the finish not to adhere, and causing a complete shutdown of the finish room to get all the silicone cleaned out of everything, all the while another crew was stripping all the finished parts that had to be re-finished, and ruining countless sanding belts, etc., etc., well, he was looking right at me the whole time. :o

And here I thought I was being smart.

BobWarfield
07-20-2006, 03:09 PM
I'd be very leery of using any kind of silicone on or around your woodworking equipment, or around anything that eventually will have a finish applied to it.

Don't ask me how I know this. Suffice it to say that the day the plant manager called the entire rough mill and machine room (furniture mfg.) together to raise hell :mad: about the person using silicone spray on the machine tables, thereby cantaminating the surface of the wood, causing the finish not to adhere, and causing a complete shutdown of the finish room to get all the silicone cleaned out of everything, all the while another crew was stripping all the finished parts that had to be re-finished, and ruining countless sanding belts, etc., etc., well, he was looking right at me the whole time. :o

I bet they never found the bastid what did that either!

LOL,

BW

BillH
07-20-2006, 04:29 PM
Yeh, I heard silicone spray inside a car paint shop can be a disaster.

CCWKen
07-20-2006, 04:44 PM
Yeh, I heard silicone spray inside a car paint shop can be a disaster.

Yep. Don't allow it anywhere near my shop. Small droplets can blow in the air and travel over the entire shop. You get a little on your hands and it travels and multiplies too. It's like creeping invisible death to a paint job. :eek:

Evan
07-20-2006, 05:05 PM
Yep. Never use silicone based products on anything you want to paint. There are a number of car waxes out there that contain silicone and if you use them on a car then you can forget about painting it. Armor All, BTW, contains silicone in most of it's products including the Leather spray, Original Shine and the Ultimate Clean Protectant products.

nheng
07-20-2006, 05:07 PM
... well, he was looking right at me the whole time. :o

Just look 'em straight in the eye and don't blink ;)

pcarpenter
07-20-2006, 05:12 PM
Anyone know if WD-40 contains silicone? I tended to believe it did and am always paranoid as it tends to be fairly finely atomized, especially without the snorkel tube. I tend to use a quick shot on a rag for some quick cleanup things from time to time. It could easily blow all over stuff in a shop with a fan running...or not.

I found myself using it to quickly clean some stuff when rebuilding my mill. But then I had some castings in primer and I was terrified that some would blow over on that stuff and really mess things up. I wish I knew if my concerns were warranted. I can't blame a company for wanting to keep a formulation a secret. That's how they get our wives to pay the $500 a gallon rate for nail polish remover :D

I have used the MSDS info to find out if my hunch was correct about a few things that smelled like something I recognized from time to time.

S_J_H
07-20-2006, 05:43 PM
wd40 does not have any silicone in it that I am aware of. I have painted parts that have soaked in it and did not get any fish eyes. Just clean it off with any good detergent or solvent before painting.

Steve

Evan
07-20-2006, 05:49 PM
Nope, no silicone in WD-40. It's 70% Stoddard solvent and the rest is light mineral oil. That's it.

Update: It now contains around 50% Stoddard solvent, 25% mineral oil and the remainder is Exxsol D95 which is a LVP hydrocarbon fluid (Low Vapor Pressure). The LVP fluid is essentially highly refined kerosene/isoparaffin. This change was made to meet VOC standards. Still no silicone.

Alan in Oz
07-20-2006, 09:19 PM
For cleaning sanding disks of clogged material I use a piece of black polly pipe held endwise to the disk. Works a treat. Usual disclaimer.