Boring Bar Head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boring Bar Head

I just picked up Boring Head for my mini mill, it's MT2 shank and came with a 9 piece set of boring bars. I got it from Lathe Master. The set was &79.00.

I know the basic use of this boring head, but does anyone have any tricks or care and feeding suggestions?

Jerry
  • SGW
    • Apr 2001

Perhaps the most basic is to run it slowly enough when doing large holes. If you work out the feet per minute, you quickly discover that a boring head cutting a 2" hole in steel should be about 200 rpm, max. Add to that the amount of overhang and imbalance, and slow is Good.

The M2 shank has provision for a drawbar, I hope.
    ----------
    Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
    Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
    There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
    Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

• darryl
      • Jan 2003

Keep the gibs snug, lock the axis once aligned, and keep the quill snug enough to offer some resistance to the downfeed. Holes will be rounder.
      I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

This head does have a provision for a drawing bar. Slow is the way the way to go.

Thanks for the advice.

Jerry

Comment

Working...
        X